IGNORED

REV'IT! H20 Scout Boots Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

revit-h20-scout-boots-review

One online retailer lists 725 different entries in its “boots” search. That’s a lot of options. Usually makers fall short when trying to find a one-size-fits-all solution. For riders not given to a shoe fetish nor looking to break the bank, the REV’IT! H2O Scout may be one of the best all-around choices in a mid-height technical boot. It is REV-IT!’s lowest cost model in the H2O series and feels remarkably solid.

From the bottom up it all starts with a four-part molded sole of Vibram with a composite steel shank. It’s soft, with grab and great traction, but stiff for safety and also sports a hiking tread pattern. It’s a soft welcome to newer riders who may be turned off by overly stiff and heavy footwear. The Scout splits the difference nicely and after 12 hours on and off my bike, I had no complaints. Though quite stiff, it felt like a broken-in hiking boot straight out of the box.

revit h20 scout boots review

Side impact and crush protection are not exceptional but also not lacking. These are much closer than I would have thought to technical boots costing twice as much, and handled well with light to moderate dirt use and a few soft spills. The Scout is CE rated for safety, but dedicated MX boots are in a different shopping aisle. Slide protection is quite solid, with bi-cast leather, and the SeeSoft armor affords much more protection than its comfortable feel suggests.

The real make-or-break for me is waterproofing. I don’t often ride dirt or single-track, but being car-free I do ride in rain, often. The Scout doesn’t fear the rain. So far the REV’IT! Hydratex liner has kept its word through several downpours no sane rider would have braved. The boot is a mid-level height so do watch for windblown water to creep up but, with proper riding pants (Aerostich), I’ve had no issues.

revit h20 scout boots review 2

The H2O’s laces are long. Too long, I thought, and then I used them for a month and understood them better. They’re fine. The included speed-lace system can cinch them up and their length allows ample room to open the boot without having to re-lace them through the eyelets every time they’re on and off. Once I got used to them, they go on and snug easily in two simple lace pulls, one for the bottom section and another pull for the top, which I prefer to keep just a bit looser for comfort. The wide hook-and-loop strap up top lets me do just that and still keeps laces safely tucked in.

Function always dictates style for me but that’s not to say I don’t care. These boots have a stylish look that non-riders asked me about. They are easy on the eyes but, more importantly, they’re easy on the feet and on your wallet. MSRP: $199.95 REVITSport.com

PROS:

• Waterproof Hydratex interior
• Vibram sole is very comfortable and won’t hold oil or grease
• Good-looking boot
• Price is exceptional for the versatility and protection

CONS:

• Tall toe; may need to adjust shift lever
• Might be a bit stiff for an all-day shoecy8V4ZmZ2ug

View the full article