IGNORED

2019 R 1250 RT 12 K service

wbw6cos

The bike is nearing the sevice interval for12,000 miles and one of the items on the schedule to check is the valve clearance.  Does it matter if the motor is cold or not?  I was always under the impression to have the engine cold to adjust vavles, but I doubt any adjustments will need to be done as they are just checking clearance.  This issue will determine if I ride it in to the shop or bring it on my trailer on the day of the service appointment.   I suppose I could always try to drop it off the day before.  Thanks for any input.

On the older hexheads the answer would be cold. Assume the same for new bikes but DR would be the guy I’d like to hear from. ;)

You can ride it in. They will put a fan on it and get started on other stuff while it cools down.  I wouldn't worry about it.

You can also ride it down to Columbus and I can coach you through it.  I've got a lift and "this ultimate set of tools!"

Columbus??   I think I know where that is, or close to it anyway.   :whistle:

Thanks for the input guys.  Exactly what I was thinking.   I got some riding to do.  Even with my 9.5 mile commute, I will want it serviced before START.   39 days and a wake up.

• Like 1

It will be very close to cold by the time that they get to check the valve clearance!  When I do the 12k service, I would take the bike out and ride until it's hot, come back in and immediately drain the oil.  Then take the valve covers off and get rid of the oil in there.  Then drain and refill the FD oil'  Next, is to walk away for an hour or more to allow the engine oil to drain completely, before coming back to button everything up, with the valve covers being last, and that's when I do the valve clearance check.

On my old RT, I'd ride on Friday and when I get home, dump the oil.  leave it drain over night and do the valves the next morning. At that point it's dead cold.