IGNORED

Fork Bridge/Ball Joint Issues

roger 04 rt

I came across a thread the other day, in German, and read through it using translate.google.com. The topic is “Unstable Driving Behavior”, something that I’ve kept my eye on due the the different steering response between my 2017RT and both my 1150s: http://www.gs-forum.eu/r-1200-gs-lc-und-r-1200-gs-adventure-lc-135/instabiles-fahrverhalten-128323/

The thread is 77 pages long but the bottom line seems to be a BMW-acknowledged occasional defect In the front suspension ball joint and fork bridge.

I’d be interested in your reactions to what they’ve found and any knowledge others have about this issue surfacing in the US.

Apparently, initially even some of the replacement units were defective. Late in the thread they discussed “golden parts”. Here is the google translate version:

68A12C0E-0974-4D1C-AAE6-66065B5957B9.thumb.jpeg.355f6c8dba7f2781eebc094e7b5adc2a.jpeg

It would be great to get someone who could translate that translation into an English that I could understand. I am afraid I haven't got a clue what he is talking about! 

3 hours ago, AndyS said:

It would be great to get someone who could translate that translation into an English that I could understand. I am afraid I haven't got a clue what he is talking about! 

If you read through the site, it may remind you of your bike. What surprises me is the sheer number of posts over quite a long period and in the end, BMW was replacing the part. There’s something there.