IGNORED

96 R11RT, no rear brake pressure

evilkevin

Bought bike in December(42,213mi), took to dealership and had them look over and fluid change. Bought ss brake lines and had installed by dealership in January(42,284mi). 

A month and 700 miles later brake pedal loses pressure. When pumping pedal, there is a point of mild pressure halfway through travel and you feel a tiny bit of braking. Going to try to bleed brakes from abs unit, pushed boot up in bottom of mc and no fluid. 

Hoping it is air in line, but it has been mentioned that it is mc.

Any other thoughts?  I had jumped on another thread and it was suggested to start a new one. 

19 minutes ago, evilkevin said:

Bought bike in December(42,213mi), took to dealership and had them look over and fluid change. Bought ss brake lines and had installed by dealership in January(42,284mi). 

A month and 700 miles later brake pedal loses pressure. When pumping pedal, there is a point of mild pressure halfway through travel and you feel a tiny bit of braking. Going to try to bleed brakes from abs unit, pushed boot up in bottom of mc and no fluid. 

Hoping it is air in line, but it has been mentioned that it is mc.

Any other thoughts?  I had jumped on another thread and it was suggested to start a new one. 

Morning evilkevin

Can you furtherer explain this sentence for us? Please be more specific ___ pushed boot up in bottom of mc and no fluid. 

1 hour ago, evilkevin said:

When looking at master cylinder, I pushed up the bottom accordion part to see if I noticed any oil and did not. 

IMG_0005.thumb.PNG.7136f5ef19b2675705b78150323993bb.PNG

Afternoon  evilkevin

If you had good brakes after the SS line install AND (IF) your rear master cylinder reservoir is full of fluid then where did the air-in-the-system come from??????

You do need to start somewhere but even if you find air in the ABS module what's to say it won't come right back again as you didn't have air after the line install but think that you do now.  

No way to tell for sure without actually working on the motorcycle but it does sort of point to a failing rear master cylinder.

I am hoping it is an air bubble but you correct that it is probably the master cylinder. It would seem that new lines, full reservoir and installed by someone that knows what they are doing, it is needing replacement after 24 years.   Thank you for your commentary. 

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Bled brakes from abs and still no pressure, waiting on rear master cylinder to arrive. Also waiting for Haynes manual, I have not been able to find any tutorials on replacing reader mc.  I am not a mechanic and like to have things explained like I'm a 4yo.  Hopefully, I will have good things to say next week.  Part should arrive Wednesday and manual sadly not till Monday. 

Stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, received haynes manual and free time. I removed old cylinder and replaced with new, started to bleed through abs and pressure started to return. Got lots of bubbles out of line and the pedal seemed too hard to me.

So I began to fret that I had messed up. Called a friend that is mechanically inclined and asked him if I screwed up, he said put seat on and take for a short ride to check. I did and she stopped and started and no abs fault. Got home and finished putting her clothes back on and went for another ride and she continued stopping and no flashing lights.

I am back in business, yay!  Happy that all is good and I can go for a ride tomorrow.