IGNORED

LS2 MX470 Subverter Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

LS2 Subverter review intro

I’ve been riding in an adventure helmet for the last couple of years, but found myself wanting better ventilation at slow speeds and during the hottest times of summer. When I came across the LS2 MX470 Subverter, I was immediately drawn to the design, and its host of safety features sealed the deal. I chose the “Bomber” graphic, a bold, hi-viz yellow with metallic navy and red stripes and lettering.

The Subverter is LS2’s top-of-the-line motocross helmet, and carries DOT and ECE certifications for street use, but omits features such as reflective areas or speaker pockets. Its polycarbonate shell is backed up by a dual-density EPS foam liner to absorb both high- and low-speed impacts. Sandwiching the EPS is a thin, inner polycarbonate layer which allows the comfort liner to slide, reducing the rotational force some crashes can impart to a rider’s head. Finishing up the safety features are emergency release cheek pads and a reinforced chin strap secured by double D-rings.

Comfort-wise, the liner is soft and does a good job of wicking sweat while having ample cutouts to allow air to move through the vents and channels in the EPS liner. I wear a medium and the Subverter fits me as expected with no hot spots on my intermediate oval head. The cheek pads started snug and firm but broke in after several hours of wear and are now all-day comfortable. My only complaint is the chin strap is a little stiff and could be a touch longer for ease of threading through the D-rings and pressing into the snap.

Air flow through the numerous vents is everything I was hoping for; in fact, my first ride in this helmet was on a cool 50°F day and it was a little too cooling. Another surprise of the Subverter was the high-speed manners; while it is quite loud above 60 mph, neither the peak nor the angular design induces undue drag or vibration. The eye port is generously sized and comfortably fits the 100% Accuri and Racecraft goggles I have on hand.

Cleaning the Subverter is a bit of a chore; the design and vents provide plenty of crevices for bugs and mud to embed and dry. Also, LS2 decided to go for a mix of white and bright neon colors on the liner which will almost certainly become gray and dingy over time.

Overall, the Subverter is a real contender when it comes to a dirt helmet and a relatively spartan option for dual-sport or adventure riding. LS2 went bold with the styling, smart with the safety, and miserly on the price. This is a helmet you’ll see the pros wear on the supercross track but it won’t sting your wallet quite as badly as some others if gravity gets the best of you.

LS2 Subverter front

LS2helmets.us

MSRP: $249.98–$374.98

PROS:

• Great air flow
  • Good high-speed stability
  • Protection from rotational injury
  • Bold styling and a variety of graphics options

CONS:

• Chin strap is stiff and feels short in use
  • Light-colored interior will become discolored with use
  • Hard to clean bugs and dirt from vents and tight spaces