IGNORED

Magura Hymec Hydraulic Clutch Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Magura Hymec Hydraulic Clutch Review

The WR250R is known to be a damn good bike and a “jack of all trades.” Given its price point, long service intervals, and power-to-weight ratio, to name a few assets, it still isn’t without flaw. One of the known imperfections is the heavy clutch lever pull which is especially problematic when doing tight, technical trails that require frequent clutch feathering.

After taking a class in riding tight technical trails, I realized the relevance and importance of good clutch manipulation. I also found that my left hand was getting a workout with the WRR’s heavy clutch pull and that I needed to take a break. It was during this break that I tried my buddy’s bike with a hydraulic clutch installed. Can I say “like butta”? What a difference! This inspired me to acquire the German-made Magura brand and their Hymec Hydraulic Clutch.

Installation was straight forward. The key was to allow 4–6 cm of free play at the attachment point on top of the engine case so that the self-adjusting clutch could adjust for heat, expansion/contraction, and clutch plate wear. Their claim of a 25% reduction in clutch pull feels about right. It’s also a very smooth operation. And an added bonus is that you can adjust the lever position to compensate for bigger or smaller hands.

As far as maintenance, Greg Reich, sales manager at Magura North America claims none are needed. Part of this is due to the properties of mineral oil (the hydraulic fluid used in the system). It isn’t hydrophilic, meaning the oil doesn’t draw moisture from the air, thus no need to drain and refill. Indeed, there isn’t a wire cable that will stretch and wear over time, nor does it ever need lubing.

This upgrade alone allows me to spend more time without left hand muscle fatigue while riding the technical stuff, thus inspiring me to continue the training exercises. So, if you want to reduce maintenance on your bike while lightening/smoothing the clutch lever pull, I’d recommend this system.

Magura makes hydraulic clutch cables for a wide variety of bikes, so be sure you confirm your bike make, model and year before ordering.

Magura Hydralic Clutch Review

MSRP: $299.99

Magura.com

PROS:

• Self-adjusting
  • Lighter than stock clutch pull
  • Maintenance free
  • Clutch lever adjustability

CONS:

• Wish I’d known about them sooner!

Ai0bpZZZXUg

View the full article