IGNORED

De-lurking and introducing myself because I just did a thing

Verstehen

After a month spent lurking and learning in these forums, today I surface because I just did . . . a thing.

First, some background: My entire motorized, two-wheeled riding experience consisted of a couple of years of highway-legal motorscootering in the late 80s until – with the enthusiastic support of my Mrs – I took an MSF course and gained a proper motorcycle endorsement in autumn 2017. Since then, I've ridden over 15,000 miles on a succession of Anglo-American iron—initially on the elemental Bonneville/Sportster continuum; more recently in the heavy American touring genre.

However, as my big-ass bike sits in winter storage at the dealership, offseason thoughts turned recently to the very first motorcycle I ever piloted: a high-school acquaintance's BMW—most likely an R75/5, as appears in my profile cover photo here, but my memory of it (and of 1981, generally) is fuzzy. It could have been an R90/6. Making all of three circuits of his cul-de-sac, without helmet or license, the ride (if not the model of the bike) left an impression.

Admiration for German engineering in other contexts, coupled with another ten weeks or so until the riding season commences in these usually-snowy-in-winter climes, finds me recently considering a BMW motorcycle of my own—hence my lurkage here.

Now, the thing: A cool new motorcycle dealership in my town recently got in trade a 2001 R 1100 RT (pictured) with (what I gather from my reading here is an astonishingly low) 8400 miles on it.* After an intensive weekend of R 1100 RT-focused research here and elsewhere on the internet, yesterday I test-rode the sweet machine in unseasonably mild weather and, finding it sublime, signed paperwork for same.

Upgrading the brake lines to stainless steel seems, from my reading, to be an essential modification. I've learned a lot in these forums so far and am thankful for the generosity with which knowledge is shared here. See you in the Oilhead forum!

Verstehen (a.k.a., Lex)
Upper Midwest, USA

* The sole previous owner had a fleet of bikes across which he spread his riding miles.

IMG_2101.jpeg

Edited by Verstehen
Missing letter.
  • Like 3

Welcome from cold and snowy Northeast Ohio! I bought my first beemer, a '03 R1150RT, based on my perception of legendary BMW performance and engineering and one test ride. The test ride wow'd me, to say the least. I've been riding it for a year and loving it!

• Like 1

Welcome Lex! You know you have to name that bike Luthor, right? :grin: My unofficial job is to display new rides on the front page so check for yours. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice. Older but very low mileage bikes can sometimes have seals that can become problematic but replacing the brake lines is a great start. That's a very bullet-proof vintage boxer.

Chris Harris posted a bunch of videos that go into repair and maintenance of Oilheads like yours. Check them out. His recent videos have gotten a bit strange but definitely check out the older ones, they are very informative and kind of entertaining (beware of copious use of salty language...haha).

Chris Harris BMW

Welcome aboard and ride safe!

• Like 1

Most people say welcome to the Forum... I say welcome to the Asylum... 

Great looking bike. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Notice that on this site there are different forums for different year-groups of bikes. Many experience riders there to help with questions and suggestions.

• Like 1

Welcome!  Great choice of bike.  Mine is also a 2001 - last of the R1100RT?  Brake hose replacements for sure.  Left side cam chain tensioner, soon and Hall Effect Sensor wiring replacement or total replacement a bit later.  Lots of great written and video resources.  Ask for assistance when needed.  (My 2001 has "slightly" more miles than yours - 201K).

• Like 1

Wonderful machine. The prettiest RT body style IMO. One of my first concerns would be the age of the tires. Check the sidewall for the manufacture date. A healthy contact patch is all you have between your skin and asphalt meeting unexpectedly. Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome from the California central coast. I also have a 2001 R1100RT, 104K miles. Runs great and in excellent shape. Keep an eye on the oil. Many owners report needing to add about 1 qt oil every 3k miles or so. The mods I've done are stainless steel brake lines, Clearwater running lights, SignalMinder, LED turn signals and brake light, Cyclops LED H4 10,000+ Lumen headlight bulb, Aeroflow windscreen, loud horn upgrade - there's s thread in the oilhead forum on this, painted the side cases to match the body color. 

I also agree that the 1100RT and 1150RT have the best looking RT styling, IMO.

I'd recommend changing out all the fluids, if not already done, and new tires if they are original. 

Best

Miguel

• Like 1

Stunning, as others have noted, I think the older RTs are the prettiest.  I have and love my present 2013 but still like the organic shape of the 1st and second generation best.

• Like 1

Sweet look'n 1100... and as others have said, this vintage has the easiest  lines; they bespeak a rounded design and aesthetic that is unmatched in the contemporary line.  Good find with low mileage.  

And welcome... :burnout

• Like 1
fourteenfour

Welcome, my first BMW was the 96 model year of that particular motorcycle and I always have a soft spot for them.  Your picture gives the same impression of someone buying that bike new, looks so good

• Like 1

Thank you, all, for the warm welcome to the forum (or, as @hopz has it, the asylum :grin:)! Thanks also for the what-to-look-out-fors.

I visited the dealer this afternoon to finalize the purchase. In addition to collecting the keys, the original (:classic_ohmy:) owner's manual, and the title, I walk away also with an itemized list of everything the dealership did to the bike prior to offering it for sale:

1. New oil filter
  2. Oil change (Power 1 V-twin 4T 20W50)
  3. Replace BMW right (I'm assuming that's what "RGT" stands for) brake caliper
  4. Mount, balance new front and rear tires (Angel GT 120/70R17 58W, 160/60R 18 70W radials) [Rest easy, @Rinkydink:)]
  5. Battery installation: sealed factory activated battery 
  6. Replace fuel pump: replacement fuel pump kit R850/1100/1150 

Luthor can be the bike's codename, @TEWKS. (I'm partial, though, to calling her Brünhild.)

It appears I hail from @Miguel!'s neighborhood, broadly construed, and @LBump's, very broadly construed. (I grew up near Monterey Bay.)

My near-term agenda involves stainless steel brake lines, crash bars (I enjoy practicing low-speed parking lot maneuvers and want to be ready for the inevitable drop), LED lighting, a bar back/riser (because in the stock handlebar position a bit too much weight rests on my hands), and likely lower pegs (because in the stock position my knees feel a trifle high). 

Again, thank you for the welcome and for the advice. I know I need it—and I'll be coming back for more.

Edited by Verstehen
Extraneous comma deleted.
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Verstehen said:

Thank you, all, for the warm welcome to the forum (or, as @hopz has it, the asylum :grin:)! Thanks also for the what-to-look-out-fors.

I visited the dealer this afternoon to finalize the purchase. In addition to collecting the keys, the original (:classic_ohmy:) owner's manual, and the title, I walk away also with an itemized list of everything the dealership did to the bike prior to offering it for sale:

1. New oil filter
  4. Mount, balance new front and rear tires (Angel GT 120/70R17 58W, 160/60R 18 70W radials) [Rest easy, @Rinkydink:)]

Luthor can be the bike's codename, @TEWKS. (I'm partial, though, to calling her Brünhild.)

It appears I hail from @Miguel!'s neighborhood, broadly construed, and @LBump's, very broadly construed. (I grew up near Monterey Bay.)

My near-term agenda involves stainless steel brake lines, crash bars (I enjoy practicing low-speed parking lot maneuvers and want to be ready for the inevitable drop), LED lighting, a bar back/riser (because in the stock handlebar position a bit too much weight rests on my hands), and likely lower pegs (because in the stock position my knees feel a trifle high). 

Again, thank you for the welcome and for the advice. I know I need it—and I'll be coming back for more.

Great job!! Don’t go playing Valentino Rossi on your new tires until you scuff ‘em in. Enjoy that fine scoot!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Great job!! Don’t go playing Valentino Rossi on your new tires until you scuff ‘em in. Enjoy that fine scoot!

Takes about 100 miles of mixed riding with turns so take it easy for a bit. 

BTW, the keys are the same keys used by the BMW cars and I was able to get duplicated at a local locksmith for $4 each. I put a spare in all my jackets and riding pants. I also hid one on the bike

Best

Miguel 

• Like 1

Great bike!  Welcome to the group.  I had a 1996 1100RT from new until the spring of 2018 when I got a water boxer.  That 1100 gave me 116,000 trouble free miles with just a few pre emptive measures.  I replaced the output shaft bearing when it showed a little bit of pitting at about 60 K miles.  I replaced the HES unit and the throttle/break cables at about 86 K just because I thought I should.  I replaced the sight glass window when it appeared to be weeping.  Three headlight bulbs and a tail light bulb.  In 116,000 miles.  You've got a bike.  Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Rinky... we know you so well now we have picked a "nom de plume" for you... in this case "We" means "Me" but I digress.

Again you have scored a great bike, with significant features as well as the massive history and many friends and prior owners with direct experience.

You said the dealer installed Pirelli Angel GTs... that my friend is a magnificent gift.  I could only say that if you had another brand and then came to your senses and installed the Angel GTs you would have a beer appreciations for them....nuff said.

OBTW I strongly vote for getting many miles with your new ride before doing any significant "upgrades" or modifications. For one reason- fixing something that isn't broke will possibly yield some "improvement" you will never know or appreciate, and two- it may not be needed. Another guys "irritation" or problem may be related to something you do not have. Meaning resources down the drain. Etc.

• Like 3
On 1/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, Verstehen said:

a bar back/riser (because in the stock handlebar position a bit too much weight rests on my hands), and likely lower pegs (because in the stock position my knees feel a trifle high). 

I'd recommend that you ride it a while before you make these changes, especially since you're coming from cruisers.  You may find that you get accustomed to this riding position and prefer it (see the post in "Ride Well" on Master Yoda's Riding Position).  My 1150 (very, very similar to your 1100) came with bar risers on it, and it wasn't very long before I took them off.  I always rode with the stock pegs.  I'm 5' 11", 32-inch inseam.

• Like 2
On 1/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I'd recommend that you ride it a while before you make these changes, especially since you're coming from cruisers.  You may find that you get accustomed to this riding position and prefer it (see the post in "Ride Well" on Master Yoda's Riding Position).  My 1150 (very, very similar to your 1100) came with bar risers on it, and it wasn't very long before I took them off.  I always rode with the stock pegs.  I'm 5' 11", 32-inch inseam.

Thank you for the advice, @Bill_Walker. It will be heeded. Thank you also for the pointer to the MYRP post. (I'm only about a third of the way through the initial post but it's been interesting reading.)

If you feel like you are sliding forward in the seat, try a search for 'seat jacks'.  You can  make them yourself and made a big difference for me.  They shim the front of the seat.

• Like 1

Don't feel bad about Lurking.... I do the same.  I'm interested myself about upgrades as I have been riding my 2018 1200RT for a year and I am getting used to coming off a Harley Ultra Classic.  I am now used to it, but wonder if I should invest in some SS Brake lines.  I know they are better as less flex compared to rubber, but what other things should I consider?

Best of luck with your new ride Lex!!

• Like 1

‘18 1200RT comes equipped with SS brake lines from the factory. Now you can look for other expensive farkles instead. Ilium engine and side case guards (Link)are very useful and popular. 

• Like 1

Having ridden an RT for ten days in Europe, my only experience with riding BMWs so far, save for a K1600 test ride, has proven to me that the engine guards are so worth it. It is the only motorcycle I have ever dropped in my legal riding career of 40 years. No damage incurred on the bike, thank you! (To the cars behind me that started honking their horns, it didn't help.)

That experience, by the way, is the reason I'm on this site, as an RT has been heavy on my radar ever since. The nicest motorcycle I've ever ridden. And I love my Harleys, don't get me wrong. But the power, low weight, handling, all of it, just sucked me in. Kind of liked that electric windshield too...

For the record, I like the RT better than the K bike.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:25 PM, Verstehen said:

1. New oil filter

Welcome to the fold!  In case you don't already know, the seat height is adjustable so if it's at the low position bringing it up may help with your leg position.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

I feel my 2000 R1100RT is the best motorcycle I have ever owned.  Put 100K on mine.  Pure sweetness!  Keep us updated with your adventures!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Verstehen,

You did a GOOD thing!!  And you will really enjoy it!!

The HES wiring is a very well nown issue.  Heat and time destroy the insulation on the HES wires from the engine to the ECU.  Usually with a rain shower or washing the bike, the wires will short and it will be dead until you replace/repair it.  GSAddict here does an excellent rewire using hi-temp wire that is a permanent fix.  Happened to me on my '99 RT a mile from the house, fortunately.  Knew exactly what it was immediately from reading up on it here.  You probably have some time before yours quits, yours being such low mileage.

The brake lines decompose from the inside from contact with the DOT4 brake fluid.  TIME is the enemy, not miles, on them.  Spiegler and Galfer make kits and are an easy DIY, driveway, one day install.  

Replace ALL the bulbs with LED's.  All except the GEN bulb in the instruments.  Has to be an incandesent bulb.  The headlight bulb is most important, then the brake/tail light bulbs.  https://www.superbrightleds.com/  has a very good selection of /LED bulbs and a very good "bulb finder" for motorcycles.  Get RED LED bulbs for red lenses (brake/tail lights), amber for the amber turn signals, etc., and get the highest LUMINS you can find in the right base size.  You will see and BE SEEN much better.

My bike doesn't like synthetic oils.  Some of the seals weep synthetic oil but when changed back to dino oil they quit.

Looks like you have an aftermarket driver's seat.  VERY good thing!!

An AFXIED by NightRider made a HUGE improvement to the way my bike runs.  It removes all the ultra lean engine issues, runs and warms up soooo much better now.  No more stalling, bucking.   Runs cooler, too.  Easy plug and play install on my bike.

Safe travels!!

• Thanks 1
On 1/23/2020 at 12:32 PM, Rinkydink said:

‘18 1200RT comes equipped with SS brake lines from the factory. Now you can look for other expensive farkles instead. Ilium engine and side case guards (Link)are very useful and popular. 

Thanks for the info!!!  I am too busy riding that I don't mess with it much or look for upgrades.  Coming from the Harley...and spending stupid amounts of money, I just want something quick and comfortable and now that I have gotten used to it, I am looking for what other upgrades people do.

I want to replace the Halogen with LED and I have spend a few hours trying to get the 2 spring loaded clips to clip but nope....put the originals back in.  It's amazing the Halo is LED but the bulb is Halogen......  I hate the look but then again, I am always behind the bars!!!