IGNORED

Something is missing 09 R1200RT_P

Frank A

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury:

As mentioned previously, I have another project bike, a 2009 R1200RT_P that was crashed and retired by the CHP. As part of the crash, the support for the muffler and LH Rear Footrest snapped off. See the pictures below.

My question is, can a replacement hanger be welded to the subframe?

Another thought: used to be, if you were welding on a frame, you removed the battery so as to not create a problem. With all the computers and electrics on these bikes how much more has to be protected?

20190929_111938.jpg

20190929_111947.jpg

20190929_111954.jpg

16 hours ago, Frank A said:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury:

As mentioned previously, I have another project bike, a 2009 R1200RT_P that was crashed and retired by the CHP. As part of the crash, the support for the muffler and LH Rear Footrest snapped off. See the pictures below.

My question is, can a replacement hanger be welded to the subframe?

Another thought: used to be, if you were welding on a frame, you removed the battery so as to not create a problem. With all the computers and electrics on these bikes how much more has to be protected?

Morning Frank

You can weld on a new muffler hanger but you can also make a bolt-on hanger that wraps around the frame tube. You will probably have to make your own anyhow as I don't believe that you will find any of the frame parts.

As for welding to the frame doing electrical damage. It can but if the welder ground clamp is placed as close to the weld as possible then has a GOOD CLEAN solid ground attachment then it won't cause any damage.

I have welded on a number of modern electronics bikes without problem but I do take great care in getting a proper ground cable attachment as close as possible to the weld area on a paint-free surface. (never attach the ground cable so the ground path has to travel  through a bolted joint or through paint or rust).

The welding current will seek it's path of least resistance so you want to give it that path direct to the ground cable not through the electrical system or back through the motorcycle wire harness.