IGNORED

Another Fuel Gauge Question

sach7581

So my fuel gauge didn't work when I bought my '05 RT.  It reads full all the time.  I've only filled it up once and have about 200 miles on this tank.  Do I need to bite the bullet and buy the sensor strip or is there hope for the old strip?  I see the "zapper" method only works on gauges that read empty.  A little more background:  When I bought the bike it hadn't run in three years.  The gauge read full but I didn't do a visual check.  I hot wired the fuel pump to get it running, actually backwards first then forward.  During this time, the fuel gauge was unplugged.  Unplugged, it showed empty.  Plugged it in and it read full.  Road 150 miles and still showed full.  Looked in the tank and guessed it to be less than 1/2 full.  

9 hours ago, sach7581 said:

So my fuel gauge didn't work when I bought my '05 RT.  It reads full all the time.  I've only filled it up once and have about 200 miles on this tank.  Do I need to bite the bullet and buy the sensor strip or is there hope for the old strip?  I see the "zapper" method only works on gauges that read empty.  A little more background:  When I bought the bike it hadn't run in three years.  The gauge read full but I didn't do a visual check.  I hot wired the fuel pump to get it running, actually backwards first then forward.  During this time, the fuel gauge was unplugged.  Unplugged, it showed empty.  Plugged it in and it read full.  Road 150 miles and still showed full.  Looked in the tank and guessed it to be less than 1/2 full.  

Morning  sach7581

I presume that your '05 RT is a 1200 hexhead RT?

If so then a VERY GOOD chance that the fuel strip has failed. 

Even if you install a new one it will have to be calibrated to read correctly.

In one way your are lucky with it stuck on reading full as that keeps that darn yellow low-fuel light off.

BMW offered an extended warranty on the 1200RT fuel strips but more than likely your 2005 is well out of the extended warranty period. (12 years from date of first retail sale)

A lot of 1200RT riders just use one of the trip sets for fuel range then fill the tank based on miles traveled.

On my personal 1200RT it has gone through so many fuel strips that I never really trust the fuel gauge even when it is working so I use 280 miles for range when traveling at higher speeds (250 for sustained very high speeds)  & 300 miles for more sedate riding).   

• 1 year later...
Dennis Pink

Fuel Strip Issue - 2007 R1200RT -  Last fall the fuel strip died.  On Oct. 31 I had a new one installed by my dealer to the tune of $448.43.  It never read correctly from day one.  I have been told that a new fuel strip AND labor would be covered under BMW's 2 year warranty.  I have also been told only the fuel strip is covered -not- the labor.   My dealer is still "looking into it."  Anyone have good insight?  Thank you!

DP 

8 hours ago, Dennis Pink said:

Fuel Strip Issue - 2007 R1200RT -  Last fall the fuel strip died.  On Oct. 31 I had a new one installed by my dealer to the tune of $448.43.  It never read correctly from day one.  I have been told that a new fuel strip AND labor would be covered under BMW's 2 year warranty.  I have also been told only the fuel strip is covered -not- the labor.   My dealer is still "looking into it."  Anyone have good insight?  Thank you!

DP 

Morning Dennis

If you paid for the repair then both parts & labor should be covered for 2 years. (call BMW customer help line to get the details).

If you didn't pay for the repair out of your own pocket then usually the warranty on the parts only goes to end of original motorcycle warranty period. How this works on a recall item I have no idea.     

Dennis Pink

What has me confused is I have called the BMW customer help line twice and talked to two different guys.  One said as long as the part was purchased and the repair done at an authorized dealer, the entire cost is covered for 2 years.  My dealership wasn't sure, so I called customer service a second time and talked to someone else.  He confirmed a dealer must handle the part and labor, but that BMW's 2 year parts warranty only covers the part -not- the labor costs.   Now I wish I had taken careful notes about who I talked to, their phone extension, date/time of call, exactly what they said......

For most BMW parts https://www.socalbmwmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bmw-motorrad-parts-warranty-statement.pdf  and https://www.bobsbmw.com/service/warranty/ both indicate that labor is included if the part was installed by an authorized BMW dealer. 

But I can find nothing specifically dealing with parts replaced under warranty.  Seems like a 2 year part should be good for two years regardless, but that's just me.

Dennis Pink

Thank you lkraus!   I've printed off the warranty info and will take it to my dealer.    

Edited by Dennis Pink
misspelled word
18 hours ago, lkraus said:

For most BMW parts https://www.socalbmwmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bmw-motorrad-parts-warranty-statement.pdf  and https://www.bobsbmw.com/service/warranty/ both indicate that labor is included if the part was installed by an authorized BMW dealer. 

But I can find nothing specifically dealing with parts replaced under warranty.  Seems like a 2 year part should be good for two years regardless, but that's just me.

Morning Larry

This is from the BMW auto side but I remember reading about the same for the motorcycle side.

Genuine Original (OEM) BMW Parts include BMW's 2 year/unlimited warranty valid throughout the US BMW dealership network.  Just hold onto your official BMW parts invoice we include with your shipment, or Contact Us if you ever need a copy.  If a part ever fails or is defective within the 2 years from date of purchase, simply visit your local BMW dealership with the official invoice.  A BMW technician must diagnose and confirm the part failed/defective on an open repair order through their BMW Service department for warranty coverage.  If confirmed failed/defective, BMW will replace the part + cost of labor at no charge.

Important warranty information:

• The BMW parts warranty is only valid within the US.  Any parts taken outside the US are not covered.
  • A BMW part replaced under warranty includes the remainder of the original part's warranty only.  
  • Warranty coverage does not apply to parts incorrectly installed or retrofitted onto vehicles in which they do not fit.
  • BMW parts that are defective or fail within the warranty period can not be returned.  They must be replaced by following the BMW Parts Warranty procedure through your local BMW dealership's Service department.
  • Does not apply to not normal wear and tear.
  • Special tools carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase, and is an exchange program - a defective part for a new part.
Dennis Pink

The service manager finally realized the replacement strip was covered under BMW's 2 year parts and labor warranty  -not-  the "12 year" warranty.  Now I have a new fuel strip, we'll see how long this one lasts.   Dirtrider and Larry, thank you for your guidance!

DP