IGNORED

First trip on an '05 RT1200RT

sach7581

I bought this non-running '05 Rt1200RT about a month ago.  Got it running without a problem and have been setting it up for me.  I got it to the point that I wanted to make a trip from the Winston-Salem area to visit family in Fort Myers, FL.  Left home  34 degree weather.  No problems on the way down .  On the way back, the back tire went flat.  Was lucky enough to roll into the parking lot of an auto parts store.  Turned out the valve stem broke.  I bought a large C clamp and pulled the tire to the side and replaced the valve.  The whole ordeal only took about thirty minutes.  Spent the night with my nephew near Orlando.  I had to be home early so someone could look at my FJR1300 I have for sale so I was on the road before 4:00AM.  Before I got to Jacksonville I found myself staring at an oncoming car in my lane that was traveling in the wrong direction on the interstate!  I missed him.  

My fuel mileage was ok going down at 44-45MPH at 80+ MPH.  On the way back I had a tank that was only 33mpg.  My speed was a little slower but there was a 10 mph headwind.  Still seems low to me.  So, what did I think of the old RT after a 1,500 mile weekend?  Very easy to get use to.  I was comfortable the whole time.  I loved the cruise control and greater range which was a big reason for me buying it.  I think I'll keep it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have to assume you did not have the stock BMW seat. :19:

I have a 2005 RT and found the first thing it needed was a Russell Day Long.  Ever since then the bike (other than repairs) has been wonderful to ride.  I think you'll really like it and congratulations.

I like how you threw that "car driving on the wrong side of the road, straight at me" right in the middle of your trip details, as though it 'twernt nothing.  Wow.  Glad you did not get hit.  Congrats on that and your new-to-you bike.  

Cheers,

11 hours ago, Sonor said:

I have to assume you did not have the stock BMW seat. 

Correct.  It came with a lower Sargent seat.  I didn't like the smaller size of the lowered seat so I bought a standard height Sargent seat.  I like the standard height Sargent seat as well as the Russel Day Long on my FJR.

2 hours ago, Rider1260 said:

I am prob waiting till next year for the first big trip sadly 

It's a little tougher to do in Illinois but can be done with the right gear or special planning like leaving at noon and riding to dark.  Also, if you can travel with short notice, there are normally a few days every month when the temperature goes above normal.  I went from St. Lois to Cincinnati over New years one year.  Get prepared and be ready.  Even if you have a miserable time it will turn into good memories in the following years.

Great ride tale!  Good to read that you avoided the asssss going the wrong direction... :facepalm:  what a f$#k 

Also, I like reading your resourcefulness in regards to the tire repair. :thumbsup: