IGNORED

another tire thread? -seriously? Yes

paRTy

Hello all-

Need to change out tires on a 14' rtlc.

Currently running Roadtec 01. Pleased with them, but scalloping pretty badly now after 6500 miles.

Have tried Pirelli Angel Gt a spec - also pleased with them. (my favorite so far, just didn't last that long.) Also hear of some "issues" with the new versions on front tire??

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any new tires, or old, lately to try other than those two. Michelin road5?

I ride mostly solo, do a few long trips now and again, but mostly like a tire that is "fun" in the twisties.

Have read many threads on tires. Hard to finalize a decision.

So, curious what others have had lately that they might recommend to research or try.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I have tried Michelin PR3 and PR4, Metzeler Z8 and Roadtec 01, and Continental RoadAttack 3.

Of these, my ranking (based on a number of criteria such as mileage, cupping/scalloping, noise, traction, etc...) would be: 

1. Continental RoadAttack 3
  2. Metzeler RoadTec 01
  3. Michelin PR4
  4. Metzeler Z8
  5. Michelin PR3

That being said, I might try the Dunlop RoadSmart 3 next time...

All you ever read about are those same 3-5 tires Alger listed. You wanted a different take so here you are:

I have a set of Bridgestone T-31 GTs. Over 7,000 miles on them now and they're at about 1/3rd tread left on the front and 1/2 half on the rear. No scalloping, quiet, and still ride great. I fully expect to get 10k out of the front and a few grand more on the rear. Best part? I caught them on sale plus a $70 rebate so they cost something like $180 for both. 

Here's a detailed review.

• Like 1

13000 miles or kilometers?  PS I hated my Michelin PR4's handled dreadfully and were really noisy from 3500 miles onward were worn out before 6000 miles - I generally don't ride hard (either braking or accelerating).

I think this re-iterates just how useless tyre threads are.

Dunlop Roadsmart III for me. Excellent handling & grip in all weather's.

Change when down to wear indicaters, usually about 5-6000 miles. I've always wondered how riders on your side of the pond get such high mileage! Must be changing when you see the cords  😱🏍

After trying 3 others, I am sticking with the Bridgestone T-31. Front lasts two rears. I am well over 14,000 on this front. Rears have gone well over 7,000 but gotten replaced before long trips. I suspect I could go 8500-9000 miles. I am NOT one of those guys that get 10K+ from a rear tire. These tires have never slipped in any rain event I have encountered from light rain on hot pavement to 300 miles of torrential downpours. Quiet. Don't develop weird wear patterns as badly as most tires. No squirm or slip when in the "no chicken strip" lean angles....

You can get A spec for $230 delivered for front and rear. 

• Like 1

Great info. I do appreciate all the different thoughts and views.

At this point I'm looking at Bridgestone t-31, or the Conti Road Attack 3's GT.

I originally had the conti 2's on my bike as OEM. They were the WORST tire I've ever had. Got ride of them at below 2K miles. Have been afraid to go back to Conti, but after a bit of research, the RA3's get some good reviews.

My next tires will be 90/10 adv tires.

Either the Conti Trail Attack 3s or Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.  Both have excellent street manners, good longevity, and will handle the occasional gravel/fire road when I go rogue and explore. 

I've been through fifteen sets of PR4GT tires ( 04RT,14RT 18RT ), excellent tire all around but pricey. I'm on my second set of Dunlop RoadSmart 3s ,same performance and mileage as the PR4GTs but about $200 cheaper per set. I'll probably stick with the Dunlop RS3s on future tire changes. One thing I did notice is the RS3s are quieter and a smoother ride than the PR4GTs. 

I run the Trails on my GS and love them.  I am going to try a more agressive tire and will  look into the T31 for the next set.

I also hear good things on the Conti 3's so may try those.

First have to wait out the rest of winter to run the Trails out, and it has been rain not snow here in PA this year.  I guess I dont have to shovel snow but rain is a tease because it is warmer this year also.

You could also try the Trail Road 5 as they are supposed to be great tires but they cost like it also.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, Pappy35 said:

Rocky Mountain ATV has them for $228 + tax free shipping. Revzilla will might match that if you have a preference.

Rear GT

Front GT

This is a great price with free shipping and Bridgestone has a $60 rebate now.  Debating on the GT vs non-GT.  Wondering if the GT version wears noticeably longer or if the ride of the GT is noticeably more harsh?

I just opened a CHAT session with Bridgestone and Rocky Mountain is a valid company for the rebate to apply.

As a side note I called MAX BMW to ask about tire prices for my 2016RT. $580 for a pair of Michelin PR5GT installed :4316:

On 2/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Pappy35 said:

Rocky Mountain ATV has them for $228 + tax free shipping. Revzilla will might match that if you have a preference.

Rear GT

Front GT

That didn't sound so good to me... but the price you quote is for the pair.  And if you can wangle an extra $60 rebate, that is a very nice price.

MOTOUSSPR20.pdf

Edited by Cap
add file
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Cap said:

That didn't sound so good to me... but the price you quote is for the pair.  And if you can wangle an extra $60 rebate, that is a very nice price.

MOTOUSSPR20.pdf 255.97 kB · 0 downloads

I've run mine for almost 7,000 miles now and, assuming wear is linear, I could get another 4,400 miles out of the rear and 10k+ on the front. Though I don't believe that the point is that they do have long legs whatever it actually works out to. They run great in wet or dry and are still totally quiet. Seriously, best money (I got the same deal more or less last year when I bought them) I ever spent on tires. EVER!

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Bridgestone's (great price with rebate, etc), but just saw a review on the new Michelin Roadtec 01 SE tires. Look pretty good....for my style of riding anyways. Anybody try them yet if you've found them?  I can't find them for sale yet. If you have a lead, that would be appreciated.

thx

8 minutes ago, paRTy said:

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Bridgestone's (great price with rebate, etc), but just saw a review on the new Michelin Roadtec 01 SE tires. Look pretty good....for my style of riding anyways. Anybody try them yet if you've found them?  I can't find them for sale yet. If you have a lead, that would be appreciated.

thx

Roadtec 01 is a Metzeler tire name. Are you sure you got the name correct?

45 minutes ago, paRTy said:

thx

I can't say specifically about the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE, but the original Metzeler Roadtec 01 performed well, but was very loud in my experience.  It was loud going straight and even louder in the corners.

I also had an odd vibration on deceleration that we could never fix while I had that set of tires on the bike.  It immediately went away when my next set of tires was fitted.

I am extremely happy with my PR4's!   Had them on my '06 RT and loved them.   My '16 had Metzlers which I did not like then I tried Dunlop RoadSmart 3's which were just OK at best.  Now with PR4's on my '16 I am very pleased. 

Hi paRTy, Brian was just flagging your post to clarify the brand. I believe it was a typo, but you wrote Michelin Roadtec 01, not METZELER Roadtec 01.

5 hours ago, AndyS said:

Hi paRTy, Brian was just flagging your post to clarify the brand. I believe it was a typo, but you wrote Michelin Roadtec 01, not METZELER Roadtec 01.

Ahh yes, my mistake. Apologies for any confusion and thanks for pointing that out to me. So many tires, brands, etc, it can make the brain a bit fogged sometimes.

thx.

I had a set of Roadtecs on my K1600GT. FWIW the front was made in China (as are many of Pirelli family of m/c tires) while the rear was made in Germany.  The front tire was horrible.  It howled and began to exhibit a strange cupping on just the left side of the front tire.  I wasn't crazy about the grip either.  Other K1600 riders had the same issues.  I always liked the Z8 with the exception of the looks ok to cords showing in a 50 mile time span. 

This was when the Roadtecs were first released and I suspect they have work out the issues. Just my preference but I'm not buying m/c tires made in China eventhough they may have state of the art facilities. I'm on my third set of T31s on the 1600, with a set on Dunlop Roadsmart in the middle.  From my perspective the T31 is a great sport touring tire and the price is fantastic. I'll stick with the Bridgestones.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, paRTy said:

where on the tire do you look to see where it's manufactured?

It’s on the sidewall.  For instance 4219 means 42nd week of 2019

2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I had a set of Roadtecs on my K1600GT. FWIW the front was made in China (as are many of Pirelli family of m/c tires) while the rear was made in Germany.  The front tire was horrible.  It howled and began to exhibit a strange cupping on just the left side of the front tire.  I wasn't crazy about the grip either.  Other K1600 riders had the same issues. ...

I had a set of RoadTec 01s and they had decent grip, but I experienced cupping as well (no worse than a Michelin PR4 however).  I had a strange vibration about 50 MPH on those tires as well.  I even had them rechecked for balance by the installer (they still were fine on his machine).  When those tires were replaced the vibration went away completely.  I've had a couple of sets since then and the vibration never returned.

I run Continental RoadAttack 3 GT now.  Just ordered my 3rd set of those (to be installed next week).

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone T31 GT's. 

$182 delivered - after tax and rebate. 

Coming off Roadtec 01 GT's,  and Pirelli Angel GT A spec before that.

Looking forward to trying this set up.

18 hours ago, paRTy said:

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone T31 GT's. 

$182 delivered - after tax and rebate. 

Where's you get them? At that price I might just buy a set to have on hand.

Time for tires?.... I wore out the Michelins and went to Pirelli Angel GT's ... honest opinion- far more comfortable and great longevity.

Wish I had switched earlier.

1 hour ago, Pappy35 said:

Where's you get them? At that price I might just buy a set to have on hand.

Rocky Mountain ATV  has that same deal, $224 for a set of front/rear GT tires, with a $60 rebate from Bridgestone.  I got the rebate in less than 2 weeks.

• Like 3

Cap is right...........RockymountainATV is where I purchased.

They do have to charge tax, but oh well. Free shipping.

I did the $60 rebate online at Bridgestone web site. You'll need to upload your receipt. They'll send a confirmation afterwards with a # to check on rebate status.

• Like 1