IGNORED

Baehr Intercom hookup to 12RT Radio

Illini

Anyone have a Baehr intercom system wired into their stock BMW Radio/CD player? I'm looking at the UltimaXL and there is all talk of plug and play for the RT1150 but not a word about tapping into the 1200RT Radio. And where would one find audio out on the radio? I've emailed Baehr and they have installed it on the 1200RT but not on a stock radio.

they have installed an aftermarket radio with easy access to an audio out jack.

I've read the thread about installing an aux. plug (made for BMW cars) but don't know which of the 10 wires in that plug is audio out? Anyone know? TIA

The Aux mod to the 1200 radio is only "aux in" and does not have an "output". My guess is that you will need to tap into the speaker wires and run to your system just like they do for Autocom. If you do, I'd recommend you use something like the Autocom "part 67" which also provides a switch so you can switch between bike speakers vs headset speakers.

The 1200RT stock radio/CD has a plug in the back of the radio for speaker outputs, including the uninstalled rear speakers. Baehr uses the rear speaker outputs for their audio taps. After installing the Baehr unit you use the stock speaker fader to move the sound from the front speakers to the rear, now Baehr, speakers. Cool. Installation involves pulling the box containing the radio out, splitting it by removing four screws and then gaining access to the plug containing the wiring. Not real difficult but tedious. Make sure you get the Baehr instuctions in English, as the speaker wire connections are a one-time push-to-fit deal. The numbers on the radio plug that must match the speaker wire colors are microscopic to see and really easy to screw-up. I pulled my gas tank inorder to route wiring under the tank, to facilitate maintenance by service techs.

Ditto what Eureka said. Most folks have mounted their Baehr unit in the tail cone and run all the cables and wires from the back to the front of the bike. I wound up taping all the cables and wires along the high sides of the tank with black duct tape. It looks like crap with the t-ware off and needs to be removed when certain maintenance is done on the bike. Therefore, I may re-route the wires under the tank when the tank has to come off for fuel filter change. One thing you want to do for sure though is to route your cables and wires as far away from the bike's ignition source as possible (to minimize ignition noise in your Baehr sound output).

Just got off the phone with Caryl from Baehr's distributor in the US and ordered the radio cable. He said that soon there will be a devise made for the Baehr intercom product line that will enable bluetooth links to our cell phones. I asked about a cable for a Motorola Razor cell phone and this is when he updated me on this soon to be released upgrade. He said he's seen it, and used it and it is a great devise but the Baehr R & D man took it back to Germany and won't share with US yet! Stay tuned

I have the Ultimate XL on my R12RT.. You use the R1150RT lead from Baher and it plugs right into the radio.. Mounted the intercom unit on the right side, under the side panel (in front of the right saddle bag). Basicaly plug and play.

Craig

Archived