IGNORED

Rubber grommet thingy filler

Rougarou

So, this morning on my ride in, I had to stop and fill up.  During the fill up, I notice that the rubber grommet thingy fell into the tank from the filler neck........should I be concerned?  Or should I pull the fuel pump to fish it out?

Corazon de Pollo

It won't hurt the fuel pump (that's what the strainer is there for) but... picture? My memory is not what it used to be but I don't remember that part on my old Hexhead.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:02 PM, Living the Dream said:

So, this morning on my ride in, I had to stop and fill up.  During the fill up, I notice that the rubber grommet thingy fell into the tank from the filler neck........should I be concerned?  Or should I pull the fuel pump to fish it out?

Afternoon Living the Dream

Not sure what rubber grommet that you are referring to, the center sealing gasket ring on the fuel cap is too large to fit through the filler hole unless you accidently pushed it through with the filler nozzle. (this one is fuel resistant so shouldn't  cause any harm in the fuel tank)

About the only other one that comes to mind is little rubber sealing gasket around the filler cap key lock (this one will fit through the filler opening), this one is probably not fuel resistant so eventually the fuel/alcohol inside the fuel tank will dissolve it (or turn it gummy anyhow). If it just slowly dissolves then will probably flush through but if it gets gummy then it could stick to & foul the fuel strip (not likely but possible anyhow).  

Next time that you have the fuel tank removed  for some reason you might dig that rubber part out of the tank. 

Thanks D.R.

I think it's the filler tube gasket.  It's the rubber that you see as you look down the tube whilst filling the tank, thats the one that fell through

image.png.c208f7c4a097eb9598da3c6cafb6f960.png

14 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

Thanks D.R.

I think it's the filler tube gasket.  It's the rubber that you see as you look down the tube whilst filling the tank, thats the one that fell through

image.png.c208f7c4a097eb9598da3c6cafb6f960.png

Afternoon Living the Dream

Are you sure? I can't see how you could even see that gasket let alone see it go into the tank. Not to mention how it could even come out of position  without loosening the filler neck screws.

Any possibility that there was something (rubber like looking) that was stuck in the filler neck off  the fuel nozzle from a previous tank fill. (this seems more logical)

About two inches down there was a rubber gasket it’s no longer there (you can see the shiny silver where it previously was located). Not sure if the parts diagram I posted was the correct one.

image.jpg

53 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

About two inches down there was a rubber gasket it’s no longer there (you can see the shiny silver where it previously was located). Not sure if the parts diagram I posted was the correct one.

Evening  Living the Dream

OK, you have the early 1200RT filler neck, I was thinking that you had the later plastic filler neck. 

The piece that is missing is a fuel fill limiter (I think BMW called it a spacer?), I can't remember if it was plastic or hard rubber (fairly large though)

At least it's fuel resistant so it shouldn't hurt anything inside the tank. 

A lot of early 1200RT/GS riders removed those darn things as they didn't allow smooth air flow out of the tank while filling so fuel could spit out when using  a fast fill rate  pump nozzle.

x1EPX8O.jpg

14 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  Living the Dream

OK, you have the early 1200RT filler neck, I was thinking that you had the later plastic filler neck. 

The piece that is missing is a fuel fill limiter (I think BMW called it a spacer?), I can't remember if it was plastic or hard rubber (fairly large though)

At least it's fuel resistant so it shouldn't hurt anything inside the tank. 

A lot of early 1200RT/GS riders removed those darn things as they didn't allow smooth air flow out of the tank while filling so fuel could spit out when using  a fast fill rate  pump nozzle.

x1EPX8O.jpg

Thanks much, I think it was rubber as I'd notice from time to time when putting the nozzle in that it was easily moved/misshaped/bent ,....shoulda pulled it out then.

Corazon de Pollo
On 11/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, Living the Dream said:

image.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I've heard of this "modification" but I had never seen it in the flesh. Makes all sense now.