IGNORED

S1000 XR or Multistrada 1200 S

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress

I posted this on the BMWST Facebook group, and felt the urge to post it here. Hey, I'm asking for anyone's opinion - what could go wrong?

--------------

I’d like to ask any Ducati riders for some help. My new knee is making it clear that I need to move away from bikes with low bars and high pegs. Yesterday I test rode two bikes, a 2016 S1000 XR and a 2017 Ducati Multistrada S. The BMW is used with 34K, a recent 36K service and new tires. The Ducati is brand new, and nicely discounted.

The XR was handsdown the bike I liked better, the suspension was comparable to a new set of Ohlins, the seat comfortable, and the engine made me grin. The bike, me, and my knee, all got along well.

The Multistrada’s suspension was not adjusted for my weight and didn’t work well. The engine was rough and hard to keep in its happy RPM place. It needs a seat. This was the first time I’ve rode a Ducati, and I’m left with the feeling that I missed something. I know the suspension is more adjustable, and probably better, than the BMW’s. I know the seat is adjustable and that raising it would have helped. But what about the engine? My test ride was on city streets and I don’t think I got past 3rd gear. Does the engine smooth out at freeway speeds?

Until recently my plan has been to buy a R1200 RS and get the vanity plate “LASTONE”. I doubt I would get that plate for the XR as it is so different than all the K bikes (and way back there the R90S) I’ve owned. But I think I could do that for the Multistrada. If only I knew more...

I bought my 900ss back in 94 and to this day it's the only Ducati I've ever ridden. :dontknow: And, that's absolutely useless information for you. :grin:

Sounds like you want the BMW and the Ducati dealer didn't try very hard to sell you a motorcycle. The Ducati should be a very smooth running V-Twin (L-Twin) with the 90* layout.

Dennis Andress

I was thinking the same thing...  Moreso now that you've made me think of it.

It was a BMW and Ducati dealer. The salesman and I switched bikes when we turned around to go back. I do want the BMW. But I've always wondered about the Multistrada and don't like walking away thinking it's a dud.

Edited by Dennis Andress

Sounds like you need to go back for another ride. Was this at South Sound? If you do go back, let me know when and I’ll ride up and tell you which bike you look cooler on ;)

josh

I don't know if it applies to the current model, but I seem to recall seeing a few posts in years past from former Multistrada owners who basically said "loved the bike, hated the frequent trips to the dealership for repairs."

Dennis Andress

Thanks Josh! Yes, it was South Sound (they are under new ownership now).  I've settled on the S1000 XR. There was such a dramatic difference between the two bikes that I'm sure the Multistrada wasn't at it's best.

Bill, I didn't like the bike but am still intrigued by maintaining one.

pedro cerveza

Where do you live? I loved riding the multi as a rental someplace cool. I live it in Florida and it doesn't do as well at heat management as the XR. Not that the XR is great at it but it is much better than the Duc.