IGNORED

K1600 owners from R1200R?

SlowRideOhio

I have an 07 R1200RT, which I love, but my wife is encouraging me to buy something more comfortable for the pillion (her).

Just curious, are there any former owners of RTs who bought K1600 GT/GTLs out here?

How do the bikes compare for pillion comfort?  Is it worth me buying a K1600?  I'm sure I can handle the added weight, so that isn't an issue.

We could test ride a new K1600 at a dealer  I'm really thinking used, though.  Test rides aren't always possible on used bikes.

I am not sure I want to go the Gold Wing route...

I suppose I should post on the K1600 forum as well.  Not a member there yet.

Thanks,

Dean

No difference for the passenger I'm afraid. If you've got the inseam, a Russell Day long is the easiest fix for an uncomfortable back-seater along with a top case of course. 

The new GoldWing isn't an OldWing anymore if you have to go that route. And just for fun, toss her on a new Ultra Limited, you might be surprised.

edit I see you said GTL, maybe. :dontknow:

Welcome Dean,

Not many K1600 riders here.  That said, I made the switch in 2016.  After 4 RTs (airhead, oilhead, hexhead, camhead) I bought a used K1600GT.  I don't think there is a better two up sport touring bike.

The inline six is magical, pulls like a freight train no matter how heavy you load the bike or what gear you have selected.  Ive got a Remus exhaust that sounds great but really not worth the money new (I pieced my together used for about half the cost).  I suspect the waterboxers are better but on the older RTs the performance really suffered loaded up.  Dosent help that I tip the scales around 275.  Not quite as nimble as a RT but handles surprisingly well, even better with Wilber shocks set up properly.  

My bike has 44,000 miles bought it with 2000 miles.  No issues outside of a leaky water pump.  Oh yeah, it shreds tires!  Between the weight, torque, and a heavy right wrist, I only get about 5000 miles on a rear tire.  If you go used stay away from the 2011 and 2012 models especially with low miles.  Many issues with ring land failures, squeaking front suspension, pull to the left syndrome and from my point of view they are just not worth the risk.  18000 mile service is expensive, generally about a grand.  I did the last one myself not too bad but defiantly major surgery.  I've got a few valve that need shims (uncommon) and am going to let the dealer handle that better they drop a tiny nut in the crankcase that me!  Shock replacement on the front is not for the faint hearted , I needed a cherry picker to hold up the bike and it required a disassembly of the entire front of the motorcycle.  Good winter project.       

Your Frau will most likely be happiest with the GTL, its set up a little better for the pillion.  Russell seats are mandatory from my point of view.  Most pillions complain about buffeting with the stock screen on both the GT and GTL.  After market options fix the issue.  My wife is five foot nothing and didnt really have an issue but I do have an Aeroflow windscreen that I really like.   

I would defiantly go with a used bike.  Resale on the 1600 sucks, my bike was 2 years old with 2000 miles and I paid 15000.  Its even worse now.  Loads of super clean 2015s and 2016s for sale. In either 15 or 16 they put a reverse on the bikes this would be great as backing a fully loaded 1600 is a chore.  I believe in 2017 BMW changed the fuel maps to comply with Euro emissions standards and supposedly the bike feels really flat if that makes since.  They still have 160 HP but not the immediate throttle response like the older machines.  There is a company, Bren tunning, that can rebuild the fuel maps for around $700.

Good luck with the K1600 board.  Lots of so called experts who dont really know what they are talking about.  Fair share of jerks as well.  That said, there is some good information you just have to weed through it with a critical eye.

Good luck in the search,

Mike                        

• Like 1

Mike, that motor sure is a torque monster but yep, I picked the one with the squeaky front shock. Too bad because I loved the bike otherwise.

• Like 1

Winter is a very good time to think about your next motorcycle. :thumbsup: And BTW, you should take your wife out to a nice dinner. ;) Whenever a wife encourages you to buy a new motorcycle, wait a minute...that didn't really happen! :rofl:

Calvin  (no socks)

I run touring tires and they get me 14-15k miles. I always ride in rain mode to minimize tread wear and take it easy on the throttle because I have 2500 miles back to the house. Have had no complaints from passengers for comfort. (No 2 up trip longer than 200 miles though)  Some think I need snow tires. 

cool.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
John Bentall

Could you tell us precisely what your pillion finds uncomfortable about the 07 RT? 

Otherwise we are making assumption about what our SO's find/found uncomfortable. For example, my SO finds the mount/dismount the most uncomfortable part (she has an Airhawk to sit upon)

SlowRideOhio

Another question:  Looking at 13-15 GTs and GTLs.... Which Nav (IV, V, VI, etc) fits the whole for the GPS?  Lots of bikes come without one, and I'm trying to determine which one would be needed.  

Calvin, thanks for the tires tip.... I had been reading a lot about the K1600 eats up tires, and that was making me very uneasy about possibly buying the big K!

John, I'll ask her exactly what she doesn't like on the RT.

Thanks,

Dean

Depends.  There are different dash inserts for each.  My 2013 came stock with a NAV IV dash insert which I replaced with a Nav V insert.   I now have a NAV VI that works fine in the NAV V insert.  It's just a tiny bit too small but not enough to fool with from my perspective. BMW does make an insert for the NAV VI.

Calvin's tire wear is amazing but Dynamic is too much fun.  I'm good with the tire wear!

Interesting topic since I’m in similar situation right now. Except for the pillion. Haha! She’s not interested in riding at all. 

Anyway... Sold my 99 R1100RT yesterday and now I’m just waiting to buy  a 2012 K1600GTL Premium from a friend of mine once he finds a new one. I absolutely loved my RT and it was even such a beautiful looking bike, too. Plus I’m old-school kinda guy, so stepping to the GTL will be a major step in quite many ways. 

So, in case anybody has any additional comments and/or info regarding the GTL, feel free to either direct me to threads and/or sites for more info. The friend I’m buying it from has owned it since 2K miles, so I’ve been around it for a long time, know the history, know the maintenance records etc., but never just paid attention to it thinking I’d own that bike some day. LOL!

Sorry for the hijack, OP. ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to this thread.  I have a 2012 GTL Premium and love it.  I came from an '04 RT, (sexiest bike ever!) and an '07 RT.  For me, there is no better bike.  I got my with 12,095 miles and have been diligent about service and have had none of the early model issues so far; water pump and left side handlebar assembly.  I've ridden it across the country twice and down the entirety of The Great River Road.  The only reason I'd consider a newer version would be the keyless ignition.  

I would advise the OP to look for a '14 to '17 model year and stay away from the newer ones with reverse.  There is a NHTSB recall and you can't even take delivery if the dealership hasn't fixed the models they have in stock.  I ride in Dynamic mode and have been averaging anywhere from 6500 to 8500 miles on the tires.  I stay with the Pilot Road GT series.  If you use a shop for service, I would also advise the OP to have the radiator cleaned every 18,000 miles when the valves are checked.  That alleviates a lot of the overheating issues that some riders have experienced when riding in hot and/or humid weather, mostly in traffic jams.  

I'm almost 65 and this is probably my last bike.  You couldn't give my another bike unless I could sell it and get another GTL.