IGNORED

Adjusting valves...No clearance at the moment

Greg-2008R1200RT

Greg-2008R1200RT

1st valve adjustment I have ever done on any bike...2008 R1200RT....I believe I have the piston at top dead center....I tried the .15 and .30 feeler gauges on

the exhaust and intake valves but I don't have any clearance at all for the .15 intake or .30 exhaust.....This can be normal, or is this a sign that I have not

got top dead center yet?....Thanks for any replies...Greg

valve.jpg

valve2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Greg-2008R1200RT said:

1st valve adjustment I have ever done on any bike...2008 R1200RT....I believe I have the piston at top dead center....I tried the .15 and .30 feeler gauges on

the exhaust and intake valves but I don't have any clearance at all for the .15 intake or .30 exhaust.....This can be normal, or is this a sign that I have not

got top dead center yet?....Thanks for any replies...Greg

Evening Greg

Try rotating the crankshaft one complete turn back to TDC again, you probably are not on the compression stroke.  

If the other side valves are  loose then  this side will be tight. 

Greg-2008R1200RT
7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Greg

Try rotating the crankshaft one complete turn back to TDC again, you probably are not on the compression stroke.  

If the other side valves are  loose then  this side will be tight. 

so if I am on the wrong stroke on the right side.......I should go ahead and adjust the left side now?......(so I guess I am on the exhaust stroke on the right side?)....I am new

3 minutes ago, Greg-2008R1200RT said:

so if I am on the wrong stroke on the right side.......I should go ahead and adjust the left side now?......(so I guess I am on the exhaust stroke on the right side?)....I am new

Evening Greg

That's how I do it, I remove both valve covers, bring engine to TDC. Then I adjust the loose side, then I rotate the crankshaft one full turn back to TDC then adjust the other side. 

Since spark plugs (at least one pair) should be removed to assist with turning the engine over, use a pencil or arts paint brush to detect TDC. It works brilliantly as you do not need to be zero degree accurate. I only ever tried to use the TDC marks on the flywheel once on my oil head. That was a royal pain in the ass to rotate, look and spot all at once. Pencil works better.

Once your pencil doesn't come out any further, just check which side is loose and follow the instructions above ;)