IGNORED

CANbus charger directly to battery?

johnlt

I've installed my second accessory socket directly to the battery (not going through bike electrical system). What happens if I plug in my special BMW CANbus charger into the direct-to-battery socket? Will it work?

Yes, it should work fine.

BMW sells an accessory item for their Canbus AGM battery charger that allows you to hook up the charger directly to the battery with alligator clips. Essentially you are doing the same thing that the BMW "accessory" does - connecting directly to the battery.

Link here: Battery charger alligator clips

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie Question: After a few months of inactivity I thought I had my battery tender plugged into my bike but alas I must of disconnected it somehow.

So my bike won't start now, I tried recharging it with my battery tender but I still can't get my bike to start. I read somewhere that I needed to use a larger charge to recharge my battery - The tender is only for maintaining and not meant for bringing a battery from being empty. I have a standard battery charger - where I have several selections I believe 2/4/6 amps - If i connect this charger thru the accessory socket at 6 amps will this fry my electronics? or could this potentially work? I believe the battery tender is 1.25 amps.

Hook the charger up directly to the battery at the 12 amp setting and let it run all night. Should work if the battery has not been destroyed.

James Clark
Hook the charger up directly to the battery at the 12 amp setting and let it run all night. Should work if the battery has not been destroyed.

And then rinse the acid off of the bike with fresh water after the battery explodes.

(I guess you meant 2 amp?)

Thanks for the responses - But I made an error on my initial post. The selection on my "Emergency Battery Jumper" is for 3, 6, 9 & 12 Volts. It doesn't mention how many AMPs in the instructions.

This power source comes with multiple adapters but I think the main purpose is to be able to charge or jump a car battery thru the cigerette lighter.

I need to correct something I typed encorrectly. You should hook it up directly to the battery on a 2 amp setting, not 12 amp setting.

Archived