IGNORED

windshield lower support arm replacement

Dann

I've posted this on other forums also.

Last Sunday I hit a major pot hole (I though I dented my front rim)

I realized this morning that one of the lower support arms of my windshield is broken.
I'm looking for a replacement but Beemer Boneyard is out of stock on this item

Anybody knows where I can get some stainless steel ones?

That's exactly what I did today since I have all the pieces.

The supporting part itself is not broken, It broke at the top where the hole for inserting the pin is

I'll let it cure and see how it holds.

It might work, JB weld is pretty strong stuff

I replaced my ‘09 RT upper arms and got them here. I understand you need lowers. I called the tel. number and the company is still operating. They may be able to help you or direct you to someone that can if the JB weld doesn’t hold. I know it’s probably a dead end, but hey, who knows? If nothing else you can just buy new stock lowers. Good luck. 

E68E3975-AB06-4B40-B193-353A8F943E9E.jpeg

The problem is that you cannot buy the lower arm support from BMW. Only the upper ones have a part number.

If you want the lower ones , you have to buy the whole assembly.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, Dann said:

The problem is that you cannot buy the lower arm support from BMW. Only the upper ones have a part number.

If you want the lower ones , you have to buy the whole assembly.

Wow, German marketing at its finest. Have you checked with Bob’s BMW?  They are most helpful and used to part out crashed scoots. 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, Rinkydink said:

Wow, German marketing at its finest. Have you checked with Bob’s BMW?  They are most helpful and used to part out crashed scoots. 

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to fix it with JB Weld.

If this doesn't work I'll check with Bob's BMW

Update:

The JB weld fix didn't work

The piece broke again the first time I move the shield.

I taped it in place and it should hold fine, but I cannot move the shield anymore until I find a replacement piece.

I hope Beemer Boneyard will eventually have some more.

I don't want to replace them with the OEM ones since they'll  break again.

Hey Dann, you wouldn't have a photo of the broken arm by any chance? I found someone making upper arms from stainless steel (flat bar plus pipe) while researching possible replacement. I never looked at those bottom brackets with replacement in mind when I swapped the top ones on my bike...

23 hours ago, Dann said:

I don't want to replace them with the OEM ones since they'll  break again.

I respect your reluctance to use OEM  again but my ‘09 went 9 years without any problems whatsoever. I had a huge Cee Bailey windshield from day one (69k miles) with the metal upper replacement arms only. I haven’t priced the Beemer Boneyard replacements vs what you “might” get the stand alone OEMs from Bob’s BMW though.  Good luck in your search. 

4 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I respect your reluctance to use OEM  again but my ‘09 went 9 years without any problems whatsoever. I had a huge Cee Bailey windshield from day one (69k miles) with the metal upper replacement arms only. I haven’t priced the Beemer Boneyard replacements vs what you “might” get the stand alone OEMs from Bob’s BMW though.  Good luck in your search. 

My experience with only the upper arm replacement  was the same as yours for the past seven years until I hit that pot hole.

It's the top part where the pivot pin is inserted that broke.

Winter is coming and there's one month max of riding left in my area. (Bikes cannot be on the road between Dec 1rst and March 15 in QC because the law requires that all vehicle be equipped with winter tires between those dates.)

I'll have the whole winter to think about it.

5 hours ago, Hati said:

Hey Dann, you wouldn't have a photo of the broken arm by any chance? I found someone making upper arms from stainless steel (flat bar plus pipe) while researching possible replacement. I never looked at those bottom brackets with replacement in mind when I swapped the top ones on my bike...

No, but if you go on the Beemer Boneyard site there's a picture of the ones they sell.

Ok, I should have thought about looking at the boneyard site myself. Looks to be made of flat bar and two pipe sizes. so it can be made up with a little machining. Have you got access to a machine shop? To make costs more reasonable, you get two sets made up, I would pick up half the cost and pay for the postage to Oz. If you are interested...

Pic from Beemer boneyard:

new-aftermarket-machined-aluminum-r1200r

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bad news

I went to a machine shop to have the piece made.

Alu 7075 T5 : $240 CDN Each + TX ($275)

Inox 304: $260 CDN Each +TX ($300)

Ouch

I hope Beemer Boneyard or Motoworks will get some more before spring

I will also look for a used complete support

The Rocketman

Try e-mailing these guys in the UK. They claim to have a lower arm replacement (P/N FAA81430). Its pretty inexpensive, and shipping is usually inexpensive & quick from the UK. They show the uppers, and reference a part number for the lowers, but I can't find a listing for the lowers. Good luck!

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=FAA81430

"Please note, although the smaller, lower cast alloy arms are not available separately from BMW, we have now had them made for us, see FAA81430 .

Please see FAA81430 for the LOWER replacement adjuster arm,  which is not handed."

The Rocketman

A buddy of mine in the Uk called them but they’re closed til Monday. When I hear from him as to price and availability I’ll let you know.

2 hours ago, The Rocketman said:

A buddy of mine in the Uk called them but they’re closed til Monday. When I hear from him as to price and availability I’ll let you know.

Don't bother, I did check with Motoworks uk.

I actually tried to order a set.

They're out of stock like Beemer Boneyard .

Just now, The Rocketman said:

Sorry. I tried. Maybe they get them from the same place BBY gets them

Thanks anyway

No, they don't look the same

Motoworks & BBY are the only two places I could find that carries them.

The Rocketman

My buddy in the UK says "

Motorworks does not have this part and their supplier is no longer making it .

If you need the bit let me know but it will be a complete used unit £90 + postage 

Cheers"

8 hours ago, The Rocketman said:

My buddy in the UK says "

Motorworks does not have this part and their supplier is no longer making it .

If you need the bit let me know but it will be a complete used unit £90 + postage 

Cheers"

I've dealt with Motorworks before. Great people

The complete unit is not marked as available on their web site (There is no "Add to basket" button) but I sent them an email about it.

At that price I have no issue getting the whole unit. (this will also guarantee that it will never break again since I will have spare parts... :grin: )

The issue is always the shipping cost, especially when they ship through a carrier like UPS or FedEX who have all kinds of hidden fees on top of their shipping cost.

I've also sent inquiries to two MC scrap yards that I found in my area. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but I would still have preferred to upgrade them to make sure this would not happen again.

Although the OEM ones lasted 12 yrs  without any issues. Chances are that I will probably upgrade to a newer bike before they break again.

• 3 weeks later...