IGNORED

Extra Low Seat Help

Teacher

I just purchased, used, an Extra low seat for  my 2013 R1200RT. What do I have to remove to fit this seat? Probably the height adjuster? Anything else I need to change to use the one-piece seat? Before I remove the tupperware?

Thanks for any advise.

You need to remove the forward rubber mounts and the two plastic aft front seat mounts. The front rubber mounts are attached to a rod that is retained by a couple of rubber bands you pull the up and aft and stow it right on top of the battery (you could remove it altogether but I keep it there so I don't end up misplacing it). THe two aft plastic mount are held in place with two 5mm (? maybe 4 or 4 1/2mm) with 10 mm nuts below.

You will need an "iron butt" for that seat. OMG. I have a Russell Sport seat in production right now that I hope to have is a couple of weeks. I have a 29" inseam and they felt confident that they could make it work for me.

I have the corbin extra low I got used for my 09 RT,  it's not bad even after an hour.  More comfortable than the Sargent low was for me.  I have a 29" inseam and it gets me on the balls of my feet which aint bad considering.

Thx Pappy,

Your advise worked out. I picked this Russell up from Jack D. Just so you can see what your Russell will look like on the RT, this is a one piece as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5tbbNwWWkN5Xa9nh9

Eviltwin, it's funny how everybody finds different seats, well, different. I gave up on Corbin a long time ago. Never worked for me. But the Russell is a different thing altogether. That seat is comfortable for HOURS. 

I think the Corbin is better than the Sargent,  probably not the most comfortable though.  It feels hard to sit on,  but that doesnt seem to have an effect on the longer comfort.    The Sargent was not as stiff, but it didn't fare as well after an hour.  That RDL looks real comfy.  I bought my seat from Jack, he didnt have it listed when I bought mine.

Yeah, I'll be looking forward to seeing how low this Russell performs. I sold the other Russell I got with my RT. It was great but I was on one tiptoe at a stop. Never dropped the bike but certainly would if I had my passenger aboard.

3 hours ago, Teacher said:

Thx Pappy,

Your advise worked out. I picked this Russell up from Jack D. Just so you can see what your Russell will look like on the RT, this is a one piece as well.

Oooo baby...that seat makes me think unclean thoughts...haha

My RDL Sport is being built on a two-piece pan but if it looks at all like that I'll be in behind-heaven!

I'm currently running the one-piece "Comfort" seat on my factory-lowered RT and I can put the balls of both feet down at once (or one foot flat and firmly down) and haven't dropped the bike yet (except once when doing low speed work and I got crossed-up, but that's not the seat's fault). 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a Russell Sport seat on a Camhead.

I literally just installed it so I haven't taken it out yet but of course threw a leg over as soon as I was done taking the pictures. On the center stand and seated, there is an immediate sense of "oh...yeah!" It's very, very comfortable and allows quite a bit of fore-aft movement. The seat pocket is not so pronounced that you can't move and the "boys" aren't crunched.

As for ground reach, I have a 29" inseam. Though it's contra-intuitive given how pronounced the wings are, I can still reach the ground with very little perceived difference as compared to the Comfort seat. MUCH less of an issue than I feared actually so I am VERY stoked to get it out in the real world and see what happens.

IMG_20200207_133608.jpg