IGNORED

Whine with Satellite Radio

hcmiller92

Couldn't find an answer through the search, so here goes. I put a Roady 2 on my RT11 and (as I had expected) get that characteristic whine from the alternator(?). What sort of noise filter do I get to correct this and where do I put it?

Thanks!

Curt

Aluminum_Butt

It would help to know what, if anything, you're using for amplification, and how you have it all wired up. If Autocom/Starcom/Baehr/etc, are you using an isolated audio cable? I assume you are using bike power? If so, what's the source?

Alternator whine is usually the result of a ground loop. Instead of trying to filter the noise, it's much easier and more productive to eliminate the loop. For most setups, the answer generally lies in putting the Roady and amplifier on the same group point, and using an isolated audio cable to connect them.

Also to add to MD2020's post, if you are running an Autocom in the tail of your bike and have a fairly long audio run to your satellite receiver, make sure that in addition to your ground loop eliminator, you run a good quality cable (good shielding) the length of your bike. A cheap cable (Radio Shack's low end cables) dont have enough shielding to keep the computer hash and ignition noise completely out (depending on how the cable was run from front to back). A good test for this is running a cable directly from satellite radio to autocom/amplifier outside the tupperware and see if you still have the whine...

Good Luck

(Lots of assumptions here on my part, but having been there, just a suggestion.)

Also to add to MD2020's post, if you are running an Autocom in the tail of your bike and have a fairly long audio run to your satellite receiver, make sure that in addition to your ground loop eliminator, you run a good quality cable (good shielding) the length of your bike. A cheap cable (Radio Shack's low end cables) dont have enough shielding to keep the computer hash and ignition noise completely out (depending on how the cable was run from front to back). A good test for this is running a cable directly from satellite radio to autocom/amplifier outside the tupperware and see if you still have the whine...

Good Luck

(Lots of assumptions here on my part, but having been there, just a suggestion.)

I pick up computer noise through my V-1. Where do I get a good shielded cable?

I have XM's on our RT's - no whine on mine, but we do get some on my wife's. You can by a power filter anywhere for cheap, if it's really bad, the Mixit guy sells an active one.

What everyone else said, as far as what you have and long cable runs to the tail, but also make sure that everything you have is running on the same "clean" power. I have the blue sea fuse block with everything powered and grounded from it and all in my tank bag. Zero interference on my bike using a Starcom1, Roady2, Kenwood GMRS, Bluetooth cell interface, GPS and V1.

Wife's is the same, but without the V1 and bluetooth, but she had some alternator noise (whine), so she got the power filter just before the fuse block and it solved the problem.

Archived