IGNORED

Saddle Bag Latch Broke-Wife knocks bike over!

Bill in Vermont

Bill in Vermont

A couple of days ago I came back from somewhere in the car, and noticed the bike was on its center stand and at an odd angle. The right saddlebag was on the porch. I rushed into the house and yelled "What happened to the bike?" My wife sheepishly said she was backing into the parking area and accidentally knocked it over! I ran outside and took the cover off to examine it. There was a small pice of the mirror housing on the right broken off, but no other damage visible. The saddlebag had the moveable latching piece broken in two. After I calmed down (I am glad I wasn't there when it happened)I think I will simply crazy glue the mirror piece back on, and replace the latch. The dealer thought it is "only" $180 for the latching mechanism- the piece alone can't be replaced. Anyone else have to replace the latch, and have other challenges with spousal damage to bikes?

I've had custom repairs done on my bags before...

I'm not quite sure I know exactly what you mean by the latching mechanism.

Can you take a picture of it?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dang! But kudos to your wife for the ability to pu a fallen bike! grin.gif

I thought that the orange latch, if that's what you are referring to, was simply an indicator and didn't actually do anything. The inner handle closes the catch on the inside of the bag and the outer handle affixes the bag to the bike, by means of the 2 latches between the bike and the bag. So unless the orange tab actually keeps the outer handle closed, get it to where you can latch both handles and keep on riding. smile.gif

If it does provide a safety catch for the outer handle, I'd see if you could whittle a piece of plastic or aluminum, even with a hacksaw and a file, and dismantle the lock. For the headache of $180 it'd be worth a try.

Good Luck!

ShovelStrokeEd

You don't need a spouse to knock your bike over. I hit my Guzzi with my ML 320 a year or so ago. The Guzzi, immediatly declared a vendetta and threw it self at the Mercedes, causing a $1200 scratch down the front fender. It then, decicded to rest on its side with a cylinder behind the rear wheel to keep me from backing up to rectify the situation. I think it learned a few new words that day.

Robert at Santa Cruz County BMW 800-610-4139 was able to find a repair kit for me that was considerably less expensive than the entire lock assembly was. Forsake the BMW rivet kit and lower the price even more.

Bill in Vermont

I should have been more specific. It is not the orange tab that come out when you turn the key. When you push down the main handle that is rounded (not the thin one that locks the bag shut), there is a inch or so wide tab that rises to lock onto the frame mount. The bag is not secure without this feature, and no one would ride with it that way- not even to take it to a dealer since one bounce could cause the bag to detach. The part looks cast since the fracture shows dull metal. Bill

Bart Anderson

I had the same problem. Watch eBay for a really beat up bag that will go for cheap, and use the mechanism from it. I got one really cheap (lid cracked, no key).

As Reddog says, it's an easy swap...including moving your existing lock cylinder so your current key still works.

wayneleslie

Bill, I feel your pain. I broke the same piece off both of my bags in a recent slow speed slide out. I too have only been able to find the entire unit for $196.00. Seems as though BMW doesn't want us to repair them. This seems to be a weak link with the system cases and by all rights should be replacable.

Good luck. I'll keep watching to see how you come out.

I have a couple of bags on the flea market for sale. The top tabs that fit into the rails on the bike are broken. The rest of the bags are in good shape.

You could have your repairs and have a spare for the price 1/2 the price of a new one!

Rob Lessen

Arma KS

Archived