IGNORED

Noisy gearbox

Little_Brit

Little_Brit

I'm the proud owner of an R850R which I bought 9 years ago. It has now covered 40,000 trouble free miles. my question is, how noisy does a gearbox have to get before remedial action is required. Mine functions perfectly, really smooth changes, no missed gears, just noisy!

I suppose what I really want is for someone to say "they all do that". I'm firmly in the school of opinion which says if it ain't broke don't fix it; however I want to undertake another Euro tour next year so if it needs fixing I still have time on my side.

Derek Brown

I'm the proud owner of an R850R which I bought 9 years ago. It has now covered 40,000 trouble free miles. my question is, how noisy does a gearbox have to get before remedial action is required. Mine functions perfectly, really smooth changes, no missed gears, just noisy!

I suppose what I really want is for someone to say "they all do that". I'm firmly in the school of opinion which says if it ain't broke don't fix it; however I want to undertake another Euro tour next year so if it needs fixing I still have time on my side.

Derek Brown

Welcome to the Board Derek.

The Getrag boxes, especially the earlier ones, are noisy. Both in clunky changes and whining gears. They are much improved - but not cured - by using full synthetic gear oil. The good news is they are pretty much bomb-proof and 40K miles is not a lot of miles for them.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Little_Brit

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Andy.

I'm letting some Moly-slip have a go for the moment but come service time I shall be looking for some synthetic gear oil. What erks me is that I have been religious about changing all the bikes lubricants and fluids every year (the cost is low and my labour is free!) and I still end up with an unhealthy sounding gearbox. Que sera...

Derek

ShovelStrokeEd

Derek, the old M97 transmission sounds like a dust bin full of rocks rolling down a cobbled road on the best of days. A good synthetic 75w140 gear oil will go a long way towards making it quieter and it may well even shift a bit better.

Pick your brand, they all will do the job.

If the transmission has suddenly become a lot louder, you might have some cause for concern as bearings and such do wear and the imput shaft support bearings are a particular source of trouble. If it has pretty much always done that, well, ride away and enjoy.

We will, of course, expect a ride report with lots of pictures. thumbsup.gif

Little_Brit

Thanks for the moral support.

I did a 2000 plus miles trip to Austria, with BMW UK, last year with the gearbox sounding just like this. I was two up with my good lady wife and a FULL complement of luggage!

Two daughters at university and events have conspired against a repeat continental trip this year but I am busily scheming for next year, hence the desire to sort a few issues out now if needs be.

My digital photography/computer skills are a little lacking at present but in the fulness of time something may develop...

Derek

R850r

Tmax

There are a variety of good synthetic lubes, but a recent lab test reported from Australia found Royal Purple to be the best of the lot.

I used Redline heavy geal oil in my RS, and the noise and clunky issues dissapeared instantly. The Oz report liked Royal Purple even better, so I'll go that way next time.

Archived