IGNORED

GS-911 Diagnostic tool

adecood

So I am new to the BMW group. And I just purchased a R1250 RT. And I am looking for a diagnostic tool that I can use to reset my service notice. I saw that the GS-911 is a tool that is made for this bike. I was wondering if there are other less expensive tools out there that can do the same thing. I currently have VCDS software that I use on my VW. And it also uses a OBD II connector to interface with the car just like what is on the RT.

So I am looking for some advice before I plunk down another $300 on a specialize tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look under CAMHEADS and find the topic GS911, in this topic a member mention some other diagnostic tools that will do what you re looking for and maybe more for a far less cost by the post. 

Research  OBDLink MX+  combined with Motoscan  as it supposedly works.  But, you have to have an Android,....doesn't work on iphone.  Luckily for me, the wife just upgraded her galaxy, so that leaves me with a nice little android to test out when/if I get to the point of diagnostics or service indicator resets.  On the HP4, I just ignored the service indicator.

Richard... OBD link you posted above shows iPhone support on Amazon.  Is it the Motoscan software that is Android only.  I can't seem to find info on Motoscan detail.

Thanks,

David

11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Richard... OBD link you posted above shows iPhone support on Amazon.  Is it the Motoscan software that is Android only.  I can't seem to find info on Motoscan detail.

Thanks,

David

Check the link now for the OBD.  Additionally, Motoscan is a German app.  The app is currently only available for Android devices.

12 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks,

David

It is the MotoScan that only works on Android.  The combination works really well, and as far as I can see, have the same functionality as the GS-911, EXCEPT, right now the ESA re-calibration feature for the wethead RT and newer models doesn't function, but the app developer is working on it, and hope to have that working by next year.  The whole set-up, OBDLink, MotoScan, and converter cable (for bikes older than 2017, with the round 16-pins diagnosis connector) will run you around $100 +/-.  The cost will be a little less, if all that you want to do with it is to reset the service reminder, since all that you will have to pay for, with the MotoScan, is for the "pro" level.  You can always upgrade to the highest "Ultimate" level, and full features, by paying just the differential in cost.  The other nice thing about this set up is that there are NO limitations on the number of bikes that you use the system on, vs. 4 for the cheapest GS-911.

IMHO, for $100, it's worth playing with!

Thanks guys….appreciate the update.  Unfortunately I'm iPhone and Ipad.  Looks like a nice solution for what I need though.  Will keep an eye out for iPhone support.

The GS911 price has been dropped by several merchants to around 270.00 for the WIFI enthusiast version. The Hexcode app is available for IOS devices. There are less expensive solutions, but none as user-friendly. I'm not sure how long the discount will be offered. Got one on the way from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.

Another advantage to the OBDLink LX/MX approach is that you can also use the scanner on your car (with free Android and iOS apps for doing auto diagnostics). Maybe the GS-911 works on cars and trucks as well, but I don't know since I don't have one.

22 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks guys….appreciate the update.  Unfortunately I'm iPhone and Ipad.  Looks like a nice solution for what I need though.  Will keep an eye out for iPhone support.

I don't think that will happen.  OTOH, you can buy one of those very inexpensive Walmart smartphone and use it just for this without activating the phone at all.  I think that you can get away with as little as $12 for the phone.

• 3 months later...

Today was first oil change on the GSA, since its got that moron-reminder of service due, I decided to purchase the app to reset my service reminder,....viola', works like a charm.  Plugged up, synced up, reset date and mileage, done.

There's other things you can do with it, but I've yet explored those options, so, find a secondhand android device, or purchase a new one, the full app is less than $50 and I paid $60 for the OBD LinkMx+, $110 vs $300, the choice is yours.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, Lemans said:

The GS911 price has been dropped by several merchants to around 270.00 for the WIFI enthusiast version. The Hexcode app is available for IOS devices. There are less expensive solutions, but none as user-friendly. I'm not sure how long the discount will be offered. Got one on the way from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.

Porter's Beemershop price still shows $399..  ?? I'd be in at 270..

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Sandlapper said:

Where is the connect point for the gs-911 on ‘18 RT

Good afternoon.

The connection point on a 2018 R1200RT-LC is under the right side cover, just above the foot peg. It's not the small black triangle, it's the cover just in front of it. It is held on by 2 screws and one pin.

It is just in front of the battery area. My 2018 is the rectangular ODB connector.