IGNORED

2017 R1200GS Wind Screen Recommendation

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Not for me, but for my buddy (about 6'2"). Has a 2017 R1200GS. Hates the stock windscreen. Not enough protection. Also tried and hates Wunderlich and Aeroflow versions. Has a Werks Quiet Ride on his R1200RTW, but Werks doesn't make a GS version. Any advice or recommendations I can offer my friend?

Thanks!

Shields are like seats IMHO.  What works for you may or may not work for another guy.  All in your gear, how you sit the bike as far as what part of your body sits where and at what height and width those body parts hit at.  Then how do you ride, looking over or thru a shield?  Do you have a passenger on a regular basis?

Personally I do not believe one can use one shield year round unless you live in a 365 day riding climate.  I have a "Winter" and "Summer" shields as I need and expect different things from those shield at different times of the year.

My "Summer" shield is a AeroFlow and I love it.  I use the stock GS shield in "Winter". 

I have always wished shield manufactures would have trial shields so you could run it for a bit and if you liked it ship it back they ship you a new one using your deposit as partial payment on the new shield or your payment for shipping one way.  I mean I would pay 20 bucks to try a shield before I paid the money they ask for them now.

34 minutes ago, LAF said:

I have always wished shield manufactures would have trial shields so you could run it for a bit and if you liked it ship it back they ship you a new one using your deposit as partial payment on the new shield or your payment for shipping one way.  I mean I would pay 20 bucks to try a shield before I paid the money they ask for them now.

Getting the right size screen is the key to success. Even more important on a GS with no easy adjustment to height when riding. When you get it right, they do work all season. Unless you are an off road rider and that is done best.....with NO screen imo. 

Test screens seem like a good idea. I have thought about it. I could have 4-6 screens being sent out on trial. BUT....two things that castrate that! Shipping costs for an RT screen average about $35...each way. $70 in shipping cost total. Most owners won't pay that. Second is the same factor I face in clutch baskets. Customers won't send back the part in a timely manner or at all!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes I figured it was a pipe dream to have test screens but there is always hope.  Maybe get clubs up to it.  Where there are a few people who may be interested in the same screen to help defray cost.  It sure beats paying 200 + for a screen and then selling it for 100 to try and get some money back.  I know without a doubt I would give 10 bucks to the pot to try a new screen out even if I was not looking, just to be curious.

As far as my preference for screens that has been my thought process on all screens for all my bikes.  I tour only with maybe a fire road here and there on the gs.  I only run with a top case no side bags and solo.  So I only need to suit myself and that makes buying a screen a bit better.

Otherwise my needs are as others, a barn door in the winter to keep warm, and a fly screen in the summer to get air:4322:

So MANY years ago I quit looking for the perfect screen and find one for each 2 seasons they can cover.

Again where your shoulders, forearms/elbows, and helmet hit air stream.  Even how the air is directed outwards, how soon does it fall back into the side of the bike and cause drag. Are you getting the "Holy Grail Quiet Pocket" of air everyone talks about?    And again do you look through or over?  Even a helmet switch day can cause a screen adjustment on the GS.  Also sound, a wider, taller screen is going to deflect/direct more engine noise up and to you through the fork area on any of the BMW R bikes.  Just cant change that at all.

There is a screen out there for you, you just got to beg, borrow or steal one to try to find the "one'.

As I said AeroFlow fit my needs on the RT and the GS but it is again like seats what is good for you may not work for another.

I

I have a Puig on my GS.  Like it better than stock, tend to ride with in down in the summer. 

I'm 6' and long in the torso with a 30 inch inseam.  

22 hours ago, AZgman said:

I have the Vstream medium shield with good results. Others have reported good luck with the Puig windscreen as well

+1 and +1 .... I have the Vstream and like it and a buddy has the Puig and likes it too.  We both are also running a stabilizer as well.  Ztechnik makes a nice stabilizer for less than $100 

12 hours ago, LAF said:

Shields are like seats IMHO.  What works for you may or may not work for another guy.  All in your gear, how you sit the bike as far as what part of your body sits where and at what height and width those body parts hit at.  Then how do you ride, looking over or thru a shield?  Do you have a passenger on a regular basis?

Personally I do not believe one can use one shield year round unless you live in a 365 day riding climate.  I have a "Winter" and "Summer" shields as I need and expect different things from those shield at different times of the year.

My "Summer" shield is a AeroFlow and I love it.  I use the stock GS shield in "Winter". 

Most windshield manufacturers who attend rallys will mount and let you test ride their shields.   Have done this at Americade and MOA Rally.   But as already noted shipping costs prohibit shipping for testing size.   Some dealer used to stock Cee Baileys shields for testing as well. 

• Like 1

I have a V Stream Sport screen that I use for most of the year here in GA and a Puig touring screen that I put on for 4 months in the winter (Mid Nov-Mid March). I like the increased airflow and decreased buffiting of the V Stream over the stock screen.