IGNORED

I bought the Power Commander

ldracer

It looks well made and the software is about as simple as it gets. I will install it this weekend and report back.

An intersting bit of info is the stock map adds a bit of fuel between 3000 and 3500 and cuts it a bit near full throttle and up in the power band.

97 RT.

I think the cost benefit ratio will depend a lot on how much the stock map bugs you, or for some how much performance is gained. I will be perfectly happy with 0 additional HP and a perfectly smooth throttle. It costs more than the other options , but it should allow me to tune it the way I want it without dumping the cat.

My question on that product would be what happens when you are in the middle of no-where and it dies, who knows how to fix it or get your bike back on the road??

JerryMather
My question on that product would be what happens when you are in the middle of no-where and it dies, who knows how to fix it or get your bike back on the road??

Pat-

This is a plug and play piggyback item. If it failed, all you'd have to do it unplug it and reconnect the Motronic back to the harness and the orginal map in the Motronic will be used.

We use this on most all the Turbo bikes we build. It's a no brainer to hook them up or disconnect them.

Mapping them really should be done with the bike on a Dyno to make it perfert.

phoenixtexas

Hello from Texas. I have a Techlusion with modified exhaust on my R1100R, and was curious about the difference in the chips. I thought the Power Commander required cracking the electronics box under the tank. How would the two work together? Expensive overkill, or does the Power Commander perform a different function? Has anyone tried?

Looking at the info on their web site it looks like the Power Commander has a very flexible and easy-to-use UI that lets you precisely set relative mixture settings at various specific throttle openings, sounds like fun. But... per the installation guide I see that the unit connects in series with the injector wires but I don't see any connection to the TPS. How does the Power Commander know what the current throttle position is?

That's exactly how the Techlusion works, in series with the injectors, not under the tank.
Yes, but the Techlusion simply adds fuel by altering the injector pulse over certain ranges based on RPM. It doesn't claim to have the ability to map out mixtures based on specific throttle settings, as does the Power Commander. So, I'm wondering how the Power Commander does that without a connection to the TPS?
97 RT.

I think the cost benefit ratio will depend a lot on how much the stock map bugs you, or for some how much performance is gained. I will be perfectly happy with 0 additional HP and a perfectly smooth throttle. It costs more than the other options , but it should allow me to tune it the way I want it without dumping the cat.

You have my sincere thanks for retaining the CAT on your bike.

JerryMather
[ So, I'm wondering how the Power Commander does that without a connection to the TPS?

I believe that it uses the TPS reading from the Motronic along with the O2 reading. Although, the new generation P.C. uses a wideband type of O2 sensor that needs to be installed with that unit.

P.S. Santa Cruz BMW has been using the P.C. on their race bikes for a few years now. Give them a call if any of you need to talk with someone about their operation.

I believe that it uses the TPS reading from the Motronic along with the O2 reading. Although, the new generation P.C. uses a wideband type of O2 sensor that needs to be installed with that unit.
The Power Commander doesn't connect to the Motronic, but after a more careful read of the install instructions it does in fact connect to the TPS, so... my mistake. blush.gif It also uses a new O2 sensor, as you note. Anyway, I'll be very interested to hear about Larry's impressions once he gets it installed.
phoenixtexas

To Jerry: Hello. Pardon my confusion. Am I correct in interpreting the thread that the Power Commander only controls fuel delivery? As a former Brit bike wrench, I set up BSAs and Triumphs with Boyer ignition systems, and fuel delivery was another function. With the Motronic, isn't everything integrated? With the Power Commander mounted outboard of the brain, I can't see how it affects anything other than fuel delivery; for example, maximum engine RPM can't be modified. Unless I'm missing something.

JerryMather
To Jerry: Hello. Pardon my confusion. Am I correct in interpreting the thread that the Power Commander only controls fuel delivery? As a former Brit bike wrench, I set up BSAs and Triumphs with Boyer ignition systems, and fuel delivery was another function. With the Motronic, isn't everything integrated? With the Power Commander mounted outboard of the brain, I can't see how it affects anything other than fuel delivery; for example, maximum engine RPM can't be modified. Unless I'm missing something.

The ones that we've been using are not the latest ones being offered for the BMW's

We can adjust the ignition curve, air/fuel mixture and the throttle position with them. But some bikes can not be done like this and maybe BMW is one of them.

Take a look at this .

The Teclusion did not offer the fine adjustment via a PC that the Power Commander offered, and indeed it only can add fuel while the Power Commander can subtract.

Ther is no ignition control component to this system(yet). They do have some models that do both for some bikes.

LD

I note that instructions say that the replacement wideband sensor 'may not fit some exhaust systems.' Was it a direct screw-in replacement on your RT?

Yep. It fits just like the stock one.

That is far as I have gotten though. I have other stuff to do first. I am doing:brakes,tires,shocks,head gasket,throttle cable,battery, and seats. If work does not get in the way of my hobby, I will test it out next Saturday.

Archived