IGNORED

Anything to make leather seat less slick?

poodad

I recently scored a nice RDL leather seat. I love everything about it EXCEPT one thing: It's too slick. The stock seat was nice and grippy, and kept me feeling attached to the bike. The RDL seat - not so much. With jeans, the slipperiness isn't too bad. But with riding pants, I feel like I'm continuously sliding around and forward.

Is there anything you can put on leather to make it less slick?

Alternately, would there be a way of sewing some sort of grippy material to the butt of my riding pants and keep it moderately waterproof?

Well, on the track we would grab a handful of dirt and rub it on the seat to add some grip.  That's probably not what you want to do with a nice leather seat, though.  The manufacturer might have an answer to your problem, as I'm sure someone makes a leather treatment that will make the leather surface have more friction.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, poodad said:

I recently scored a nice RDL leather seat. I love everything about it EXCEPT one thing: It's too slick. The stock seat was nice and grippy, and kept me feeling attached to the bike. The RDL seat - not so much. With jeans, the slipperiness isn't too bad. But with riding pants, I feel like I'm continuously sliding around and forward.

Is there anything you can put on leather to make it less slick?

Alternately, would there be a way of sewing some sort of grippy material to the butt of my riding pants and keep it moderately waterproof?

I'm riding my 5th RDL seat (leather top), and my OLD Firtsgear mesh pants have a textured layer on the butt, which solves the issue raised.  Love my RDL, and during a California ride last August, I visited the RDL shop just to say "hello"...Good Folks!  jb

• 3 weeks later...

It sorta sounds like it's been treated with armorall, or a similar product.  That would make it really slippery.  A normal leather saddle shouldn't be especially slick.  Some soap and water might help remove some of the lube.  After that, use lexol, or saddle soap on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...