IGNORED

The music world just lost the best drummer

Rougarou

Referred to as “drum Jesus” at my house.  

very sorry to hear this .  A singularly talented lyricist and musician.   

• Like 2

WOW!!   I am in shock.  I just found out about this.  Laura told me when she got home this evening (heard it on the FM radio.)  I was out of the loop all day today as I did not listen to any radio.  

"When I heard that he was gone
I felt a shadow cross my heart"

peace OUT,  brother Neil.

*chuck, chuck,  BOOM*

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He also authored several motorcycle related books.

Sad loss to music,and to the motorcycling world.

Condolences to his family and the entire RUSH family.

JR356

• Like 2

This is their final track from their last album. Seems fitting, their last song, as it were.  (Live video at end)                                       

The Garden

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is - and whatever
Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow flies when you dream, the hours tick away - the cells tick away
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
The hours tick away - they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun
'Til the stars go spinning - 'round the night
It is what it is - and forever
Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe, the hours tick away - the cells tick away
The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time
It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory
With only a moment between
Forever dwells in that moment
Hope is what remains to be seen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That song already has a phenomenal guitar solo in it, now it brings tears to my eyes.  Thanks for posting. 

/getting dusty around here

• Like 2

I only once saw Rush in concert, and it was to see Neil on drums. He’s also the reason I took up motorcycling - and riding BMWs. A very good friend of mine came over to our house, and told me that he had just read Ghost Rider, by Neil Peart. He then went on to tell me that he was inspired to sign up for a riding course, and that he was going to buy a BMW. Neither of us was a rider at the time, obviously. I thought he had lost his mind, but about a week later, I picked up the same book. After reading it, I also signed up for the course, and bought my first BMW (I’m on my fourth now).  This was back in 2002. And we weren’t the only ones. 

God speed, Neil. 🇨🇦

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
"It was exciting, and funny later, but nerve-racking at the time -- adventures suck when you're having them" 
     - Neil Peart, Roadshow

• Like 3
On 1/11/2020 at 7:09 AM, wbw6cos said:

That song already has a phenomenal guitar solo in it, now it brings tears to my eyes.  Thanks for posting. 

/getting dusty around here

Yes, and the The Garden has brought tears to my eyes over the 9 years since it was released. It, like most Rush songs, is relatable; and the words

The arrow flies when you dream, the hours tick away - the cells tick away
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes

are so relatable as one reflects on one's own life - and provides a sobering sense of urgency. Peart repeats 'The hours tick away - they tick away' several times in the song for emphasis. The reflective nature this song can bring to mind hits home emotionally in end-of-life scenarios that are all to common with family and friends at my stage in life. And the tears can flow. That line.... the cells tick away.... gets me every time.

My mother had a Masters in English, and perhaps as a way of trying to bridge and connect our two worlds, I would share the lyrics from random Rush songs I found moving. Always playing hard to get, she would seldom comment. This started back when I was 16 or so. I didn't share lyrics often - and without acknowledgement or feedback, I shared less often. Decades later, out of the blue, she asked me on the phone if I "still liked that band Rush". I replied I did and she said she'd missed my sending her the lyrics.

She was a complicated woman.

Rush released their last album, 'Clockwork Angels' (featuring The Garden) about a year before she died. She was bedridden by this time, but fully mentally functional. The Garden immediately had significance to me because it was based on the closing tune  "Make Our Garden Grow" from the musical Candide by Voltaire. This played often enough at our house growing up, and we'd seen the musical in NYC. It was one of mom's favorites (and mine). With the strong ties to Candide, perhaps she'd lower her veneer and comment if I shared The Garden with her. 

The sobering truth of the line....... The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes ......brought meaning and irony, as I had become the sibling charged with her well being. After sharing The Candide tie in and The Garden lyrics (and song) with her, she said nothing of significance. Fact is, I don't recall her saying anything, but she must have said something. Thinking about it now, it's quite likely that in her own reflection, The Garden hit too close to home.

We were all there when she breathed her last, we were watching the cells tick away.....

The summer after she died, I was in Michigan with my younger-older sister and I told her the story about The Garden. And as I played the song for my sister, the tears flowed.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 5

Very touching story, Dave.  Thanks for sharing.

On my ride back from Tifton today, I found out about Syrius XM paying tribute to Neil by playing Rush music non-stop, for a limited time.   It was like my music stored on my old phone.  I got to hear 2112, front side.  It was nice to hear them playing songs that I have not heard in quite a while. 

In case anyone is interested (and have access) it is on the Deep Tracks channel (27)  TRIBUTE info

6 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Very touching story, Dave.  Thanks for sharing.

On my ride back from Tifton today, I found out about Syrius XM paying tribute to Neil by playing Rush music non-stop, for a limited time.  

Thanks - I set Shawn's car radio to it. She'll have it changed before she gets out of the driveway tomorrow.

Tonight's selections - taking in Neil's dvds.

20200112_222911.thumb.jpg.a7197581996d5e5e7fd87911077105e9.jpg

• Like 1

For the uninitiated out there like me who didn't know how to pronounce his last name -- here is part of a skit where he personally clarifies that it is like a pier with a t.  Discussed earlier today by Kristine Stone on Sirius.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pronounce+neil+peart&docid=608052658519673128&mid=D567D8EF01A843982F7CD567D8EF01A843982F7C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Rush Tribute channel on SiriusXM has moved from Deep Tracks to another channel.  Below is some information.

"Join us as we remember Neil Peart, influential drummer and lyricist for Rush. A limited-time Rush Tribute Channel will be available on Channel 717 through Tuesday, February 11
at 3am ET."

*chuck   chuck   BOOM*

• Like 1

Perfect timing! The Mrs. and I are out tonight in her car (which has XM) and of course I immediately went to deep tracks... Only to find (to Mrs. Indy Dave's b delight) that it wasn't All Rush! Needless to say, the ride home later tonight will be wonderful!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

The Rush Tribute channel on SiriusXM has moved from Deep Tracks to another channel.  Below is some information.

"Join us as we remember Neil Peart, influential drummer and lyricist for Rush. A limited-time Rush Tribute Channel will be available on Channel 717 through Tuesday, February 11
at 3am ET."

*chuck   chuck   BOOM*

Mrs. Indy Dave does have XM in her car and she enjoys it . .. . less so when I have her radio tuned to Rush. So imagine my disappointment when I couldn't surprise her on the way home tonight by tuning to 717. 717 must be a streaming channel  - I wasn't able to dial it in on her car radio. Now true, with 80gigs of music on my phone, I could no doubt have filled her car with Rush all the way home (I didn't). The thrill is having her radio fill her car with The Holy Trinity of Canada.... because if her radio is playing it, it must be ordained! As I scrolled through the XM catalog looking in vain for 717, she asked what I was looking for... "Oh nothing" I said. So I ended up doing what I always do in her car (when not playing music from my phone) - jumping around various stations, and checking in on Yacht Rock about every 4 minutes, each of us guessing the artist or song playing before I change it - Yacht Rock has a amazingly shallow catalog.

We're entertained easily.

I did not check it out on the RT yet.    It did seem like a high number to me.  Every once in a while, the linking/updating words appear and at times, it starts off on channel 184, which is the Preview channel.  That used to bother me, but after bumping the wonder wheel to the left numerous times, I found out it was qucker to change it to the right as I am usually between channels 25 and 41.  Now that I think about it, I do not remember what the highest channel number was, but it cannot be much more than 184.  Guess I will find out when I head to work this morning,

• 1 year later...