IGNORED

Fresh out of winter storage, brakes are spongy and soft

Jimmy2Time

I pulled the bike (99 R1100RT-P) out of winter storage yesterday.  Started up up like a champ.  I did the usual checklist to make sure all the lights and switches worked.  Did not notice that the brakes felt funny or odd at all.  Everything seemed normal.

However, restarting the bike, I noticed that the ABS warning lights were alternating when I pulled out of the driveway.  Stopped to fill the tank with gas and when I started out, I heard the ABS noise it normally makes when you start out ("cr-clunk") and the ABS lights went out.  All seemed normal, until I started driving downhill and when I went slow down, the front brakes seemed pretty soft.  I had to pump the front brakes to get them to feel right.

I thought this was pretty weird.  I also tried the rear brake and it too seemed pretty soft, like it had a long way to travel.  First thought I had, was a brake fluid issue.

It definitely was not like this the last time I rode my bike in December.

Doing a little research on this site, seems like I need to either flush the brake fluid (and master cylinder?) and/or replace my brake lines?

Thoughts?  Anything I can take a look at that might help me with diagnosing this problem?

Appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy2Time said:

I pulled the bike (99 R1100RT-P) out of winter storage yesterday.  Started up up like a champ.  I did the usual checklist to make sure all the lights and switches worked.  Did not notice that the brakes felt funny or odd at all.  Everything seemed normal.

However, restarting the bike, I noticed that the ABS warning lights were alternating when I pulled out of the driveway.  Stopped to fill the tank with gas and when I started out, I heard the ABS noise it normally makes when you start out ("cr-clunk") and the ABS lights went out.  All seemed normal, until I started driving downhill and when I went slow down, the front brakes seemed pretty soft.  I had to pump the front brakes to get them to feel right.

I thought this was pretty weird.  I also tried the rear brake and it too seemed pretty soft, like it had a long way to travel.  First thought I had, was a brake fluid issue.

It definitely was not like this the last time I rode my bike in December.

Doing a little research on this site, seems like I need to either flush the brake fluid (and master cylinder?) and/or replace my brake lines?

Thoughts?  Anything I can take a look at that might help me with diagnosing this problem?

Appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

Evening James

Could be a little of both, old brake hoses do get soft & compliant so you can get a bit of mussiness with those.

Also, as an older motorcycle sits in storage the brake system can take in a little air past the caliper & master cylinder seals so you might have some softness from air in your brake system. 

If your brake hoses are old probably should replace those but at the very least do a good complete brake bleed service then see where you are at brake feel wise.  

46 minutes ago, Jimmy2Time said:

Flush/change the brake fluid is a good place to start.  You can "old school" it on the right/front and rear calipers with a few feet of plastic tubing (fitting to catch bottle):  loosen  the bleed fitting while  pressing the lever or pedal, just be sure to tighten the fitting before releasing  lever or pedal.  I'd need a friend's help with the left caliper:; my 32 inch sleeves can't reach lever and fitting .  Getting  brake fluid out of the respective reservoirs before pumping helps but whatever you do, don't go past "minimum" in the reservoir as that only adds air to the system.

Wooster,  Mity Vac man since 1998.

I was thinking about getting some speed bleeders and installing them on the front and rear brakes.  Are there decent instructions on how to perform this task on this site?

From what I understand from speedbleeder.com, for the 99 R1100rt with abs, I need (2) SB1010S (for the front) and (1) SB6100 for the rear.

Any advice appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy2Time said:

I was thinking about getting some speed bleeders and installing them on the front and rear brakes.  Are there decent instructions on how to perform this task on this site?

From what I understand from speedbleeder.com, for the 99 R1100rt with abs, I need (2) SB1010S (for the front) and (1) SB6100 for the rear.

Any advice appreciated.

No special instructions required.  Have a wet rag or paper towel handy. Completely unscrew the standard bleeder and screw in the speed bleeder. There will be a small amount, a drop or three, of brake fluid that oozes our from the calipers. Keep the covers closed on the master cylinders which will keep a slight vacuum in the line which will keep the fluid from flowing out.

My front brake had no pressure on a ride last fall and I had to get back home using the rear brake only. I've just changed all my brake lines to Galfer SS lines and done a complete cleanup/rebuild of all 3 calipers using the existing seals which were remarkably good. It's an old bike and 20+ year hoses do not necessarily hold up well and could fail internally like mine did. I didn't bother with speed bleeders either.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Jimmy2Time said:

Any advice appreciated.

I started brake fluid chores in '86 yet only recently used speed bleeders; prior to that, I relied on an inexpensive plastic vacume  pump, a MityVac.  My recent speed bleeder trial was OK yet a bit confusing in that the new speed bleeders sealant is such that I had a hard time knowing when tite was tite, that is, I got that sinking feeling of stripping threads as I titend the speed bleeder,  had to ignore that feeling and keep turning until the new fitting was truly seated and would turn no more. I admit it was easy work pushing seven or so ounces of DOT 4 thru the front brake master cylinder so I guess I'm a speed bleeder believer.  

Wooster, an old dog trying a new trick

• 4 weeks later...

So, to update what occurred...

I ended up taking my motorcycle to my mechanic and It turns out that the brake line needed to be replaced.  Evidently, 20 plus years and the brake line had enough.

Got the Spiegler Line Kit (steel braided) installed.  

Bike runs great and solid brakes.