IGNORED

RT vs GS

Jharpphoto

I've had several iterations of my beloved RT.  Currently I ride a 2011 RT and couldn't be happier with it.  It does everything I ask with aplomb.  Lately however I've had an itch for a newer GS 1250.    I mostly do day trips but occasionally do longer rides.  The majority of my riding is commuting however so my bike needs to serve multiple purposes.   I guess my question is am I crazy?  What would I miss about my RT?  What will I love/hate about the GS?  Just spit balling here but curious about those that have experience on both steeds?  I'm going to attempt to post this on the GS forum as well to see how the answers differ.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.  

Coming off 3 RTs since ‘04 I can’t comment on a GS. I have never ridden one. I have owned many bikes, dirt and street and I will never do without an RT. The wet weather protection is superb. Good luck in your search. 

MontanaMark

Two things that I can think of...  Mind you, I don't now nor ever had a GS, only RT's.

1. Wind protection - the RT has this in spades, the GS, not so much.

2. Stopped height - I can flat foot on the RT and I'm 6'.  On my KLR, not.  You ought to see me trying to tip-toe it out of the garage {haha}. Maybe a low-seat option on a GS.

Just my 2cts.

Cheers,

Mark

Have had a couple of RT’s and a GSA. Personally think the GS gives up too much weather protection compared to the RT and only offers the advantages of cutting down fire trails and such.  Big boxers are just too heavy for serious off road riding for 90% of the riders out there. I did absolutely love my GSA and it was perfect for my Alaska ride four years ago. It’s got weather protection at least close to the RT, offers much more range, standard with pretty good crash protection all while offering long range comfort for those days en route to your favorite roads. 

Everything mikeym3 said. I had an RT, sold it to buy a factory-lowered GSA (I, too, am factory-lowered). I don't do cold weather, and to me "better weather protection on an RT" means "hot in summer". I really like the top-opening GSA panniers, my bike is my daily ride so not having groceries fall all over the place when I try to put them in the panniers is heaven. They're rectangular inside not weird-shaped so easier to load.  I don't use a top box. Also I'm a bit of a Luddite, I suppose, and the, um, less feature rich dash of the GS appeals to me. 

• Like 1

I had a 2009 GS that was totaled by Hurricane Harvey.  My wife and I both miss that bike.  With Jesse bags and trunk you could really pack more stuff for a long trip.  I live in the south so during summer wind was my friend.  The GS had a better (softer) ride.  I liked not having so much plastic on the motorcycle.  On the other hand, the RT handles better, fuel mileage is much better, has cruise control, is lower to the ground.    One other thing about the GS, it was capable of riding to Platoro Colorado on NFS roads.  Both are very good choices.

6 hours ago, Paul Monk said:

One other thing about the GS, it was capable of riding to Platoro Colorado on NFS roads.  Both are very good choices.

Oh, I think that talk deserves a picture or two. :grin: Funny, looking at the map, a few years ago a buddy and I were making our way back to Salida to pick up the truck and head home when I called Bill (roadscholar) from my bike for route advice. That looks like it might have been a worthy stay in Colorado one more day diversion. :thumbsup:

I had a 2009 GS that was totaled by Hurricane Harvey.  My wife and I both miss that bike.  With Jesse bags and trunk you could really pack more stuff for a long trip.  I live in the south so during summer wind was my friend.  The GS had a better (softer) ride.  I liked not having so much plastic on the motorcycle.  On the other hand, the RT handles better, fuel mileage is much better, has cruise control, is lower to the ground.    One other thing about the GS, it was capable of riding to Platoro Colorado on NFS roads.  Both are very good choices.

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1628.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
roadscholar
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Those pics alone are enough incentive to drive across Kansas, again! :D

IMG_1368.JPG

I confess I wasn't on a GS that day because Kenny Haynes and I were exploring a section of my 1500 mi Colorado dirt loop and didn't know what kind of conditions to expect. We started in Saquache and rode south over a few passes then thru Platoro to Hwy 17 where Kenny went on to Chama and Taos on his way back to Tennessee (after riding the TAT out) and I headed north back to Salida. It turned out to be all GS-able except for maybe the shortcut out of Saquache (over a ridge and thru the woods) Kenny found on his GPS while he was waiting for me at the rendezvous point. 

IMG_1197.JPG

I think he mumbled, no worries we got this : )

IMG_1204.JPG

Okay maybe a little drama, we both got across here okay.

IMG_1221.JPG

altho right here my back tire decided to go a different direction than the front (you'd think by now I'd know to not skirt the edge, notice Kenny's tire tracks in the middle)

IMG_1224.JPG

and after a couple bovine encounters (they're a bit unpredictable and Kenny's not taking any chances : )

IMG_1256.JPG

it was smooth sailing.

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

Oh, except when this dude came flying over the blind crest and scared us pretty good.

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

It was one of those rides/days you don't soon forget, really good stuff.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG 

having a great riding partner sure didn't hurt either..

IMG_0703 (1).JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kH4QitU4OCzJlq0mXsLdc8jFz-Y2uUM0&usp=sharing

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
szurszewski
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

IMG_1368.JPG

I confess I wasn't on a GS that day because Kenny Haynes and I were exploring a section of my 1500 mi Colorado dirt loop and didn't know what kind of conditions to expect. We started in Saquache and rode south over a few passes then thru Platoro to Hwy 17 where Kenny went on to Chama and Taos on his way back to Tennessee (after riding the TAT out) and I headed north back to Salida. It turned out to be all GS-able except for maybe the shortcut out of Saquache (over a ridge and thru the woods) Kenny found on his GPS while he was waiting for me at the rendezvous point. 

IMG_1197.JPG

I think he mumbled, no worries we got this : )

IMG_1204.JPG

Okay maybe a little drama, we both got across here okay.

IMG_1221.JPG

altho right here my back tire decided to go a different direction than the front (you'd think by now I'd know to not skirt the edge)

IMG_1224.JPG

and after a couple cow encounters  

IMG_1256.JPG

it was smooth sailing.

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

Oh, except when this dude came flying over the blind crest and scared us pretty good.

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

It was one of those rides/days you don't soon forget, really good stuff.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG 

having a great riding partner sure didn't hurt either..

IMG_0703 (1).JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kH4QitU4OCzJlq0mXsLdc8jFz-Y2uUM0&usp=sharing

Alright, you convinced me - I’m buying a GS. Now, when do we get to have a bmwst absolutely not a rally small group ride on that route?

• Like 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Alright, you convinced me - I’m buying a GS. Now, when do we get to have a bmwst absolutely not a rally small group ride on that route?

You already have one : )  Assuming you mean the whole thing I'd love a smallish group pre-ride it, maybe you and Pat could coordinate something. At 200+ miles a day (some are longer than others) it could take up to a week or so. I've got a pretty good idea where stops for food, fuel, and motels (or camping) are but that'll probably need some tweaking. Best time would be July to October, any sooner or later might inhibit some of the passes due to snowpack. I like mid/late September when the leaves are changing but it's more of a crapshoot with the weather, altho so far (10-11 years) it's always been worth it. Here are some shots from other sections.

Southeastern.

056.JPG

124.JPG

118.JPG

130.JPG

East

136.JPG

139.JPG

157.JPG

Central

013-L.jpg

077.jpg

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

Northeast (The Colorado)

354.JPG

236.JPG

267.JPG

272.JPG

265.JPG

Fall weather is iffy but usually not for long. Would've made it over Buffalo Pass but for a big RV stuck in the middle of the road, was a little too treacherous going around.

437.JPG

Next day, North.

057.JPG

054.JPG

088.JPG

West central (between Buford and Rifle)

175.JPG

214.JPG

West

109.JPG

108.JPG

080.JPG

092.JPG

Enough for now you probably get the idea : )

• Like 4
szurszewski
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

You already have one : )  Assuming you mean the whole thing I'd love a smallish group to pre-ride it, maybe you and Pat could coordinate something. At 200+ miles a day (some are longer than others) it could take up to a week or so. I've got a pretty good idea where stops for food, fuel, and motels (or camping) are but that'll probably need some tweaking. Best time would be July to October, any sooner or later might inhibit some of the passes due to snowpack. I like mid/late September when the leaves are changing but it's more of a crapshoot with the weather, altho so far (10-11 years) it's always been worth it. Here are some shots from other sections.

Southeastern.

124.JPG

130.JPG

East

138.JPG

157.JPG

Central

013-L.jpg

077.jpg

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

Northeast

267.JPG

272.JPG

265.JPG

Fall weather's iffy but usually not for long. Would've made it over Buffalo Pass but for a big RV stuck in the road, was a little too treacherous going around.

437.JPG

Next day, North.

057.JPG

054.JPG

088.JPG

West central.

175.JPG

214.JPG

West

109.JPG

108.JPG

080.JPG

092.JPG

Enough for now you probably get the idea : )

Oh right - good point. 

As it happens I’m essentially free July-October...

Bill, I don't know what kind of effort it would take but you should put together a book/guide of the Colorado 1500! :thumbsup: You've got the pictures, the maps are stored upstairs and along with a short descriptive post, you've got a Best Seller right there! :clap:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Oh right - good point. 

As it happens I’m essentially free July-October...

I realize you know Bill but I will tell you, he'll not steer you wrong as far as seeing some amazing parts of Colorado! He takes into account your riding ability and carefully selects routes that fit it. :thumbsup: Oops...well there was the Black Bear incident but I forgave him for that! :rofl:

• Like 1
szurszewski
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I realize you know Bill but I will tell you, he'll not steer you wrong as far as seeing some amazing parts of Colorado! He takes into account your riding ability and carefully selects routes that fit it. :thumbsup: Oops...well there was the Black Bear incident but I forgave him for that! :rofl:

I thought when he offered to pick me up and drive us to dinner he was being polite - but now I suspect he just thinks I can’t ride. To be fair, that’s not a wholly inaccurate conclusion. 

I feel a little bad that I’m leading a hijack of this thread, but the OP hasn’t come back yet to tell us what the GS forum guys said, so I suppose we have to talk about something while we wait...

• Like 1

this is really making me miss my GS.  

I didn't do much off road riding due health problems.  But a GS really is the do everything very well bike.

• Like 1

Don't feel bad, conversations evolve as they go. It'd get pretty boring if we only talked about and liked Michelin tires period. :grin: If you walk away from the fire pit it's on you to catch up! ;)

roadscholar

Ok we (I) may have strayed off course slightly altho it is plausible we're just highlighting a few reasons why someone might choose one bike over another : ) If a mod wants to move it to a more appropriate section, fine.

Pat I like the book idea, the implementation of which I'm not quite as sure, that could involve WORK..

Josh, happy to give you a lift anytime while you're learning to ride. :grin:

I had in mind the route starting/ending in Salida and going counterclockwise but being a loop it can start anywhere really. Not only do we have friends in high places there, it's one of a few spots where there's ample opportunity for out and back day rides. Others being the Kremmling area and the San Juan's. Example:

Salida from the West.

013.JPG

Taylor Mt. loop

026.JPG

038.JPG

052.JPG

Although maybe stretching it on a GS there are alternatives

IMG_1068.JPG

And everyone knows where this is, the gateway to a plethora of unending roads and trails.

014.JPG

A few to the south where a small bike or 4wd would be more advisable.

012.JPG

037.JPG

looking North

072.JPG

and East

076.JPG

• Like 5
6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Ok we (I) may have strayed off course slightly altho it is plausible we're just highlighting a few reasons why someone might choose one bike over another : )

This thread is indeed way off course. Goodness, someone call a moderator.  This RT bashing happens every time an innocent poster puts up the RT v. GS question.  And as expected, all the exotic GS pictures come flying out in some kind of subversive effort to paint the picture that the RT is some kind of boring old steed ridden by adventure-less riders.  Unbelievable.  I am here to paint a different picture. An accurate picture as a lover of truth.  At the root of it, this is an RT site after all.

Here we go.  Hold on to your smooth grips.

Here is one of my RTs, getting ready to go down a very straight road.  Awesome.

20140515_191801-M.jpg

This road had a slight curve, but fortunately straightened right out.  Whew.  

20140516_104247-M.jpg

RTs are uniquely suited to take you to the most remote destinations like no other bike can.

2014-05-17%2016.55.03-M.jpg

Here the RT almost completed a curve, but I exercised the option to deploy it's kickstand, which comes standard on the RT.

2014-05-17%2020.32.36-M.jpg

Here's two RTs banding together.  They almost went completely off road but the auto-deploying centerstands prevented such recklessness.  RTs are safe.

i-7xBmdT6-M.jpg

Here is my first RT.  Even the new ones know where the BBQ is.  You don't see GS riders stop for food this often.

i-X2pNkGr-M.jpg

It's rare, but sometimes Killboy is occasionally fast enough to catch an RT in the Dragon.  Must have been some fast shutter speed, I'll tell ya.  Look at that lane placement, safely in the middle. Just like an RT can.

i-xjCWgqF.jpg

You think RTs are afraid of the fire roads near the BRP?  They can see them just fine from here. Terra firma is the way.

i-MD6t2cT-M.jpg

Texas Hill Country river crossings?  If there is a nice level stretch of pavement in your way, the RT is the way to go, baby.

2020041619340504--1352869016446854213-IM

And lastly, at the end of a long day of riding, the best way to nurse your non-involved, very stiff body from remaining not engaged throughout your entire ride no matter the terrain which really should only be pavement, is by choosing the RT which can completely restore you by hauling your super outdoorsey  but very clean and largely unused camping gear to the remotest but very level state park only carefully graded sites, as long as you have water and power, oh and facilities nearby.  The RT clearly is the better choice for your trusty steed since no other bike can get really close to that slippery gravel without going in and dirtying your unscuffed boots too much, certainly not the too tall tractor like large wheeled utilitarian GS, no.  Just the ever shiny RT.  Yep.

2020041619284354--1580318582058461439-IM

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
roadscholar

Pfftt,  au contraire mon frere. GS, the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. All day comfort.. check.

IMG_1293.JPG

Long straight road, no problemo.

IMG_1298.JPG

dirt, paved, hot, cold.

IMG_1231.JPG

Almost level campsite with all the comforts of home, 10-4.

IMG_1227.JPG

Looks good in the parking lot (and hangs with anybody, nein elitist : )

IMG_1306.JPG

The real question is, can an RT herd Elk..  

IMG_1251.JPG

Dusty boots, guilty. :) 

IMG_1269.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
17 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Pfftt,  au contraire mon frere.

Do YOU have any pictures of any GS tractors in front of the famed Muscle Shoals studios, elevation 499'?  I think not. Not a GS in sight.  RTs are music lovers.  Look at that gravel handling.  It's easy to push an RT onto gravel, occasionally.

2020041715542314-3332300922542711403-IMG

I rode a GS once.  ONCE.  Got my shiny boots all wet.  Ruined them.  Never rode one again.  Those things are dangerous. Terrible weather handling.

i-P7hfQ8h-M.jpg

This is what those nice boots used to look like when the RT was involved.  There is no RT in this photo as they are too smart to ride in National Parks where they are not supposed to go.  RTs are patriotic and environmentally sensitive.

i-6cPNL6R-M.jpg

And no, I don't think an RT can herd Elk, but pretty sure it does fairly well around sheep, but I KNOW it can herd people.  It attracts machinists, really good cookie makers, scrapbookers, snotty-nosed kids, EPA engineers, Google Engineers, and even some guy named Shawn.  I'll put all of those people up against your Kenny Haynes and they equal at least a half a Kenny in good sense, looks, experience and motorcycle riding talent.   RTs love people.

i-XJt6R3G-M.jpg

• Like 3
roadscholar

Well it's hard to get GS riders to gather for photos because they aren't lethargic and group-think homies like RT riders, unlike Elk they are un-herd-able, independent, and self sufficient. One has to be quick with the camera.

068.jpg

they would much rather be enjoying nature, the bike is just a means to a greater purpose. In fact the GS is a force of nature in itself..

043.jpg

GS riders in their natural habitat.

103.jpg

GS riders when an RT rider (poser) shows up and asks them to pose. Reluctantly they appease him, even with the amazing backdrop only they can access.  

099.jpg

And GS's are not dangerous, in fact it's the RT's that are dangerous, even the Po-Po have a tough time controlling it's hooligan tendencies.

599177eaed726e2ac2592c96ffc37d17.jpg 

Alternatively the GS is so docile it's pilot can maneuver it gracefully with one hand behind his back.

[IMG]

Muscle Shoals, admittedly a place of prominent stature in it's day, I do not have a photo. Although I'd just mention that one of the world's greatest musicians and an excellent author, Neil Peart (RIP) chose to travel exclusively by GS  when traversing the globe. GS's like music and musicians like them.

Bubba_cleaned_up.jpg

Clean boots are for 'girly men’.. they're going to get dirty, get used to it.  :grin:

140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3.jpg

Quick question, how may races have RT's won?  I'll wait  : )

bmw-r100gs_2.jpg

• Like 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Neil Peart (RIP) chose to travel exclusively by GS

His first BMW - the supposedly surprise gift from his wife - was something else, right? A K bike maybe? 

But I have read many quotes where he describes the GS line as the best thing going. 

roadscholar
5 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

His first BMW - the supposedly surprise gift from his wife - was something else, right? A K bike maybe? 

But I have read many quotes where he describes the GS line as the best thing going. 

Ah, a GS rider in training, we don’t sweat the details, the big picture will set you free : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Ah, a GS rider in training, we don’t sweat the details, the big picture will set you free : )

When I met you I think you were riding an RT, among other bikes, and it seemed to suit you well enough back then. Times they do change.

• Haha 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, dduelin said:

When I met you I think you were riding an RT, among other bikes, and it seemed to suit you well enough back then. Times they do change.

You are correct sir I have ridden many miles on RT’s from airheads to oilheads to hexheads and enjoyed them all. Effortless speed, LD comfort, exemplary weather protection, they’re almost too competent (boring?). I needed more pizzazz,  plus I kept veering off into the woods which was all wrong, for me there had to be a better way.

• Like 1

Kenny just called.  He said "Jake, well played.  Bill went for it as we predicted years ago.  Drop the hammer as hard as Neil Peart hit those drums and end this thing once and for all.  And forever shall the RT rule."  

I humbly submit the following incontrovertible evidence as my final submission.  Jharpphoto, you may now proceed with your purchase of an RT, and enjoy. Revel in your superior choice.  Signed, your brother forever, Jake.

Neal Peart's GS, June 2015, during his visit to Two Wheels Only, Suches, Georgia.

i-G3k8HcX-M.jpg

Jake's RT #2, Black Betty,  May 2014. Way prior to NP's visit.  First person to ever take residence in Two Wheels Only solo cabins, freshly built.  Trailblazer.  Envy of Rock Stars.  Only as an RT rider can do.

20140517_143650-XL.jpg

Neil Peart, drummer, author, The Professor, rider, hiker, cook, rower, philosopher, Bubba, lover of Macallan, Canadian, was constantly stalking me in an attempt to be just like the regular cool kids. 

The RT is first, forever, fantastic, and final.  

Mods, you know what to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Jharpphoto, you may now proceed with your purchase of an RT

I know the first post is, like, WAY up there, and you probably are too busy removing body work for some simple maintenance task like checking your tire pressure or adjusting your hand warmer vents, so I’ll clarify and say @Jharpphoto says he already has an RT. Apparently it just may not be enough to satisfy him. 

;)

• Like 1

My RT can go any where your GS can go, and LOOK GOOD doing it!

20170712_091900.thumb.jpg.c2223efc6cc5ab2b889bc8597c3b23b7.jpg

20170711_173048.thumb.jpg.83b1117a94ef1eda4ffdf39684cc96da.jpg

20170711_170124.thumb.jpg.3ac54931e2978109ba957b67884a7923.jpg

20180712_163956.thumb.jpg.49d00776f0931510856731717e774d55.jpg

20180722_075441.thumb.jpg.b3059f74b40428902fd5380dc5406856.jpg

584332062_prefartday1b.jpg.a83b5ce02992c186deb8025d7106a9e0.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-04-18-00h37m11s959.thumb.png.550441484282abddaf5981baac6daa0b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Kenny just called.  He said "Jake, well played.  Bill went for it as we predicted years ago.  Drop the hammer as hard as Neil Peart hit those drums and end this thing once and for all.  And forever shall the RT rule."  

I humbly submit the following incontrovertible evidence as my final submission.  Jharpphoto, you may now proceed with your purchase of an RT, and enjoy. Revel in your superior choice.  Signed, your brother forever, Jake.

Neal Peart's GS, June 2015, during his visit to Two Wheels Only, Suches, Georgia.

i-G3k8HcX-M.jpg

Jake's RT #2, Black Betty,  May 2014. Way prior to NP's visit.  First person to ever take residence in Two Wheels Only solo cabins, freshly built.  Trailblazer.  Envy of Rock Stars.  Only as an RT rider can do.

20140517_143650-XL.jpg

Neil Peart, drummer, author, The Professor, rider, hiker, cook, rower, philosopher, Bubba, lover of Macallan, Canadian, was constantly stalking me in an attempt to be just like the regular cool kids. 

The RT is first, forever, fantastic, and final.  

Mods, you know what to do.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg.29b0fe1151294d79ed254d05daed1517.jpg

• Haha 1
terryofperry

Where no RT has gone before.........

vlcsnap-2020-04-18-00h37m11s959.png.a4360b058586c583b4c36d85252734f2.thumb.png.45a33957db4bcee40fd28d242c003522.png

Wait....What is that leading the way?????......It can't be......:5188:....Yes it is....A GS leading the way.......

GS3.thumb.png.92b0eb2f6b46fa730fa3be9a4a28a29b.png

Terry

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, terryofperry said:

Where no RT has gone before.........

vlcsnap-2020-04-18-00h37m11s959.png.a4360b058586c583b4c36d85252734f2.thumb.png.45a33957db4bcee40fd28d242c003522.png

Wait....What is that leading the way?????......It can't be......:5188:....Yes it is....A GS leading the way.......

GS3.thumb.png.92b0eb2f6b46fa730fa3be9a4a28a29b.png

Terry

Welp, yes Sir, that's a very gooder point! :18:

And while it's true a GS is in fact leading at this point;  the day started with a sturdy, sure footed and reliable RT leading the entire way down. Until this. And, the day finished with the RT leading the way home as well. And under it's own power. The GS was too tired to go home under it's own power and opted to ride back home in the back of a Amphibious Rescue Vehicle.     :4317:

Keep in mind, the RT is a righteous steed, and is God's choice for overcoming the evil one:

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.db4ce77d958b454a4d6ad8896bcd051a.JPG

But the RT can do so much more than water crossings no mortal bike could do and slaying Hwy 666, RT's are able to climb steep inclines as well . . .

269133405_Screenshot(45).thumb.png.411ae57ebc3dc5de2b7abbce8a029ecf.png

• Haha 2

One thing - about the GS - both a liability and asset - is the reduced fuel range compared to the RT. (OP, you will miss this).

On the other hand, desperate searches for fuel have led to some great stories. One case in point, with GSJoe on fumes, we detour in CA to quench it's thirst. Which led us to this encounter with a long lost (and very spacey Hoosier girl)! I love the expression of the guy in the purple shirt as the spacey  (and quite friendly) girl invades the conversation. Note she can't wait to get her arms around Yours Truly. Twice. That's why everyone wants to ride with dudes that have RT's - the bike attracts the highest caliber woman.

Bonus points for the GS in this category. (turn up the resolution on the video to remove the pixelation)

• Haha 1
RandyShields

>>> That's why everyone wants to ride with dudes that have RT's - the bike attracts the highest caliber woman.

In today's social distancing environment, this is actually a liability so think carefully about who is attracted to which bike.

• Haha 1
roadscholar
18 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

My RT can go any where your GS can go, and LOOK GOOD doing it!

20180712_163956.thumb.jpg.49d00776f0931510856731717e774d55.jpg

:facepalm:   C'mon man, yer makin' it hard on yourself : )

Just a few of the folks around here that used to ride RT's.. 

139-L.jpg

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

166.jpg

198.jpg

Water crossing 101, having the right tool helps (a lot : )

Rightspin

IMG_0597.JPG

lawnchairboy

IMG_0602.JPG

yours truly (800GS)

IMG_1320.JPG

Huzband, going in.

IMG_3365_7.jpg

.. coming out

IMG_3379_17.jpg

one of our local guys, mr. guns

IMG_0649.JPG

mr. guns on my 800

IMG_3204.JPG

TEWKS

515.jpg

Water events are (almost) always fun. :grin:

DSC01756.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
lawnchairboy
On 4/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, Jharpphoto said:

I've had several iterations of my beloved RT.  Currently I ride a 2011 RT and couldn't be happier with it.  It does everything I ask with aplomb.  Lately however I've had an itch for a newer GS 1250.    I mostly do day trips but occasionally do longer rides.  The majority of my riding is commuting however so my bike needs to serve multiple purposes.   I guess my question is am I crazy?  What would I miss about my RT?  What will I love/hate about the GS?  Just spit balling here but curious about those that have experience on both steeds?  I'm going to attempt to post this on the GS forum as well to see how the answers differ.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.  

best wishes with the VVT cam.