IGNORED

hole in R1150RT crankcase

SteveZ

On my 2004 R1150RT, there is a pre-drilled hole in the crankcase right behind the oil filter (at 6 o'clock on the picture).  It is not threaded, so it must have had a factory plug in it? Anybody know what this is for? The plug is gone (long story...but the bike & I fell down...), and I am not sure if there is a stock plug replacement? Can I simply plug it up with some JB Weld?

Thoughts anyone?

IMG_3294.PNG

10 hours ago, SteveZ said:

On my 2004 R1150RT, there is a pre-drilled hole in the crankcase right behind the oil filter (at 6 o'clock on the picture).  It is not threaded, so it must have had a factory plug in it? Anybody know what this is for? The plug is gone (long story...but the bike & I fell down...), and I am not sure if there is a stock plug replacement? Can I simply plug it up with some JB Weld?

Thoughts anyone?

Morning SteveZ

That is about all I can give is thoughts. I pulled up my detailed photo of the inside of the BMW 1150 crankcase & it looks like a like a vertical oil passage just above that hole so "my educated guess"  is that hole is/was to allow the machining that verticle oil passage during the engine case machining process.

I m-i-g-h-t also  have been used for a locating datum point for engine case machining or handling. (again just a guess)

Yes...that does sound like what it might be...a machining reference point / access point. Any thoughts on plugging it up? Maybe tap it and put a second oil plug in it? Not sure how hard the metal case is...

38 minutes ago, SteveZ said:

Yes...that does sound like what it might be...a machining reference point / access point. Any thoughts on plugging it up? Maybe tap it and put a second oil plug in it? Not sure how hard the metal case is...

Message deleted due to lack of helpful content.  

Well...it’s an open hole right now...whatever sealed it before “...the bike and I fell down...” is gone....I need to seal it back up again somehow.

58 minutes ago, SteveZ said:

Well...it’s an open hole right now...whatever sealed it before “...the bike and I fell down...” is gone....I need to seal it back up again somehow.

Morning SteveZ

OK, sorry,  that changes things, I didn't see that the hole was open on my small  smart phone screen. I can see it better now on my larger computer screen. 

I think the factory plug is some sort of soft plug or freeze type plug. Maybe measure the hole size then try to find a proper sized plug. (I don't show that plug as replaceable so no BMW part shown in my parts book, at least that I can find)

You might be able to thread then install a plug but that is something the person working on the motorcycle has to evaluate as it would only be guessing from afar.   

I have an engine case picture of a late 1150 engine & it sure looks like a cup plug (but that is just a guess from a picture).

If you do go with a cup plug or domed disc type freeze plug then make sure that everything extremely clean & oil free then use LockTite 609 retaining compound to seal the edges when driving it in. 

HJgupE5.jpg

You spoke the magic words...”freeze plug”!!  You’re a genius!

McMaster-Carr will ship me a couple of sizes today!
I’ll be riding by Saturday...

Thanks for your knowledge and time helping me thru this one...greatly appreciated.

”Keep the rubber side down...”

1 minute ago, SteveZ said:

You spoke the magic words...”freeze plug”!!  You’re a genius!

McMaster-Carr will ship me a couple of sizes today!
I’ll be riding by Saturday...

Thanks for your knowledge and time helping me thru this one...greatly appreciated.

”Keep the rubber side down...”

Morning SteveZ

Any chance that you can go back to where you fell down, maybe the plug is laying there somewhere.  

14 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

DR....how delicate will the aluminum be when driving in a plug?

Morning Skywagon

Having never driven one of those plugs into the bottom of an 1150 engine  case I can't say for sure but the crankcase bottom is more durable than most think as I have bent & bashed the skid plates pretty hard into the bottom of the engine case on my old 1150GS without damage. (lots of dings & gouges in the alloy case)

Obviously wouldn't' want to beat an incorrect size plug in with a 5 lb hammer but most cup plugs go in without too much trouble.