IGNORED

Anybody ever rent in Tuscany?

Riderdrumr

Moderators: I thought this was the best place to post this topic, but move it where you need to.

My wife and I are spending 10 days in northern Italy in early to mid-April. For one of those days I got the Mrs. to agree to a motorcycle ride through Tuscany out of Florence. There are a couple reputable bike and scooter rental place in Florence. The ones I'm considering are HP Motorrad/ New Tuscany Scooter Rental, and Central Italy Motorcycle Tours.  Here are my questions to those who have done this before:

1) How was the rental experience from the company you chose?

2) Any surprising costs you weren't expecting?

3) What routes did you take? Were they good/bad? What would you have done differently?

4) It seems to be an easy region to ride. How was the traffic or other drivers? (BTW- I've ridden in Manhattan, Philly and northern NJ with relative ease)

5) Any other advice?

Thanks!

We were there last year, late April through a good bit of May.  We had reservations for a 6 day tour with CIMT but they cancelled late because they did not have enough people to fill the roster.  I chose not to rent a bike at all.  Rented a car for 8 days and was exhausted when I checked it in.  Seemed to me that traffic rules are just suggestions there.  Loved Tuscany however, and the trains which we used to travel to Switzerland, Austria and France.  Really like the smaller Italian cities, Vinci, Cortona, Siena, LaSpezia, Tavulia.  Went to Pisa but the scene sucked.  Also enjoyed Florence a lot, Milan not so much.  If I was doing the trip again, sans MC, I would not rent a car as all of the travel we did could have been easily done with our Eurail pass.

• Like 1

Oh man, that sucks that your tour was cancelled. Other than the bike rental for that day, we are using trains for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the insight!

Francois_Dumas

I live in Umbria actually, but the border with Tuscany is just 45 minutes away. We drive and ride there frequently, although more driving than riding lately. 

Rent a MC for just one day out of Florence!? Hmmmmm..... personally I wouldn't. It is expensive, and quite a hassle with getting it, getting gear and dropping it off when doing that on your own. 

Also traffic is a lot worse than anything you can imagine from a US point of view. Manhatten is child's play. 

Someone above mentioned that rules are suggestions..... Very true. It will take you a good few days to get used to the free interpretation and get somewhat comfortable. 

The ideal for US riders is get with a small group and tour guide, so at least you won't have the worries of getting a bike and finding your way AND enjoy some of the things to see. 

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I truly think you are better off getting an organized one day tour by bus or van, than to go it alone. 

Italian roads are wonderful, as is the food, the views and the people, but if at all possible I would save for a dedicated trip and enjoy to the max! 

• Like 1

Unless you are familiar with riding in Italy, I would agree with Francois. The best way to enjoy it would be with a guided group for a few days.

There is no way I could have enjoyed it otherwise. Just the stress of finding my way, much less dealing with traffic, would have ruined it for me.

I will give an unsolicited plug for Edelweiss tours. Probably not the cheapest, but you want for nothing, costs are all listed up front with no "extras" that crop up, a very well run outfit. They also rent bikes if you do want to ride on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ridden in toscana several times and love the area.  I can't believe the warnings I'm seeing here.  It's beautiful!  Sometimes I wonder about the reports I see about areas I've ridden in.  Just remember that cars are very competitive for space on the roads.  Beware of false idols!  

We've rented from HPMotorrad in Milan. No issues.

I've ridden in Tuscany many times and it's not as bad as riding in Rome or Naples. LOL

Most country roads are quasi deserted. You'll be fine. Check your mirrors, stay to the right on narrow roads.

And if you're tempted to ride the Autostrada, stay in right most lane if it is free of traffic. Don't stay in the middle or left lane unless you're passing another vehicle.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...