IGNORED

'99 RT Right Heated Handgrip Replacement.

PhotoBiker

Hey All,

I'm in the process of putting my bike back together (not that is was completely ripped apart). I decided to fix a few nagging problems today. In the process I ripped off my Right Heated Handgrip (Throttle) which was inop anyway.

I've done some quick searches on the board here and it looks like there is a complete kit available, however, all I need is just the Right Handgrip (and cable??).

Is this possible? Or am I stuck with replacing both grips?

-=SkyHawke=-

Doh!

Should have looked at the parts catalog first!!

For some reason I thought the Heated grips were only available in pairs and listed for $400. I just checked my dealer's online catalog and I can get just the Right Hand Heated Handgrip Assy for $72. (BMW PartNum: 61312315222). Found it under the "Heated Handle/Mounting Parts" breakout in the "Steering" section. (Note: That last sentence was more for me as a reminder for tomorrow when I go order this thing. . .)

(I attached a photo of what you DON'T want to see...)

673803-RightHeatedHandgrip.jpg.a0269c6ad56b6bebcbc60aa1218c106f.jpg

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
(I attached a photo of what you DON'T want to see...)
I don't suppose it's as simple as splicing those wires together?

If you only want the right side handgrip, you might try a guy from whom I've bought a bunch of items for my '97 RT. His website is "beemerboneyard.com", and Mike is very helpful and the prices have always been quite fair. He also ships items promptly. I hope this helps.

Thanks, it was too late for me anyway (local dealer getting one tomorrow for me). I saved the link though. Also, all his heated handgrips were "Sold".

This happened to me, and it fixed it by axially splitting the handgrip seam with a razor to access the broken wire. I resoldered it, then fixed the seam with some grey silicone bath tub calk. 50 year guarantee on the silicone, and it pretty well matches the drip color, while keeping the weather out. Works, and price is right. (~$4)

If I had it to do over again, I'd just radially split the rubber off the outer end of the grip, as that's where the wire broke, where it came out the the handlbar tube. Had I done it this way, removal of the grip from the bike would not have been needed.

I put the new handgrip in today, it was a breeze! Luckily the old wiring was still in place, I taped the new ends to the old ends and used it to pull the new wiring through the handlebar & the intricate mess up front.

Its been a few years since I've had a warm throttle hand. If I can finish my bike servicing this week I can put them to good use (dropping to the 30's at night/mornings)...

Archived