IGNORED

Starter Motor Loud Knocking...

Mayowayo

R1200GS 07 65.000 miles

Can Anyone Help?

When I try and start the bike (push start button) I get a very loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area. The banging noise goes as soon as the engine starts running. (bike runs fine) I have taken the starter motor out and have checked the Fly wheel gear plate inside all the way round. (by putting 6th gear and turning the back wheel all the way round)

There are no signs of the fly wheel plate being bent, loose or any teeth worn.

I replaced the old starter motor with a new one, after a piece eventually broke off when starting the bike too many times with the kocking. 

The new starter motor is making the same loud banging noise. I am reluctant to keep turning it over just incase this one breaks as well. 

Photos attached.

Thank you in advance.

1306692212_2019-12-2914_43_00.thumb.jpg.7c37f9e1895c4a75b416c4c2cddd9815.jpg

1519040383_2019-12-2914_37_26.thumb.jpg.54db93e28e6888e4c91c3586787ef4d8.jpg

590353667_2019-12-2914_42_54.thumb.jpg.9ebd25824e1b3aac60cd8df33ee198e5.jpg

4 hours ago, Mayowayo said:

R1200GS 07 65.000 miles

Can Anyone Help?

When I try and start the bike (push start button) I get a very loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area. The banging noise goes as soon as the engine starts running. (bike runs fine) I have taken the starter motor out and have checked the Fly wheel gear plate inside all the way round. (by putting 6th gear and turning the back wheel all the way round)

There are no signs of the fly wheel plate being bent, loose or any teeth worn.

I replaced the old starter motor with a new one, after a piece eventually broke off when starting the bike too many times with the kocking. 

The new starter motor is making the same loud banging noise. I am reluctant to keep turning it over just incase this one breaks as well. 

Photos attached.

Thank you in advance.

Afternoon Mayowayo

Those flywheel teeth look pretty rounded over ( they were more square ended at one time).

For some reason it looks like the starter drive isn't engaging deep enough into the flywheel teeth.

Can you post up a picture(s) of the flywheel  teeth from a more straight on view, possibly in a few different clocking locations. 

I'm not sure how you can do it but can you see if you can move the  flywheel back & forth (laterally), maybe the rear main  bearing has a lot of cross-bike wear. 

https://youtu.be/HqdVXQZ-Pko

i have removed the spark plug leads and fuel cable so not to firer up engine. please turn your volume up to hear the loud knock. the Battery is 2 years old and may have not the high crack amperage to give the full turn speed it should. going to try with a fully charged spare battery tomorrow.
a friend said hold the clutch in as well?
Please keep coming up with ideas.
i will let you know how i get on with above ideas. Thanks everyone for you support

11 minutes ago, Mayowayo said:

https://youtu.be/HqdVXQZ-Pko

i have removed the spark plug leads and fuel cable so not to firer up engine. please turn your volume up to hear the loud knock. the Battery is 2 years old and may have not the high crack amperage to give the full turn speed it should. going to try with a fully charged spare battery tomorrow.
a friend said hold the clutch in as well?
Please keep coming up with ideas.
i will let you know how i get on with above ideas. Thanks everyone for you support

Afternoon Mayowayo

That is a little low on the cranking power.

Post us another sound recording with the spare battery hooked up. 

Maybe also run another sound recording with the upper spark plugs removed to reduce compression load.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Mayowayo

Maybe also run another sound recording with the upper spark plugs removed to reduce compression load.

i´ll get back to you!! on to it now. thank you for your ideas. 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Mayowayo

********************** Conclusion *********************

Starter noise caused by a damaged flywheel 

After replacing the bike with a new battery.. unfortunately -   i am still getting the same loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area. 

Since then i have lock on YouTube and have found a video with the same noise and problem. Link below:

Thank you for all your help.

4 hours ago, Mayowayo said:

********************** Conclusion *********************

Starter noise caused by a damaged flywheel 

After replacing the bike with a new battery.. unfortunately -   i am still getting the same loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area. 

Since then i have lock on YouTube and have found a video with the same noise and problem. Link below:

Thank you for all your help.

Morning Mayowayo

Can you post up a picture(s) of the flywheel  teeth from a more straight on view, possibly in a few different clocking locations.  (the pictures that you posted showed what looks like rounded flywheel teeth, I would like to verify)

I'm not sure how you can do it but can you see if you can move the  flywheel back & forth (laterally), maybe the rear main  bearing has a lot of cross-bike wear. (you need to verify that your rear main bearing isn't worn therefore allowing the flywheel to move away from the starter drive)