IGNORED

Motorcycle Dolly?

Sonor

I was looking at the MC Dolly at Harbor Freight for $89 - anyone know of one that is better for roughly the same cost?  It will just make turning the bike in the garage a lot easier.

2 hours ago, Sonor said:

I was looking at the MC Dolly at Harbor Freight for $89 - anyone know of one that is better for roughly the same cost?  It will just make turning the bike in the garage a lot easier.

Afternoon Sonor

I can't comment on the HF  dolly but can give a caution on those things so do some research before committing.

A few years back I had a friend that bought one (same reason as you give, turning bike around in garage). I'm not sure what brand it was (looked similar to the HF dolly).

In any case he seemed pleased right up until he wasn't.  He was riding the bike up on the dolly & got the front wheel up on it but then something happened (I'm not sure what), it might have moved or he didn't ride on fast enough, or ????

In any case he got the front wheel  on it but the rear wheel didn't make it onto the dolly, he then couldn't reach the ground & dumped the bike over. Seeing as the bike was higher than on the ground & he was no where near being able to get a good foot down to break the fall it caused quite a bit of damage to the motorcycle.   

Sonor...I've not see the  HF in use.  Maybe go to one of their stores and try it out.  I have seen the Legal Speeding park and move in use and it seems to work well.  As DR says once on these devices it's highly unlikely your feet will reach the ground.  On the legal speeding one you aren't on the bike...however it is significantly more expensive.

I was at a BMW rally 3-4 years ago and the owner was there.  He offered a rally price that day for about 1/2.  You might check and see if any rallys near by and maybe you could get a deal.  I have the same issue in my garage but I solve it by screaming at the wife parking in the middle :)  Then she tells me where I can park it if I don't like it.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Not cheap, but worth looking at HERE

That thing is Wicked.   Love those wheels.  Wonder how it does on a floor that isnt super smooth.

dynamoto-motorcycle-stand-single-swingar

I saw in one of the photos under Testamonials that one was sitting on some pavers, which is not exactly smooth.  I may not be a bad idea to contact them for that type of question.

John Ranalletta
45 minutes ago, EvilTwin said:

That thing is Wicked.   Love those wheels.  Wonder how it does on a floor that isnt super smooth.

dynamoto-motorcycle-stand-single-swingar

Tasker Day used one of these for his '15 GS.  It's super simple and agile.  He'd move his bike from the main garage to a small storage room easily.  I was going to buy it but he sold it with the GS.  This is slick and no balancing act.

https://www.dynamotousa.com/products/bmw-front-and-rear-stand-set

I have the Park n Move dolly and am overall very happy with my ‘14 R1200RTW on it. It is relatively easy (I’m moving well over 600 lbs) to move into the “slot” space between my car and the wall and allows the bike to snug up against the wall.  It is more effort to get it up on the center stand as you have to lift the bike higher. It is quite stable on the stand, although I can feel the dolly flex a bit when I gingerly get on the bike when it’s on the stand (very rare circumstances). I can lift the front wheel easily if I need to rotate the bike around a fixed spot by pushing down on the back of the bike (thanks to where BMW placed the center stand). You need to be careful moving the bike forward over any surface change (such as the grooves in concrete slabs or going from concrete slab to a piece of carpet- I like to work on the bike on old carpet as it’s much easier on my knees) where the dolly wheels might catch a bit, as you could push the bike off the dolly/center stand unexpectedly. Just move it  forward carefully or move it backward over the surface change (the center stand is locked when moving the bike on the dolly backward). Also beware of sloped driveways or garage slabs as the bike on the dolly can drift in unexpected directions. It can be hard to set the dolly brakes in those circumstances.