IGNORED

Timing of engine rebuild?

DaveWL

Hi folks. New to the list and am considering purchasing a 2001 RT with fairly high mileage ... about 60K. I realize that it is a fairly broad question, but what is the approximate mileage when a top-end rebuild would be required? Thanks.

Dave

Hi folks. New to the list and am considering purchasing a 2001 RT with fairly high mileage ... about 60K. I realize that it is a fairly broad question, but what is the approximate mileage when a top-end rebuild would be required? Thanks.

Dave

In about another 100K miles or so. These engines are not like many other brand motorcycle engines. The parts that will probably need overhauling first are, rear drive, clutch, Hall Effect Sensor wiring and shocks. Most of these will not need looking at other than routine servicing for 40K or more miles.

At 60K if the OE shocks are still fitted it is worth swapping them out.

Welcome to the board and the brand wave.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

Dave

If you search other threads on this site, you'll see that the question has been asked previously in many different forms. The concensus seems to be that with appropriate maintenance, the engine on these things last forever - maybe 200K miles. But, just like other vehicles, other "stuff" goes bad eventually, and some of those items can be pricy. Even if the powertrain (engine + trany + final drive) holds together, electrical parts are more likely to fail on a six year old bike than a 2 year old bike. Plus, in my opinion, all rubber parts over 4-5 years old are suspect anyway. An older bike will probably require more maintenance than say, a 2004 with 15K miles.

60K miles isn't bad at all, as long as you don't overpay for the bike. Mine has around 55K on it, and it's a retired police bike, so it's seen harder miles than most civilian RT's.

Good luck!

Hi Dave,

As the others have noted engine life is not much of an issue with these bikes as engine internals (including top end) are generally very long-lived. The limits aren't well known because so few have worn out. wink.gif At 60k you are probably not even a third of the way to the service life of the engine.

That said, the long life of the engines do tend to expose other weaknesses as the bike ages and it is quite possible that you will need something between now and 100k miles. Full-boat dealer repair costs can be rather pricey but if you can do the work yourself most of the potential repairs can be done relatively economically.

Short answer... if the bike has been properly maintained and is currently in good condition then 60k is not particularly high mileage figure for a BMW bike... it's barely entering mid-life at that point.

DavidEBSmith

Do we know anybody who's actually had a top end job on an Oilhead because of high miles? I can't think of anybody. I've got 144K on mine, and while I've replaced the clutch, driveshaft, swingarm, final drive bearing, and Hall sensor (the latter two out of precaution, not failure), the last time I had it in a shop the mechanic said the motor pulls as strong as ever, and it doesn't particularly use oil or smoke.

Dave

First of all, It should be noted that Dave is from Canada (eh??). That means his comment about 60K is probably 60K KILOMETERS, not miles.

At 60K km, the bike is barely broken in! As others have said, BMWs are not like other bikes. Engine wear is more like you would expect on a car, not on your typical Japanese bike.

My '86 K100RT has close to 200,000km on it, and it runs just fine. Doesn't even burn any oil between oil changes. Just like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going....

Bob.

Stan Walker

Do we know anybody who's actually had a top end job on an Oilhead because of high miles?

The lady in Red, at 295,000 if I recall correctly. Still on the original rings though. smile.gif

Stan

DavidEBSmith

From Paul Glaves on the IBMWR list today:

My experience is you can expect to do a top-end overhaul at approximately 300,000 miles. We had the valves done on Voni's R1100RS at 295,000 miles. They would have gone longer but I had the heads and cam carriers off to deal with a worn cam follower. Original rings are still in the engine at 315,000 but I suspect it's due even though the compression is still OK.

I also expect that the bottom end is fine and needs nothing at 300,000 miles.

This life expectancy assumes you change your oil and filter at the manufacturer's recommended 6,000 mile interval, keep the fuel filter changed so the engine doesn't go lean due to fuel starvation, and don't cook the engine letting it overheat in traffic jams.

Voni's other R1100RS had 172,000 miles on it when she sold it, and it had no signs of engine problems whatsoever. So there's a sample of two with what most folks would consider "high mileage."

Thanks to you all for your well considered comments. Being that I’m new to the BMW brand, you have alleviated virtually all concerns I had about a used bike. In fact I’m now thinking of broadening the search slightly to not just an 1150, but perhaps to an 1100 model also. Thanks again.

Dave

I have seen boxer engines put into industrial service (pumps, generators, etc.) after the bike was scrapped. A moderately well cared for boxer engine will last 20 years without need for rebuild if cared for properly. The newer boxers (oilheads) are likely even better than older airheads...but, there is no oilhead longeviy to substantiate that as yet.

Buy smartly and enjoy the brand........you're joining a fraternity almost as strong as Harley-Davidson.

Oooooooops....just saw the 295,000 miles on a boxer......I would consider that slightly above average life for that engine...but look at what was needed...mostly minor stuff...I would have added a can of fuel system cleaner and changed the oil and ridden another 100,000 miles...the boxers are good for the life of the original owner and the next owner, as well.

In fact I’m now thinking of broadening the search slightly to not just an 1150, but perhaps to an 1100 model also.
Good thought. The 1100's trade a virtually trouble-free cable-actuated clutch for the decidedly not so trouble-free hydraulic clutch on the 1150 and have an independent ABS braking system instead of the PITA early generation linked EVO brakes. The only thing you give up is a sixth speed in the transmission which is of little use on the pre-hexhead bikes.

Now let the battle begin... grin.gif

No_Twilight
Oooooooops....just saw the 295,000 miles on a boxer......I would consider that slightly above average life for that engine...

What is your basis for that statement? Just a guess, a feeling? Only one person has posted data and that is 295Kmiles. Nobody posted an earlier number for a rebuild. I have a friend with 235Kmiles and going strong. It appears that bikes are NOT being retired for engine problems. So to come up with a lifetime based on a semblance of scientific data seems impossible with the data we have. --Jerry

peterbulgar

Let's define our terms a little bit: Most people consider "top end work" to mean rings, valves, and valve seats. Before Nikasil "top end work" could also include a rebore and new pistons. Not to diss the reports of high mileage oilheads, but could we expand "top end work" to include any work on the top end - any work for which the cylinder heads come off? That would include replacing cam followers, de-carbonizing, rocker bearings, con rod small ends, whatever.

That said, this has been an encouraging thread - nice to know that there are quite a few bikes out there still going strong at 100k+ miles with no engine work. Has anyone kept a tally of the number of high mile oilheads that have been reported on this forum vs. the number of reported drive line failures?

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Archived