IGNORED

ABS lights

Super Sabre

Super Sabre

Hey guy's' I have a 2000 K1200 LT that runs great but just recently the abs indicator on dash is flashing back and forth left to right. Brakes seen to work great. The brake lines have been changed to stainless braided by my brother and fluid changed about 5 k ago. The abs system dash light  has been going off after a few minutes of running. As I said it just started this. Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, Super Sabre said:

Hey guy's' I have a 2000 K1200 LT that runs great but just recently the abs indicator on dash is flashing back and forth left to right. Brakes seen to work great. The brake lines have been changed to stainless braided by my brother and fluid changed about 5 k ago. The abs system dash light  has been going off after a few minutes of running. As I said it just started this. Any ideas?

Morning  Super Sabre

Can you tell us EXACTLY WHEN in the riding cycle that the lights start flashing (like at key-on, or after engine starting, or after ride-away, etc?) -- this can maybe help us pin it down.

What happens if after the lights start flashings you stop the motorcycle, turn the key to off, then restart the engine & ride off?   Do the flashing lights come back on or stay off?

Super Sabre

Thank you for your help, it starts right away as soon as started. I have tried while riding to stop and start engine but this didn't help. I just went out and turned key on and immediately it started flashing. Starting engine doesn't matter. Tried a restart and applied both brakes and just held them for awhile. That also didn't help.

6 hours ago, Super Sabre said:

Thank you for your help, it starts right away as soon as started. I have tried while riding to stop and start engine but this didn't help. I just went out and turned key on and immediately it started flashing. Starting engine doesn't matter. Tried a restart and applied both brakes and just held them for awhile. That also didn't help.

Evening Super Sabre

Can you give us the exact light flashing sequence at____

First key on_____

After engine start_____

After riding for about 1/2 mile______

Super Sabre

I hope weather clears up tomorrow and I get to move it. I will say it looks like front reservoir is below middle marker. Can that be a problem? I see no signs of leakage. Thanks for everything and I'll surely be able to tell you more tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, Super Sabre said:

I hope weather clears up tomorrow and I get to move it. I will say it looks like front reservoir is below middle marker. Can that be a problem? I see no signs of leakage. Thanks for everything and I'll surely be able to tell you more tomorrow.

Evening Super Sabre

No, the reservoir level being a little low should have no effect on the warning lights.

• 2 weeks later...

My ABS light was on also, as it turned out, the motor inside the ABS was the issue.  The contact brushes were FUBAR, and had to be cleaned and/or replaced. Unfortunately this is a completely sealed unit and BMW will not fit the ABS, you have to buy new. I found someone that would take the unit apart and repair/replace the brushes. Check out this youtube as this was exactly was....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m2H-nC0CqE

Super Sabre

Wow Kenny, did your abs dash lites alternate while flashing? You know left to right back and forth. You could definitely be onto the problem. Thanks so much..

Super Sabre

Wow Kenny, did your abs dash lites alternate while flashing? You know left to right back and forth. You could definitely be onto the problem. Thanks so much..

Super Sabre

Hey I did see a video while watching yours that said when a battery is changed sometimes the ads needs to be reset. The video shows how to do this so hopefully I can try this tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Super Sabre said:

Morning Super Sabre

Just keep in mind that the video linked to is for the later I-ABS gen2 ABS system, that system is a completely different type of ABS than is on your 2000 K bike. Your braking system doesn't use the same type motor brush set-up. 

Just throwing this out here as I’m not sure if the K bikes act the same way than R bikes, but... At least on my 99 R1100RT, the alternating ABS lights flashing meant that the battery charge is low. 

Super Sabre

Thank you for your suggestion. I did try that and have a new battery that has 12.5 volts at rest and charges at 13.7 volts running. I did find out that others have had this happen when changing out the battery which is exactly when my problems happened. I found out that there's a reset wire which is a devil to get to but will effectively reset the abs memory. I will try this soon and I'll take pics and be sure to post if it works. I'm going to change quick connects on fuel lines so I will have Tupperware off so hopefully will make it easier to get to the reset wire. Just as some FYI on my bike it's pin #20 on the abs connector and is for the sole purpose of resetting memory. Apparently BMW doesn't want us finding it. 

23 minutes ago, Super Sabre said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I did try that and have a new battery that has 12.5 volts at rest and charges at 13.7 volts running. I did find out that others have had this happen when changing out the battery which is exactly when my problems happened. I found out that there's a reset wire which is a devil to get to but will effectively reset the abs memory. I will try this soon and I'll take pics and be sure to post if it works. I'm going to change quick connects on fuel lines so I will have Tupperware off so hopefully will make it easier to get to the reset wire. Just as some FYI on my bike it's pin #20 on the abs connector and is for the sole purpose of resetting memory. Apparently BMW doesn't want us finding it. 

Evening Super Sabre

That #20 wire runs to the # 2 pin in the diagnostic connecter so should be relatively easy to access. That is the Brown/Blue wire (pin#2) in the diagnostic connector. 

Super Sabre

Yes that's it !  If I ever find that sucker I'm going to extend it to a sensible area under the seat in case I ever need to access it again. On my particular model its way under the battery tray from what I've been told. Should have a blue cap on it but I've had no luck finding it so far.

Super Sabre

Ok got her all apart, It needed new fuel tank seal. I'm changing seal, fuel filter , tank hoses and servicing air filter. I am going also to try the ABS reset and will let everyone know how it goes. Also installed Stainless Steel quick Connects.IMG_20200321_104448785.thumb.jpg.a46f56e5cd4f0d3693f8bc6d3b2a2f39.jpg1526392993_IMG_20200321_104515059(1).thumb.jpg.dc72770ac5905e6c69ca90d5f7bd1613.jpgIMG_20200321_104503394.thumb.jpg.2599a1519340b1ecf41eaa65a6aa865f.jpg

IMG_20200321_104515059 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, Super Sabre said:

Not exactly sure on front reservoir but the rear one does have a sensor in it and if fluid is low it will give you the flashing light

Super Sabre

Thanks man I will definitely look into that. Did check that front and just now looked at rear by dropping right side compartment door. Really can't tell by shinning a light. It's either full or empty. Can't see any fluid line. Where do you fill it at?

excuse the wobbly lines I drew....

My LT is a '03 where red line is pointing is where mine is located....should be able to see reservoir but to put fluid in best to remove panel

IMG_20200321_104503394.thumb.jpg.2599a1519340b1ecf41eaa65a6aa865f.jpg

I mean while you got it tore down, go ahead and do a brake flush....especially if it's been sitting for a while, as I'm sure you know brake fluid attracts moisture

Super Sabre

Brakes were flushed by my brother and he changed out the vulnerable lines. He used synthetic brake fluid. I think your right about removing the panel.

4 minutes ago, Super Sabre said:

Brakes were flushed by my brother and he changed out the vulnerable lines. He used synthetic brake fluid. I think your right about removing the panel.

Evening  Super Sabre

Just keep in mind that  Sandlapper has a later 2003 LT & that has a different ABS system.

If I remember correctly  (it's been a while)  your 2000 LT doesn't have reservoir fluid  level sensors. 

Super Sabre
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  Super Sabre

Just keep in mind that  Sandlapper has a later 2003 LT & that has a different ABS system.

If I remember correctly  (it's been a while)  your 2000 LT doesn't have reservoir fluid  level sensors. 

Super Sabre

Ok thanks, I really think it has something to do with me changing out the battery. Had no ABS faults until i replaced Battery. I will however check that rear reservoir just to be sure it's not low.