IGNORED

macOS Catalina issues with Garmin Nav devices DATA ACCESS

Boxflyer

Recently, (10/10/19) I upgraded my MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) to macOS Catalina 10.15

I was adapting to lots of slight differences in the operating system, but the one that caused me troubles was accessing my Garmin Nav VI in both Garmin Express and Garmin BaseCamp.

When apps/devices that could be considered a security risk by allowing that app/device to have access to your computers files and folders is accessed for the first time, the Catalina OS displays a small Pop-up box with a question of whether or not you want to allow that app/device to have access to your computer files.

I see the general philosophy Apple has blended into this new version of the OS to protect our privacy and security, but I fell victim to the nice sense of security and was unaware of how this would affect my interface with one of my most used devices...namely my BMW Nav VI.

I spent a full day going thru all kinds of WWW derived "fixes" trying to gain control of my GPS, and didn't find an answer that worked until I actually drilled down deep enough on Garmin's website to find the exact solution I needed.

My issue was that I could see both the storage devices of my Nav VI, internal memory and microSD card in the Mac Finder, but could not get the device to be recognized by either Garmin Express or BaseCamp to update the Nav or transfer routes to my device.

By allowing access for BOTH Garmin BaseCamp and Garmin Express in your Security/Privacy Settings, I now have normal access to my GPS to work as before.

Hope this saves someone some headaches!

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Lov8UjAnxR1pnz9EJ5kPb9&searchType=noProduct

• Like 3

Thanks for posting. Haven’t updated to Catalina as there are a number of other “issues” I’m anticipating as they’ve dropped comparability for a few bits of software I enjoy using. 

Thanks for that.  I am dreading the Catalina update, seeing as how I have non subscription Photoshop CS6.  Wish me luck on avoiding their $240/yr money siphon.

I really haven't had any of those issues that you have experienced.

My only problem with Catalina is that a GoPro editing program doesn't work any longer.

Thanks for that link.  And no thanks to Apple for making Mac OS more like Windows in its eternal security annoyances.  Does anybody remember the old "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ad where the PC kept asking for permission and the Mac guy didn't have to?

I think this thread should be moved to Bike Related Things, though.  There's nothing wethead-specific here.

2 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

Thanks for that link.  And no thanks to Apple for making Mac OS more like Windows in its eternal security annoyances.  Does anybody remember the old "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" add where the PC kept asking for permission and the Mac guy didn't have to?

I think this thread should be moved to Bike Related Things, though.  There's nothing wethead-specific here.

Move it to wherever you think will give it the most exposure to us users that really use this information.

1 minute ago, Boxflyer said:

Move it to wherever you think will give it the most exposure to us users that really use this information.

I put in a request to admin to do so.

I got both of my MAC updated to Catalina.  There are going to be devices that is not yet compatible with this new update.  My scaner Epson and one of my HP printer is also on the same boat.  My other HP officejet is ok.   They still don't have a software that is compatible with Catalina. I do recommend waiting a couple of months before you make the transition. Give them time to update. 

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn’t have any issue with my Mac-mini, Nav-V, basecamp and Catalina although I did have the same issues with my Epson scanner software and I have yet to try garmin exp.