IGNORED

TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Grips Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

tech spec tank grips

If you are looking to improve body and bike control while sitting or standing on your adventure bike, as well as reducing vibration and improving comfort, the folks at TechSpec have you covered. TechSpec currently makes custom tank grips for over 250 motorcycles and is always adding new applications.

The Snake Skin tank grips are made of a .125-inch rubber material with an aggressive diamond-shaped tread which allows you to better grip the tank with your legs, enabling better bike control and taking pressure off your upper body. The custom pads installed easily while still maintaining a clean factory look, despite the all-black pad over the tri-color paint on my Africa Twin.

TechSpec uses a special adhesive that lets you remove the tank grips to reposition and reapply the pads without losing adhesion strength. If you want to take the pads off completely there is no sticky residue left behind. They recommend installing with the temperature above 70°F, so I did have to use a hair dryer to warm up the tank in the garage, adding a few minutes to the install time.

TechSpec SnakeSkin Tank Grips for AT

The first time I rode with the pads installed I definitely noticed an increase in control and comfort, especially when standing up off road, where I was able to grip the tank better without my legs sliding forward on the tank. When sitting, the increased grip in the knees also helps when braking and cornering, keeping you planted in the seat on twisty roads.

Visit their website to see if they have an application for your bike. You can also buy sheets of the grip pads and cut them to fit, for custom installations. TechSpec also makes custom pannier guards for some manufacturers.

TechSpec-USA.com

MSRP: $69.95 (for the Africa Twin)

PROS:

• Ease of installation and removability
  • Quick/inexpensive upgrade with notable improvement
  • Custom applications for most bikes

CONS:

• Only available in black
1XFi83V-_vg

View the full article

• Like 1

I have the TechSpec Snake Skins on my GSA tank, top and side cases.  They are fantastic - very easy to install and/or remove.   The tank pads definitely help while off road riding.  I really like the side and top case application that allows me to put things on top of them without them sliding off while stopped at gas stations, etc.  Helmet, gloves, eye glasses, cell phone, etc stay put.:thumbsup: