IGNORED

BMW R18 is out.

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

US configurator hope you like black. No models with fairings have been shown.

Main page

So 761lbs ready to ride, twenty seven inch seat height, with little over four gallon tank. 

to be honest, no thank you. at least in this configuration I have zero interest. They really needed a BMW white in the mix.

Bill_Walker

I think it lost a lot in translation from concept, which had stylistic links to pre-WWII BMWs, to production, which looks like they ordered an aftermarket soft-tail frame from Drag Specialties and stuck a boxer motor and driveshaft in it.

Nope!

Just doesn't look right.  The only thing I like is the retro gas tank design, other than that, send it back to the CAD folks for redesign

image.png.ea6afeccf1e198b5397d3b545a120f48.png

91 HP and 116 lb-ft of Torque :5146: is not all that impressive either.

Good luck BMW, I think you may have built yourself a Hindenburg. :facepalm: 

21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

"It'll go down like a Lead Zepplin!!"

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I hope it sells.

I do too for the simple fact that, it costs a lot of money to design the perfect adventure bike! :grin:

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That's right in big cruiser territory where it's heresy to chase horsepower. It's all about torque in that camp.

2018 Harley-Davidson Softail Fat Bob 114 Dyno | Cycle World

RandyShields

Got a link to the You tube reveal video from my dealer today.  Lots of hugging and non-social distancing going on at the beginning.  Obviously filmed more that a few months ago!

13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I almost used that one! :grin: :thumbsup:

You do know that's how the bands title came about ;)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dduelin said:

I wouldn't want to get my chaps caught in the exposed driveshaft. I'm really surprised that got into production.

Sorry Reputah the Beautah, but you gots to walk! :grin:

240af06e7ec5a2b9ee999ccdc21ae0ac.jpg

fourteenfour
1 hour ago, dduelin said:

I wouldn't want to get my chaps caught in the exposed driveshaft. I'm really surprised that got into production.

I have read elsewhere that they could not get it approved in the EU

That is perhaps the ugliest muffler I have ever seen. Harley will eat their lunch, as will Triumph with the new Rocket III. But, I have been wrong before, so...

• Like 2

Surprised it requires premium fuel and only 9.6:1 compression ratio. Only 3.5” rear suspension travel. Exposed driveshaft u-joint, hell what do I know?

15 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Reputah the Beautah, 

So weird to quote yourself I know :grin: but, anyone? ^

edit...sure most know but having a short attention span...I'll give it up. :grin:

Must Of Got Lost

Not sure if this is aimed for the younger crowd...but yet the younger crowd can't afford a 20K motorcycle w/ tax....  some can but majority.....probably not.

17 minutes ago, wclambjr said:

Not sure if this is aimed for the younger crowd...but yet the younger crowd can't afford a 20K motorcycle w/ tax....  some can but majority.....probably not.

Seems to me from the vid posted above, they’re aiming for the aging hipster pictured below. Admittedly, I don’t get out much, but does this demographic really exist and roam the earth in large numbers, anywhere? :dontknow:

d4e1674b896135e6d1a41d460a8e3d28.jpg

fourteenfour

Aging white hipster, only in Germany would this ad campaign work. The only thing not white in their video was the bikes.

Berlin Made, Made in Berlin, oh that is going to play well. 

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

So weird to quote yourself I know :grin: but, anyone? ^

edit...sure most know but having a short attention span...I'll give it up. :grin:

Must Of Got Lost

Oh I knew Raputah, it made me laugh, couldn't help but hear it in my head.

This is Wooba Gooba with the green teeth, let me in!

• Haha 1
lawnchairboy
23 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I think it lost a lot in translation from concept, which had stylistic links to pre-WWII BMWs, to production, which looks like they ordered an aftermarket soft-tail frame from Drag Specialties and stuck a boxer motor and driveshaft in it.

Agree 100%

It is definitely aimed at a different crowd than those of us riding RT's and GS's.  But would be a neat 2nd or 3rd bike for short rides .... an hour or so or for around town jaunts.   It looks like what a lot of the "customizers" are building our of BMW motors in Europe.   As most of you indicated probably not for me but a neat styling effort.   I too hope they do well with it. 

I will be the dissenter and say I like it. I don't go in for cruisers from a riding standpoint, but I do from a stylistic standpoint. I like the look, especially the exposed driveshaft. Yeah, its dangerous and impracticable but what the hell. I am sure they will offer boatloads of customization options to further drain wallets but what the hell.  

• Like 1
roadscholar
13 hours ago, RTinNC said:

It is definitely aimed at a different crowd than those of us riding RT's and GS's.  

A point I’ve been trying to make for awhile, the folks on this site are not it's target, we are minuscule in the big picture. It’s aimed at the cruiser crowd and specifically upmarket at H-D. I can't find the current numbers but in 2014 (probably not terribly different from now) Harley had a 35% market share of motorcycle sales in the US. BMW had a 4% share and that's apples to apples because both sell predominately  large displacement bikes (unlike the Japanese and KTM spread across a wide range). If BMW can infiltrate and lure away 5% of Harley's market (granted that's a lot) it doubles their market share. That's why they're doing it, mucho $$ at stake.

Personally I like it aesthetically, altho not the ergos. Could it have been better, probably but the real world dictates some concessions. After all they started with a clean slate not an 80 year old design using modern components. It's a little late in the game and could've been a homerun ten or even five years ago but should still inflict some damage on Indian and Harley sales (adding to their woes). Look for a different type rider coming soon to a BMW showroom near you : )

fourteenfour

It can be aimed at the cruiser market all the want but words I would never have believed I would say, a Harley weighs a lot less cost far less too!

roadscholar

"They" don't give a crap how much it weighs, the real question is how many burnouts will it survive in front of the Cabbage Patch and Boot Hill Saloon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

"They" don't give a crap how much it weighs, the real question is how many burnouts will it survive in front of the Cabbage Patch and Boot Hill Saloon.  

agreed, after all that’s the litmus test for such bikes, beyond that I’m not sure what purpose they serve.  I do wonder; however, exactly how loud can these possibly be with straight pipes?

I do prefer that one myself, but that muffler does not look like it belongs there.  The ends should have terminated just at the front of the tire.

• Like 1

If I were in the market for a cruiser, I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.  This is so over the top and unusual with that gigantic boxer.  It's the anti-V-twin!  And that big pipe could be a musical instrument in an orchestra....or maybe a bubble machine in a cartoon! This thing defines "out of the box" and while we've all got our opinion....well, it seems that there are a lot of us "opining" about it.  

So, Harley says to BMW:  "Here's my PanAm" and I'm going to ride it all over your forest".  BMW replies:  "Here's my R18, and I'm going to park it in your yard!".  

13 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

It can be aimed at the cruiser market all the want but words I would never have believed I would say, a Harley weighs a lot less cost far less too!

Do we even know the cost and weight yet? 

To have your knees bent at 100 degrees on a cruiser is in direct conflict with the definition of a cruiser.  Old guys with bad knees need to stretch those rusty joints out to a maximum of 80 degrees.   That’s a big strike against this bike.   

fourteenfour
7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Do we even know the cost and weight yet? 

first post, 761lbs ready to ride

base price is 18k but configuration page is focused on first edition which if loaded up is 22k

38 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

first post, 761lbs ready to ride

base price is 18k but configuration page is focused on first edition which if loaded up is 22k

Too heavy, and a little too expensive. Not bad looking, imo. Needs drag pipes...

On 4/3/2020 at 3:29 PM, TEWKS said:

Following in the Harley vein, maybe they'll offer a screaming chicken package with lots of chrome bist to up HP. Aside from that I pity BMWNA's dealer network having to take on this pig of a bike at a time where sales of anything may be iffy for a long while. All that said, WTF happened to the original design they teased up with? I mean really, WTF? Is there really a market for a retro-turd of a bike like this and if so just who the hell is it?

• Like 1

What a POS  IMO.  In fact I would walk before ever wasting jack on this junk.  I think BMW should maybe improve things like product reliability and cost to maintain before wasting time and money producing jokes like this.  All this said no doubt there are nit wits especially hereabouts that will go for this kind of thing.  I mean look at the proliferation of these three wheelers.  There is a large segment of our population with more money than sense.  Again IMO for what little it's worth.

I saw my late brother go from racing flat track on an XR750 to one of those three wheelers due to cancer. Never say never my friend. 

• Like 1

It looks much better without that bulbous muffler. I took a shot at configuring one and came up with this. 

cosySec.jpeg

• Like 3

There was a time when BMWNA lurked on this and other BMW motoraad forums. I know this from personal experience because they contacted me RE a thread I started about the dreaded surge issue. Here's hoping they still do that and put this monstrosity to death before they ruin their styling reputation for good.

Who would have thought the GS would have had such an influence on design so many years ago? You never know, this one might have the same effect.

roadscholar

They (BMWNA) probably aren’t lurking here for feedback on this one but if so maybe they read my previous post (either one). They don’t give a flying fartimus what people on this forum think, it ain’t about us. How many times do I need to say it, maybe all caps would help : )

2 hours ago, Jeff in VA said:

It looks much better without that bulbous muffler. I took a shot at configuring one and came up with this. 

cosySec.jpeg

Honestly, I like it. I liked the concept much better than the basic bike, especially the pipes. Jeff, you did a pretty nice configuration job on it, especially the pipes. I like it much better than the base model. I suspect that eventually there will be people making custom parts for the bike, addressing both performance and aesthetics,  just like Harley. I look forward to riding one but probably wouldn't buy one till there was a faired version available because its just too cold along the central California coast. 

Many of the comments in this thread are not supportive of the R18. I appreciate that and sorta expected it since so many here are hard-core tourers or adventurers or both and the R18 is neither. Its really a man-accessory. Its purpose is to look good and make you look good on or near it. I'm sure there are many people including upper management at BMW Motorrad that true BMW MC fanatics too but they don't own the company. Investors do. And, for the most part, investor only care about financial return on their investment. A commonly-quoted corporate truism is that a company is either growing or dying. So BMW had no choice but to enter some other market space to grow the company. The large bike market is where a lot of the MC money is spent in North America and other countries. Large bikes are a core competency for BMW so competing with HD and Indian had to be one of the growth options they looked at. Eventually, probably after a year of exploring market options, they chose the cruiser market. "Why?", you might ask. Here's one possible reason. HD sells about 28K bikes a year in the US and Indian a growing fraction of that (I couldn't find sales number for Indian). By comparison, BMW sells about 13K bikes  in the US. If they can take even 5% of the market from HD/Indian, they will grow their North American revenue by ~10%. So it's not surprising the BMW entered this market, even if the cruiser market is slowing. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of you nor criticizing anyone's comments. I'm just looking at it from the BMW corporate perspective. And it's just my opinion.

Cheers...

Miguel!

• Like 1