IGNORED

ilium rear bars only?

bendbill

Background: 1--70's rider concerned about tipover damage;   2--I already mounted the BMW cylinder covers because I like the clean minimalist look;  3--I like the unobtrusive profile of the rear Iliums

Question: With the rear Iliums only, will there be a greater chance of levering the front over much more?  I don't worry about puncturing the BMW cylinder guards, but do worry about tipover momentum pivoting way over and damaging the mirrors.  Ilium  pic show lots of clearance, but I wanted to ask about others' experiences.

Thanks

tipover.jpg

I hate to say this, but have some people assist you in laying it down (towel?) to check the clearance, Clarence.      I suspect that the mirror may be real close.  Once it is in place have those helpers see what happens when they lift the tires off their contact points to see if has more give.  If the area that the bike will potentially tip over is level, you may be okay.   But if there is a slope that is perpendicular to the way it is parked, especially if the down gradient is opposite the side stand, then there is a high likely hood that the mirror may make contact with the ground.   This is from research that I found on the internet.  No.  Not really. :dopeslap:

I have both front and rear ilium protection bars and they work as advertised.  In the likelyhood that a tip-over happens, the ilium bars may need to have the contact point(s) addressed with fine sandpaper and paint.  Just sayin'

"putting all my dirty linen on the street".....This past summer, while in California, I was dead still in a gravel turnout and watching for an opening in traffic by looking over my left shoulder when suddenly I was going down on the right side!  My bike is a 2017 R1200RT, and I have front and rear Ilium bars, but as I went over, my left boot top caught on the shift lever, pulling the bike on over, so that the right side case and mirror touched down.  The mirror popped off, but suffered no scratches.  However, the top edge of the side case got a few "dings".  I was VERY surprised, since the video of John (Ilium owner) turning loose of his RT, and it just laid over onto the guards...no problem!

To be clear, I'm not dissing on Ilium, I still love mine and appreciate the fine quality of their products.  I think my experience is just a really weird set of circumstances.  The bars show no damage, and I have to feel underneath to know it ever happened.  The worst damage was to my pride!  

Michiganr80rt
21 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

"putting all my dirty linen on the street".....This past summer, while in California, I was dead still in a gravel turnout and watching for an opening in traffic by looking over my left shoulder when suddenly I was going down on the right side!  

The worst damage was to my pride!  

I did almost the same thing in Quebec with  my 2014 R1200RT. I was stopped, about to turn right out of a parking lot. I put my right foot down and the boot hit loose gravel and slipped. I was able to slowly drop the bike on the right side. I do not have guard bars for the rear and ended up with scratches in the right case and the mirror snapped off. Some folks helped me get the bike back upright, I snapped the mirror back on, and i went on my way.

I do plan to add rear bars and like the looks of the Illium bars.

Illium front and back. I have highway pegs on the front which adds a bit of protection too.  I dropped my '18 at a stop sign two days after installing the bars.  It fell on the right side and I instinctively fought it for a moment before letting it go.  There was zero damage to anything made by BMW.  There were two scratches on the Illium bars...one in front, and one in the back.  After a two minute flat black Walmart paint touch up, they never happened either.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Danny caddyshack Noonan

2012 with Ilium pegs.  As above, a guided slomo drop will stop at the pegs and tires.  If you are extra dumb and forget to put it in gear on the sidestand with a driveway grade, it will break the mirror off when you try to get on from the right side.