IGNORED

Bolt size on gear shift linkage

freetime2247

The bolt on the back side on my gear shift linkage backed off and was lost earlier today. Obviously, I could not get the bike out of gear and luckily I was able to coast into an Auto Zone parking lot where I purchased a 3/4 nut. I know its the wrong size however, it secured the linkage long enough for me to make it home. My question is, rather than purchase the entire gear shift selector rod, does anyone know the nut & thread size? You can just make out the nut in the pic below.

s-l1600.jpg

32 minutes ago, freetime2247 said:

The bolt on the back side on my gear shift linkage backed off and was lost earlier today. Obviously, I could not get the bike out of gear and luckily I was able to coast into an Auto Zone parking lot where I purchased a 3/4 nut. I know its the wrong size however, it secured the linkage long enough for me to make it home. My question is, rather than purchase the entire gear shift selector rod, does anyone know the nut & thread size? You can just make out the nut in the pic below.

Evening  freetime2247

That is a  darn good question. My parts book doesn't beak that part down to size or usage.

It is metric so that limits the possibilities.

That 3/4"nut was probably a 1/2" ID nut so depending on how that nut fit can tell us something (A 3/4" OD course-thread nut will loosely fit on a 12mm x 1.75 stud).

If you have metric end wrenches then try sliding a 10mm & 12mm end wrench over the stud threads. If a 10mm wrench will go over it then you probably have a 10mm x 1.5 thread stud. 

If a 10mm end wrench won't fit but a 12mm will then you probably have a 12mm x1.75 thread stud.