IGNORED

Lean angle--part two

uk1200RT

A while back, when I first got my RT, I put in a post wondering about lean angles and how to get a sense of how far I was leaning because the view of the windscreen edge against the horizon told my brain I was leaning too far.

I now have over 2K miles on the bike and I am very hapy to report that this thing handles VERY well. Nothing has touched down other than the footpegs (which was my initial concern...that the engine would hit first) and it even holds its own while two up. If you are not confident in what this bike can do, you have nothing to worry about. grin.gif Just ask that guy on the GSXR750...I think he was surprised to see a BMW with a top box in front of him thumbsup.gif

A while back, when I first got my RT, I put in a post wondering about lean angles and how to get a sense of how far I was leaning because the view of the windscreen edge against the horizon told my brain I was leaning too far.

I now have over 2K miles on the bike and I am very hapy to report that this thing handles VERY well. Nothing has touched down other than the footpegs (which was my initial concern...that the engine would hit first) and it even holds its own while two up. If you are not confident in what this bike can do, you have nothing to worry about. grin.gif Just ask that guy on the GSXR750...I think he was surprised to see a BMW with a top box in front of him thumbsup.gif

Way to go! I know the feeling. You should see the looks I get from some guys when I pass them on my GS with the top trunk attacked to my back seat. Some of them laugh and give me a thumbs up!

When I ride my Aprilia, I'm typically out with liter-class sportbikes and the like. I showed up one Sunday with my ST, top case in tow. The buddies, while quite impressed with the bike, snickered a bit, then commented about me not bringing enough horsepower that day (3 1k's, 1 ZX10, 2 Ducs and a couple R6's; all riders over 35; no squids allowed). Not long into the ride only 2 Gixxers were in front of me, and I was showing a front wheel to them. At one intersection after a very nice spirited back road run, one rider jumped off his 1k, ran back and High-Fived me!

The R1200 ST was the topic of conversation at the first fuel stop. Fuel for them that is; I still had over half a tank !!!

And the Wilbers shocks won't be here till NEXT week...

When I ride my Aprilia, I'm typically out with liter-class sportbikes and the like. I showed up one Sunday with my ST, top case in tow. The buddies, while quite impressed with the bike, snickered a bit, then commented about me not bringing enough horsepower that day (3 1k's, 1 ZX10, 2 Ducs and a couple R6's; all riders over 35; no squids allowed). Not long into the ride only 2 Gixxers were in front of me, and I was showing a front wheel to them. At one intersection after a very nice spirited back road run, one rider jumped off his 1k, ran back and High-Fived me!

The R1200 ST was the topic of conversation at the first fuel stop. Fuel for them that is; I still had over half a tank !!!

And the Wilbers shocks won't be here till NEXT week...

I've got a set of Wilbers being put on right now. I'm tied up this weekend but next weekend I'll be looking for a fight. thumbsup.gif

Nothing has touched down other than the footpegs (which was my initial concern...that the engine would hit first)

If you go a little more angle on left turns your center stand will drag and then a small part of the lower edge of the plastic fairing will drag, no problems ´til there.

Right side is a little more "clean" for leaning.

Humberto

I am okay with the pegs down...they are sprung so they give. The centerstand dragging could lift the rear off the ground....not into that.

You start to think the darn thing is defying the laws of physics! I guess my only apprehension comes from being in a good horizon warp and finding pavement paint or gravel or something in my line. eek.gif

Maybe after my Cornering workshop I'll be a bit more confident. crazy.gif

I understand that completely. I will rarely get to good lean angles on a road I am unfamiliar with. I always ride them once or tiwce to get an idea of the surfaces, curve radii and normal amount of traffic before I have fun.

Once the road is deemed safe though, the RT handles EXTREMELY well. The cornering workshop will help a lot too, especially with things like entry speed and throttle control.

Archived