IGNORED

2005 R1200RT First gear non-selection...

Imascott

Hello, this is my first post and I’m unfamiliar with the medium.  Please be patient. If I’m in the wrong section please re-direct me.

I have a 2005 R1200RT (70.000 Km Quebec, Canada) and bought it knowing the problem was there.

I’d like to know what procedure is needed to repair intermittent non-selection of first gear when pulling to a stop or from neutral at a stop.

Can this be done without dismantling the whole drivetrain? Is there a “quick fix” such as modifying/changing oil in the selector mechanism chamber?

The whole problematic is demonstrated in the attached Youtube clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4LwOnHikgk&feature=share

Thank you, looking forward to your input.

PS. I’m also looking for a hitch attachment for this bike... Any leads? The regular sources no longer produce one. 

Edited by Imascott
Typo

If it's only first gear and happens randomly, it's more likely to be "natural". The older oilhead boxes were famous for this. A bit of positive pressure on the gearshift lever or let the clutch out and try again usually works. Can you engage first gear the second time when this problem occurs?

I ended up making my own hitch, because I wanted to tow a single wheeler, coincidentally from your end of the woods, Armoric Design's Globe Sport. You may want to get in touch with them to see what they recommend. They are in Granby, The other option was a business on our East Coast, but their hitch was for traditional trailers, much bigger and bulkier than I wanted.

7 hours ago, Imascott said:

Hello, this is my first post and I’m unfamiliar with the medium.  Please be patient. If I’m in the wrong section please re-direct me.

I have a 2005 R1200RT (70.000 Km Quebec, Canada) and bought it knowing the problem was there.

I’d like to know what procedure is needed to repair intermittent non-selection of first gear when pulling to a stop or from neutral at a stop.

Can this be done without dismantling the whole drivetrain? Is there a “quick fix” such as modifying/changing oil in the selector mechanism chamber?

The whole problematic is demonstrated in the attached Youtube clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4LwOnHikgk&feature=share

Thank you, looking forward to your input.

PS. I’m also looking for a hitch attachment for this bike... Any leads? The regular sources no longer produce one. 

Morning Imascott

The procedure to repair is dependent on what is wrong with your transmission (if anything).

We either need to ride your motorcycle, OR you need to be VERY SPECIFIC in what is happening when you try to shift into first gear. 

Can you easily downshift to 1st gear if the motorcycle is moving????? Like shifting into 1st gear as the motorcycle rolls to a stop? 

When it won't shift into 1st does the shifter pedal have a limited stroke or do you get full pedal travel but no feeling of connection?

You might start by verifying that the little stub lever on the transmission shifter shaft is not loose & the retention  bolt is tight & not contacting anything. 

Also make sure that the ball joints between the shift lever & the stub shaft ball are free to articulate & are lubed with grease  (you need to fully remove the retaining clips to get then ball sockets off of the balls). 

If your problem  shifting into 1st is (ONLY at a standstill) then try quickly engaging the clutch (to spin up the input shaft) then quickly pull the clutch lever back in (to release clutch again)  then quickly try to shift into 1st. If this helps shift into 1st gear  then you are probably somewhat normal.  

The more info you can give & the more  COMPLETE info that you can give us on your problem then the  better we can help you diagnose you issue.