IGNORED

Fill'er Up

Rusty1945

Embarrassing question. Is there a trick to knowing when the gas tank is full on my R12RT? The filler neck goes down so far into the tank and is such a tight fit around the hose nozzle, I can't tell what's happening in there. I'm afraid I'll overfill the tank and have a gas geiser on my hands. Or should I just trust the auto shut-off on the pump?

I did many searches and couldn't come up with an answer.

Rusty

(former cruiser guy - could easily see into the tank)

I have heard of some pulling the rubber insert, and they claim success with that.

Here is what I do:

I put the nozzle through the rubber insert, then fill until the pump shuts off...no splashing yet. grin.gif

Then, I retract the nozzle a bit, and do a slow fill until I can see the gas is up to the rubber insert. That's about it.

Works so far.

I did remove the rubber gasket as it lets me put another 1/2 gal or so in the tank, increasing my range. I carry mechanic's latex gloves with me as, invariably, fuel sprays up a little because I'm holding back the collar on the fuel dispenser. Then I'm stuck trying to wash it off so my gloves don't stink. Now I can get fuel right to the bottom of the opening no problem.

BTW, to remove the gasket, just stick your finger in, hook onto the bottom of it and pull. Pops right out.

That sounds interesting. I don't see how a removing a gasket will allow you to add 1/2 gallon more gas. What is the purpose of the gasket? What is the downside of removing it?

I removed the rubber gasket on my bike as well. when filling I let the pump shut off and then retract the collar on the handle as well and fill it to the rim where the rubber gasket used to be. Works every time.

Purpose: it gives a better seal around the fuel nozzle, preventing vapor emmissions(sp?) and keeps people like me from filling up all the way to the top. grin.gif

It sits down into the tank so the shutoff is below the bottom the fuel filler neck. Removing it gives you that air space to fill with dinosaur remains.

Downside: confused.gif A mini Exxon Valdez??? None other that I can think of.

Downside: A mini Exxon Valdez??? None other that I can think of.

Actually you would have to fill it to over flowing to get a spill. It is possible to "pack' a tank and cause fuel to flow into the evap canister which can then cause a rich condition when the canister is purged. All this said I ran my R12GS and now my R12RT with the rubber piece removed with no problems.

I just fill until the autoshutoff kicks in. It still does at least 200 miles. Everyone I ride with has to stop before then anyway.

I removed the rubber gasket on my bike as well. when filling I let the pump shut off and then retract the collar on the handle as well and fill it to the rim where the rubber gasket used to be. Works every time.

Thanks for all the input everyone; looks like I'll be going rubber gasket fishing tonight after work!

Rusty

are you concerned about warranty issues on any parts affected by said removal?

It goes back in as easy as it comes out. "Why, of course, I've never removed that? Huh, how would you go about that?" wink.gif

Besides, what would break?

are you concerned about warranty issues on any parts affected by said removal?

It goes back in as easy as it comes out. "Why, of course, I've never removed that? Huh, how would you go about that?" wink.gif

Besides, what would break?

Here's a link to a previous discussion on this very topic. I think the main concern is filling the overflow canister. I think FIRST_BEEMER sums it up nicely in his last post in that thread.

Thanks for all the input everyone; looks like I'll be going rubber gasket fishing tonight after work!

Rusty

This is the ticket. Without the insert, you can easily see down into the tank and fill just to the bottom of the recessed metal collar. I'm happy.

Rusty

(doesn't take much to make me happy)

I do exactly what bmwscoot does. Works for me. By the way, the most I've been able to get in the tank even when it's dead empty and the display says "Range - - -" is 5.9 gallons. Unless the tank doesn't really hold 7.1 gallons, it means the display is pessimistic.

(Someone will probably say that's the reserve part of the tank.)

Archived