IGNORED

Side Cover Pin Repair

Michaelr11

Others have covered this issue before, but I thought I would add a simple materials list and straight forward replacement for the missing plastic pin on the R11xxRT side covers.

I went to a local hardware store that carries metric hardware. Purchased a 5 mm cap head screw, that I think was described as 5 x 20 mm. Two nuts that thread onto the screw were also bought.  

A hole was drilled into the cover at the spot where the original plastic pin once stood. The screw is put into the hole in the cover with one nut one each side of the plastic backing piece. In this case, I was replacing a missing pin on the LEFT cover which pretty much never falls off anyway - this was just an exercise. Since the left side is so tight anyway, the length of the exposed screw was too long even screwed all the way into the hole, so I filed away some of the screw to make it shorter. As you can see from the photo of the finished repair, I also filed away some of the caphead to allow it to get in and out of the rubber gasket easier. Once I was satisfied with the size and position of the screw I placed a small bit of JB Weld epoxy (I used Plastic Bonder, but Kwik Weld would also work) on the exposed nut and screw threads to keep it in place.

Side Cover Pin Fix1.JPG

Side Cover Pin Fix2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My plastic side cover pins were rounded out from a previous owner. 

I ordered two new pins ($14.00) from a BMW dealer, they arrived within a week. 

Drilled out the old ones and made sure to not damage the lock washer that holds them in on the back side of the panel. 

3 hours ago, Kirkus said:

My plastic side cover pins were rounded out from a previous owner. 

I ordered two new pins ($14.00) from a BMW dealer, they arrived within a week. 

There are two "pins" on the covers.  One is removable and twists into position to lock the cover in place - and it is orderable and replaceable.

The other pin is molded into the cover and just fits into the rubber bush on the fairing side panel.  This is the one that sometimes breaks off and that is the fix that I described in the first entry.

Cover_Right.JPG