IGNORED

Border trip - Suggestions appreciated

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

We're thinking about a road trip by car in early to mid Feb.  Fly to IAH and rent a car for the trip which terminates in SD; then, fly home.

Any suggestion you might offer is appreciated.

TIA

image.thumb.png.f2d6c1f842eaba529cc2a4e500d594bc.png

The map doesn't provide the detail needed to give specific advice.  You might want to break it up and show the exact route you are considering.  A list of cities or locations you are considering along with your time line will also be helpful.  

• Like 1

John...I've made the route many times.  I wouldn't suggest Laredo, but if that's on your bucket list...do some reviews first.  That is a pretty high crime border area.  Let me know what you are interested in and I'll give you some suggestion.

Big Bend is interesting, do some research on Austin...perhaps the Alamo in San Antonio...Grand Canyon in Arizona...much more along the way.  I live 5 miles from downtown Houston so if I can be of any help let me know.

On your way past Austin, Fredericksburg, TX has the National Museum of the Pacific War, which should take at least 2 full days to see it all, or a good portion of it.  IF you go that far north.

Going through San Antonio, just a bit north is https://www.wildliferanchtexas.com/  Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. Drive through zoo. Feed the Zebras out your car window, Ostriches, many others. 

Laredo just isn't very scenic. Boring trip to and from.

Consider getting on 90 west of San Antonio headed toward Del Rio. Stay on 90 and you can add in Big Bend. Recommend staying a night in Alpine, then driving into Big Bend to see the beautiful sites at the Chisos Mountain lodge and then down to see the canyon/border crossing at the Rio Grande. Nice hiking trail there and you are rock throwing distance from Mexico. Quite a site, the canyon is. 

You can then run the border, literally, up toward Presidio. Then take 67 up toward Marfa and on to I-10. If you stay in Alpine ( only place near with decent motels ) you can leave early and one full day in Big Bend will work well. You could even circle back from Marfa and stay in Alpine another night. 

I know nothing about Texas.  

But Carlsbad Caverns National Park and Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument are open year round.  No bats at Carlsbad at that time of year (on their migration south).  Could be cool and some ice on the trails at Gila Cliff Dwellings. 

Good time to visit Saguaro National Park and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.  Contact Mr Olson for more information on the Tucson area. 

Mike Cassidy  

John Ranalletta

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions.  It's coming together.

Very helpful was re-watching Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown", season 12, episode 5.

image.png.7132b0484d1542a5d7f5c57a0cc6ea29.png