IGNORED

Caribbean all-inclusive resorts - recommendations?

poodad

The wife and I are thinking about spending a week at an all inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean. We never done a resort before - our normal vacations are cruises.

I'm thinking Punta Cana since the State Department says it is one of the safest places to vacation in the Caribbean. I have a friend who swears that Aruba is far and and away the best spot, but I've never found anyone else who's been there.

I've been hearing rumors that Caribbean beaches are having a horrible seaweed problem and that most resorts can't keep their beaches clean. That's not necessarily a show stopper. A nice pool will work just fine.

Any locales or specific resorts you'd recommend? Any I should avoid?

https://www.barcelo.com/en-gb/barcelo-hotels/

We chose the Barceló Maya Beach Property. There are five different parts of the resort. The soon to open “Adult” property will be my next choice. 

I stayed here a couple months ago.

The beach was great.

The service was good.

The food was okay.
The Cancun airport was easy.

Plenty to see and do.

Very well organized.

The ”premium upgrade” was worth it.

I will go back

@Limecreek

Edited by Whip

Aruba is wonderful... been there twice going again in November.  Manchebo beach resort is great, I think they have an all inclusive option, we never use that.  Many of the big resorts have a tiny beach and big crowds, this place is next to eagle beach and is small but well run.

It’s the only place I’ve been down there so my experience is limited, my wife has done several cruises with her sisters and they always come back to Manchebo.  

• Like 1

We’ve been going to Iberostar resorts for the last 5 years. Check out the one in Punta Cana, we were there last year and found it to be very nice. No mater where you stay in Punta google Punta Cana Mike, he will take a very small group around to show you life there and stop at a cigar making shop that will impress anyone. 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, poodad said:

The wife and I are thinking about spending a week at an all inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean. We never done a resort before - our normal vacations are cruises.

I'm thinking Punta Cana since the State Department says it is one of the safest places to vacation in the Caribbean. I have a friend who swears that Aruba is far and and away the best spot, but I've never found anyone else who's been there.

I've been hearing rumors that Caribbean beaches are having a horrible seaweed problem and that most resorts can't keep their beaches clean. That's not necessarily a show stopper. A nice pool will work just fine.

Any locales or specific resorts you'd recommend? Any I should avoid?

There are so many beautiful places to hang out for a break from winter, depending on what you like to do/see.  I've been to Aruba; Cozumel; Bahamas; Jamaica...and all are great for different reasons.   You likely know that the "ABC Islands" (Aruba; Bonaire; Curacao) are world-famous for scuba diving adventures.  I remember being surprised at the almost desert-like terrain once away from the tourist resorts.  Renting a Jeep will get you into the heart of Aruba, but watch out for thorns that attack tires!  Have fun wherever you go!  jb