IGNORED

need light for night work

randy

I am working in the evenings.  8pm - 10:30pm.  I need a really good LED headlamp.  I am thinking at least 500 - 800 lumens but I am wondering if I need more.  anyone with personal experience using headlamps in a night time walking environment I could use some recommendations.  I have seen 500 lumens using 3 AAA batteries all the way up to 6,000 lumens using an external rechargeable battery pack.  Just not sure what I need.

You might consider posting your question on candlepowerforums.com. Those folks are as passionate about flashlights as we are about motorcycles, and as knowledgable.

I've stumbled recommendations in several places for the WOWTAC A2S, enough that it's on my Amazon wishlist (things I want but don't really need)  for Christmas. 

Rechargeable via microUSB, waterproof, five brightness settings from 0.3 to 1050 lumens, no need to cycle through modes every time you turn it on, can be used without the headgear. ~$30.

Beam pattern and other video "reviews" on YouTube.

RandyShields

I have found that Fenix flashlights and headlamps are fantastic.  They light up a backyard with little effort.  Here are their headlamps. I have the HL 30, which works great, but for more $$, there are more lumens available.

RandyS

I’ve got a Fenix rechargeable. I can’t recall which model, and it’s too much effort to walk out to the shed in my PJs, but I have had good luck with this and other Fenix LED products. 

I am an admitted flashlight , worklight junkie. 

Its killing me to NOT click on the above links. 

Just     one     more      

I have a variety of flashlights and headlamps for different purposes.  Get an Energizer brand headlamp.  LINK.  I bought this specifically for work as I'll occasionally have to go in on an alarm in the middle of the night, and have to fix some mechanical issue (replace a motor, pump etc.) outside, where it's pitch black and pouring rain.  300-something lumens is plenty of light for most needs.  It's remarkable all the way around:  durable, cheap, lightweight, compact and easy on the batteries.  I think now I can toss out a drawer full of inferior units that were also more expensive.

I'm done with AAA battery powered flashlights.  

The 18650 Ll-ion battery is the way to go in my opinion. 

Im quite pleased with my Nitecore HC60  

it has a voltage level indicator so you know when to recharge. 

I unscrew the battery cap just a tast when done using to make sure it doesn't acidently get turn on (it lives in my tank bag).  

I also have their P12GT along with a US made holster that I use for work. 

Both lights have selectable output.

Nitecore is pricy but the only issue I've had was on the battery's + tip compressing & not making proper contact (due to the polarity gard).

A blob of solder added to the tip fixed that.  

I tend to drop the flashlight from time to time so I take responsibility for this issue.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Ooooh,  flashlights!  I can never have enough flashlights.  Thanks for the links.

“But Wait, There’s MORE”

Nightcore has this slick USB portable charger that I keep in my tank bag along with a spare battery.
The charger will not only charge a battery but you can also use it and a full battery to charge your phone.

Oh, & it has a💡 too:thumbsup:

• Like 1

thanks for the updated comments and links.  I am intrigued by the 18650 Ll-ion battery option.  but at 1/2 the price the energizer option is nice. 

also the 18650 at 420 lumens lasts 2.5 hours

the 3 AAA battery at 315 Lumens last 50 hours. 

Considering I work around 3.5 hours each night the 18650 option has its limitations

maybe I will bite the bullet for the group and get one of each and do a write up :-)

1 hour ago, randy said:

thanks for the updated comments and links.  I am intrigued by the 18650 Ll-ion battery option.  but at 1/2 the price the energizer option is nice. 

also the 18650 at 420 lumens lasts 2.5 hours

the 3 AAA battery at 315 Lumens last 50 hours. 

Considering I work around 3.5 hours each night the 18650 option has its limitations

maybe I will bite the bullet for the group and get one of each and do a write up :-)

Im not sure how Energizer managed to break the laws of pyisics with their claim. 

One AAA battery has a capacity of 1AH while one 18650 battery has got 3.5 AH. When placed in a series, 3XAAA still provide a capacity of 1AH. In short, the 18650 battery delivers a capacity that is 3 times greater than that of 3XAAA batteries. 18650batteries are rechargeable and most of them are made of lithium-ion.

https://totalguide.org/18650-vs-aaa-battery/

Likely this run time is on the lowest power level.  

The 18650 system cost is twice as much (or even more) because it's a rechargeable solution vs disposable. 

Its a buy once, cry once situation.  

A quick Amazon check shows the Energizer Max AAA about .50¢/battery or $1.50/change x 3 = $4.50/run time of each 18650 charge.  

In other words the 18650 will save you $4.50 each time it's recharged.  

Regardless of what brand you end up with, my advice is 18650 (with a spare battery), selectable output, last setting memory & battery level capability. 

Edited by ESokoloff
Additional content

yes I knew the 18650 was cheaper long term.  I am a CPA so figures are my life :-)

I guess I did not know that the Energizer rating did not make sense.  but now I see the 50 hours is at the low setting and at the 315 Lumens setting it is 6 hours.

Assuming I go with recharable AAA batteries that still gets me full light for the whole evenings work, with no battery change.  but the 18650 would require a second battery and a battery change each night

so basically 26.00 + 20.00 for rechargeable AAA battery set up is 46.00

HC60 is 60.00 plus a second 18650 3400MAH battery at 19.00 is 79.00

thanks for the information. 

one I did not realize full 315 lumens it is only 6 hours run time, and to be cost effective that necessitates usage of rechargeable AAA batteries . 

Two I guess I could keep a USB cord in my truck and charge the HC60 for about 10 minutes to get me enough power to last the 3.5 hours.

Three really I only work 3.5 hours on Sunday.  it is more like 2.5 Monday - Thursday.  so the 18650 has some merit

As the link I posted states, 18650 holds nearly 3 times the energy of 3 AAA

I know this as I used AAA before I made the switch to 18650. 

The original Tesla Roadster, Model S, & Model X use 18650's (albeit 6k+) as do cordless tools, laptops, & many other modern battery powered devices. 18650 is a very efficient battery. I believe only the 2170 battery is more efficient and is used in the Tesla Model 3.  

Also note that the run time on the Energizer will be with the supplied/non rechargeable 50¢/each type.

Bottom line, you have to do what makes you feel right. 

Ride your own ride, own your own headlight:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

so right now I have done nothing.  they added an additional light in the area I work, and it has made a big improvement.  But I am still looking

My wife picked up a couple of cheap flashlights similar to the Energizer listed above, I'm sure she didn't spend more than $5 or $10 each, probably from Fleet Farm, the man's mall. They work fine for me in the garage, batteries so far seem to be lasting forever (no idea what type). Pick up something cheap for now just to see if it works for you. Don't be paralyzed by all your options! You can have more than one...

• 1 month later...

I have been using two Foxelli rechargeable headlamps here in Senegal. USB rechargeable. Great for bicycling at night. Wide enough beam for reading.

There's an alternative red, night vision saving mode that I thought was overkill until I saw someone turn it on red mode, flashing and wear it on the back of his head while bicycling at night. It was highly visible from behind. Now, on the rare occasions I bike at night I wear one for forward vision and the second set to red/flash on the back.

I think they're about $15 on Amazon. Dirt-cheap and excellent quality.

Foxelli USB Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight - 180 Lumen, up to 40 Hours of Constant Light on a Single Charge, Bright White Led + Red Light, Compact, Easy to Use, Lightweight & Comfortable Headlight

From Google:What is an 18650 battery?

The 18650 battery is a lithium-ion cell classified by its 18mm x 65mm size, which is slightly larger than a AA battery. They’re often used in flashlights, laptops, and high-drain devices due to their superior capacity and discharge rates. 18650s come in both flat and button top styles, and usually boast 300-500 charge cycles.

Santa brought the WOWTAC A2S that I mentioned earlier.  It included an 18650 3400 mAh battery which has a microUSB port built into it for charging, so it can be charged using my phone's cord and charger.  Plain 18650's usually need a separate charger, costing about 5 to 15 dollars.

Randy, I think you may need fewer lumens (and less battery capacity) than you expect.  I find the Low setting on the A2S to be enough for walking in actual darkness, though I might use Medium if my night vision had been reduced by moving in and out of lighted areas.  This is the chart that came with my light, and a test review here says that the claims are not inflated.  I've not used mine enough to need a recharge yet.

image.png.58f0ff6cc7d7ab34c5bb4767ebd9f4f2.png

High would be plenty for riding a bicycle, it easily lights the road 150 feet ahead, and seems like overkill for walking speeds. Note that the bicycle lights doc47 uses are 180 lumens.

Just to round out the A2S light levels, Firefly is perfect for reading without burning out your retinas with reflected light and uses almost no power.  Probably great for finding stuff in your tent in the middle of the night, too.  Low is for work at arm's length, Medium for work in a larger area. High finds that tiny part that skidded across the garage floor. My wife likes High for finding cobwebs in the corners and dust on the baseboards. (If you need a special bright light to see them, do they matter?) Turbo lights up trees 450 ft away, and makes folks say "WOW" - I've not really needed it yet.