IGNORED

Moto Power Puck - Extra Connector?

profbodryak

Hi everyone,

Been deciding on a charging solution for my phone when I use it for navigation. I currently have a pixel 3 capable of wireless charging. On some other forum there was a reference to an extra accessory plug somewhere in the front around the fork area. The idea I have is to have it connected in such a way so that power is disabled with ignition off. Power puck would be a perfect solution so that I can forget about that socket adapter and a USB cord altogether.

Does anyone know what connectors are available that will make this possible? Power puck off with ignition off is a must. The bike is a 2015 R1200RT pre-wired for navigation and with a stereo system (in case it limits my connector choices in any way). I am not planning on connecting any other accessories (other than my Gerbing set that I will wire directly to the battery).

Thank you as always!

I may reconsider my choice (this is listed in reference to keyless start on a manufacturer's website). I would still love to hear your comments about the extra connectors!

"Technical Note

In the event that:

• A) MotoPowerPuck is wired into a constant (non-switched) connection
  • B) The operator’s vehicle is equipped with keyless ignition
  • C) The operator has mounted the MotoPowerPuck within 10 cm of the keyless receiver
  • D) The operator is charging a phone

There is a possibility that the magnetic field created by the MotoPowerPuck may interfere with the operator’s ability to start the vehicle.  We know this is a pretty specific set of circumstances but it could happen, so we thought you needed to know about it.  In order to start your motorcycle/snow machine/etc, you may have to wait until after you start up before putting your phone on the charger.  We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause (and the ~10 seconds of lost charging!).  As an aside, you may also experience the same issue with keyless ignition when parked near cell phone towers or AM/FM transmitters (without the intervention of a MotoPowerPuck)."

There is lengthy thread on ADV by the creator of motopowerpuck with lots of of comments by users. I’m sure there are people who have used it with keyless. Maybe you could ask there?

Also the newest version comes with an in-line switch, so you could simply switch it off to avoid this during startup. 

• 1 month later...