IGNORED

Earphones or earplugs??

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

My RT is equipped with AM/FM radio and XM. I would like advice on the best way to enjoy it with a full face helmet??

Thanks,

Stephen

Earplug speakers (earphones.) Only way to go.

Make sure that you get some that are truly noise-isolating, i.e. ones that have a real NRR (noise reduction) rating of at least 20-25, more is better.

No_Twilight

Count me in on earphones too. i bought the custom molded challengers at www.earplugco.com and they are the best motorcycling accessory I've very bought. Although rated at only 20-25 dba which is the same as a foam earplug, they keep out MUCH more noise. I can walk up to the bike listening to the MP3 player, put on my gear, get on the bike and ride 85mph and NOT have to turn up the volume because of wind noise.

Before that I had the J&M helmet speakers. They had to complete with the wind noise so they just added to the noise. I wore earplugs and if I turned up the music loud enough to hear it I felt it was too loud to be good form my ears...just too much noise competition.

Cheers,

Jerry

is it safe to ride while insulating yourself from your surroundings? I am concerned about missing the sound of a flat tire or a distant siren while jammin with the tunes.

Bob

is it safe to ride while insulating yourself from your surroundings? I am concerned about missing the sound of a flat tire or a distant siren while jammin with the tunes.

Bob

The Challenger ear plugs have a 26dbNRR,similar to many other earplugs. They will allow you to hear sound through the noise block, but it is the user responsibility to control the volume of the music. This obviously applies to any earphone worn under a helmet. The beauty part is that with good noise isolation, the music can be heard clearly at a relatively low volume setting.

JerryMather

Before you make your decision and go with EarInc. take a look at Sensaphonics . I've used EarInc.'s for three years and switched to Sensaphonics because the EarInc. ones will only last a few years if that before they fail completely.

I decided to buy a set of Shure earphones and have Sensaphonics make a pair of custom molded sleeves for them because I was tired of shelling out big dollars for something that I know will fail down the line and have to go and do this again.

They make sleeves for other types of ear phones also or you can buy their own one piece earphones like EarInc. but much better. They make one that's considered the best in the business but it's about $800.00.

These are the ones most professionals in the TV and Music industry use.

Trust me..........This company makes a very good product and the highend stuff is guaranteed for life, so says my audiologist.

No_Twilight

Bob

Your ears adapt to the sound levels they perceive. So if you make all the noises quieter, they become more sensitive. If you beat them up with wind noise, they become less sensitive. So when I first put the Challengers in everything sounded "different". The motor was quieter, the wind noise was non-existent. Almost immediately I heard a siren, turned out it was a couple of blocks away...good test.

But now that I'm used to them I can still hear tire noise from trucks and horns or sirens just fine. and the wind noise is back, just at a much lower level. I would say that if they were offered with a few dB more noise reduction I would take that. your ears are amazing things.

Now if you're the kid that turns his stereo up in his car so loud that it shakes all the rest of the cars at the light, you're not going to hear anything while the music up and soon won't hear anything at all when the music is off. The great thing about the in-ear speakers is that the music can be played much lower. They work great with the output signal from my MP3 player and my Sirius sattelite radio--both of which I keep the level set just above the middle--so you don't need a sound system unless you want to mix in a radar detector or something like that.

--Jerry

No_Twilight
Before you make your decision and go with EarInc. take a look at Sensaphonics . I've used EarInc.'s for three years and switched to Sensaphonics because the EarInc. ones will only last a few years if that before they fail completely.

I decided to buy a set of Shure earphones and have Sensaphonics make a pair of custom molded sleeves for them because I was tired of shelling out big dollars for something that I know will fail down the line and have to go and do this again.

They make sleeves for other types of ear phones also or you can buy their own one piece earphones like EarInc. but much better. They make one that's considered the best in the business but it's about $800.00.

These are the ones most professionals in the TV and Music industry use.

Trust me..........This company makes a very good product and the highend stuff is guaranteed for life, so says my audiologist.

I'm not sure how you tell quality in these things. Both of these are much more expensive than my Challengers which were around $200 including the audiologist fitting. I'll have the say that the quality of workmanship on the Challengers is very good and rugged and they should last very well. If they fail, you can replace them twice before you get to $600.

As for the sound quality, I'd say the Challengers are very good but I haven't listened to the others.

--Jerry

Bob

Your ears adapt to the sound levels they perceive. So if you make all the noises quieter, they become more sensitive. If you beat them up with wind noise, they become less sensitive. So when I first put the Challengers in everything sounded "different". The motor was quieter, the wind noise was non-existent. Almost immediately I heard a siren, turned out it was a couple of blocks away...good test.

But now that I'm used to them I can still hear tire noise from trucks and horns or sirens just fine. and the wind noise is back, just at a much lower level. I would say that if they were offered with a few dB more noise reduction I would take that. your ears are amazing things.

Now if you're the kid that turns his stereo up in his car so loud that it shakes all the rest of the cars at the light, you're not going to hear anything while the music up and soon won't hear anything at all when the music is off. The great thing about the in-ear speakers is that the music can be played much lower. They work great with the output signal from my MP3 player and my Sirius sattelite radio--both of which I keep the level set just above the middle--so you don't need a sound system unless you want to mix in a radar detector or something like that.

--Jerry

Wise advice! I also recommnend ear plug speakers, and specifically the Shure E3C noise cancelling ear buds. I had custom molded from ear-inc, and they lasted less than a month. The Shure comes with different sized soft rubber tips, so you can fit the size that is right for your ears (and several of each size in case you lose a tip). Put them in, keep the volume loud enough to hear but soft enough to not damage your ears, and you'll still be able to hear your engine, police sirens, etc., plus you won't damage your ears. I never ride without them.

Jim

Bob

The Challenger ear plugs have a 26dbNRR,similar to many other earplugs. They will allow you to hear sound through the noise block, but it is the user responsibility to control the volume of the music. This obviously applies to any earphone worn under a helmet. The beauty part is that with good noise isolation, the music can be heard clearly at a relatively low volume setting.

Yep! Like he said! tongue.gif

Archived